Could the US congress overturn court decisions

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I believe the congress has the power to remove the supreme courts appellate jurisdiction over certain cases. I read about it in the federalist papers one time and it was designed to put a check on the supreme court's power over U.S. and state laws. It is rarely used in the modern era but the power still exist. Should congress start using it in order to undo some recent court decisions.

It just makes sense because it seems kind of undemocratic if twelve unelected people can decide the fate of laws in this country. I think if a court decision is popular then such a power will never be used since those precedents create something the people like which sounds democratic. However, it seems that it becomes quite undemocratic if precedents are extremely unpopular and the people can't do anything about them.

I believe the congress has the power to remove the supreme courts appellate jurisdiction over certain cases. I read about it in the federalist papers one time and it was designed to put a check on the supreme court's power over U.S. and state laws. It is rarely used in the modern era but the power still exist. Should congress start using it in order to undo some recent court decisions.

It just makes sense because it seems kind of undemocratic if twelve unelected people can decide the fate of laws in this country. I think if a court decision is popular then such a power will never be used since those precedents create something the people like which sounds democratic. However, it seems that it becomes quite undemocratic if precedents are extremely unpopular and the people can't do anything about them.

Congress can impeach judges and justices- supposedly for committing crimes but in reality the Constitution would allow Congress to impeach Sotomayor for being Puerto Rican if they wanted to.

But Congress has no authority to overturn any court decision.

Forum List

Back