Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
“This guy went almost six days and never got taken to the hospital with a broken neck,” Daniel Smolen, his family’s attorney, told the Daily Beast. “They’re throwing food at him and making fun of him in the cell while he’s going through a horrific death. You wouldn’t do that to an animal or any living thing.”

His family has filed a federal lawsuit.

Most of what happened to Elliott while in custody was captured on jail surveillance camera.

“It’s a slow, torturous death,” Smolen said. He told the Daily Beast that it’s the worst civil rights violation he’s seen on film. “You’re cognizant of it the whole time. It’s like a nightmare.”

Just one segment of the video shows Elliott lying immobile on his back for hours after officers dragged him into his cell.

At one point, jailers dragged an immobile Williams into the shower and left him there. Another officer saw him screaming for help while lying face-down in the shower. One captain later recalled this incident while testifying, saying Williams “would not stand up but we did give him a shower anyway.”

A mental health worker told Williams’ father, “He’s acting like he’s paralyzed, but we know he’s not.” His family says jail staff insisted he was faking and refused to transport him to get proper medical care until it was too late.

Its not their fault tho...I'm sure they meant well and that should count for something. His only alleged crime was misdemeanor obstruction.

Yet another day in the job of America's "finest."

Oh well. I guess they will be using the standard "I feared for my life" defense.

That's pretty terrible. If it's true, I hope they go to jail.

“This guy went almost six days and never got taken to the hospital with a broken neck,” Daniel Smolen, his family’s attorney, told the Daily Beast. “They’re throwing food at him and making fun of him in the cell while he’s going through a horrific death. You wouldn’t do that to an animal or any living thing.”

Most of what happened to Elliott while in custody was captured on jail surveillance camera.

“It’s a slow, torturous death,” Smolen said. He told the Daily Beast that it’s the worst civil rights violation he’s seen on film. “You’re cognizant of it the whole time. It’s like a nightmare.”

Just one segment of the video shows Elliott lying immobile on his back for hours after officers dragged him into his cell.

At one point, jailers dragged an immobile Williams into the shower and left him there. Another officer saw him screaming for help while lying face-down in the shower. One captain later recalled this incident while testifying, saying Williams “would not stand up but we did give him a shower anyway.”

A mental health worker told Williams’ father, “He’s acting like he’s paralyzed, but we know he’s not.” His family says jail staff insisted he was faking and refused to transport him to get proper medical care until it was too late.

Its not their fault tho...I'm sure they meant well and that should count for something. His only alleged crime was misdemeanor obstruction.

Through the entire video I saw the guy moving his hands and feet, unusual for someone who has a broken neck, and I didn't see any taunting or food throwing.

I await further evidence before rendering an opinion

One question: Was there medical staff at the jail and did they see him??

Our local media tried to stir up a nearly identical story here in Charleston but it ended up being completely on a medical worker and had nothing to do with jail staff.

Answer me that and then I'll comment.

Through the entire video I saw the guy moving his hands and feet, unusual for someone who has a broken neck, and I didn't see any taunting or food throwing.

I haven't watched video yet but assumed that's how it would be.

The new trend is media trolls civil lawsuit documents for claims against law enforcement and then uses the CLAIMS as their headline. As if the trial lawyers claim is accurate. Because we know lawyers would never sensationalize anything.

Obviously you don't know much about the effects of a broken neck. Are you really questioning if his neck was actually broken?

Obviously you don't know much about the effects of a broken neck. Are you really questioning if his neck was actually broken?

Holy shit, do you idiots speak English at all? Every thread I'm in in , it's the same thing, I type something and someone says "did you really mean............"

I mean EXACTLY what I type, and in this case I CLEARLY typed that I don't see enough evidence to say he had a broken neck nor did I see taunting or food throwing. PERIOD.

That's not unusual. That's where your assumption took a wrong turn

Holy shit, do you idiots speak English at all? Every thread I'm in in , it's the same thing, I type something and someone says "did you really mean............"

I mean EXACTLY what I type, and in this case I CLEARLY typed that I don't see enough evidence to say he had a broken neck nor did I see taunting or food throwing. PERIOD.

I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt. Don't you think they actually checked the dead body for a broken neck before making the accusation? Obviously the video shown didn't include the entire time he was in jail. You're just an idiot.

2011? One case of medical negligence in five years, and this equates to systematic....what again?

2011? One case of medical negligence in five years, and this equates to systematic....what again?

Systematic nothing...no one said 1 case was systematic anything
Ok so you agree that it was a tragic anomaly, and there is no reason to have anger over this.

Uh what? They let a man die for 6 days and because it doesnt happen systematically then no one should object to it?

Thats funny...

Forum List

Back