Cricket : Test Series : India vs England

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
India defeats England in the second test to gain a lead of 1-0. I was surprised to see English batsmen struggling against bouncers. Given the climate and the pitches of England, they should have been experts on playing bouncers. Ishant Sharma from India took 7 wickets and was mainly responsibly for dismantling English batting lineup. A good performance by the Indian pace-man.

---

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4g6oQKzYpw]India vs England - Ishant 7-74 Wickets VIDEO 2nd Test Day 5 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Sharma’s career-best helps India overpower England at Lord’s - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

I have tried to watch cricket...I just don't understand it. There was a match on ESPN not too long ago...they never explained the rules...I tired so hard to get into it.

I have tried to watch cricket...I just don't understand it. There was a match on ESPN not too long ago...they never explained the rules...I tired so hard to get into it.

I learned about baseball by watching baseball games on TV. In beginning it did not make any sense but more I watched, more I recognized patterns and from these patterns, I was able to discern rules of the game. Later on I started playing baseball and the remaining mysteries were undone that way.

I think cricket is a bit more complex and I think it will be very hard for you to figure out the game without someone explaining it. Once you fall in love with cricket though, no other sport will satisfy you.

I will get you started with this video; let me know if you have any questions:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFAOOsZwYkg]Introduction to Cricket - YouTube[/ame]

I learned about baseball by watching baseball games on TV. In beginning it did not make any sense but more I watched, more I recognized patterns and from these patterns, I was able to discern rules of the game. Later on I started playing baseball and the remaining mysteries were undone that way.

I think cricket is a bit more complex and I think it will be very hard for you to figure out the game without someone explaining it. Once you fall in love with cricket though, no other sport will satisfy you.

Baseball was my sport, played in HS and some college. so naturally, cricket has always peaked my interest, but there is little access to it in the states. I will give the video a look...but who knows the next time a cricket match will actually be televised here.

Only 2 people bat..not the whole team? Do the two that bat change every inning.

The whole team bats - two people at a time. You have eleven players in each team. Your team bats till ten men of your team are out. Then the other team bats till their 10 men get out.

The whole team bats - two people at a time. You have eleven players in each team. Your team bats till ten men of your team are out. Then the other team bats till their 10 men get out.

Okay. Do they go through a line up or do you bat til you get out?

Baseball was my sport, played in HS and some college. so naturally, cricket has always peaked my interest, but there is little access to it in the states. I will give the video a look...but who knows the next time a cricket match will actually be televised here.

Cricket was the first sport I played. I also played some polo and soccer. I had always been curious about baseball due to its similarity with cricket. So as soon as got to the US, I tried my hands on baseball. I like it. I still go to batting cages every once in a while just to hit few balls. You can watch cricket in the US very easily. Both major satellite providers (DishNetwork and DirecTV) carry cricket packages. In addition, if you have ability to stream online, you could catch major cricketing actions on WillowTV.

Cricket was the first sport I played. I also played some polo and soccer. I had always been curious about baseball due to its similarity with cricket. So as soon as got to the US, I tried my hands on baseball. I like it. I still go to batting cages every once in a while just to hit few balls. You can watch cricket in the US very easily. Both major satellite providers (DishNetwork and DirecTV) carry cricket packages. In addition, if you have ability to stream online, you could catch major cricketing actions on WillowTV.

Yeah...no offense, but I'm not gonna buy a cricket package...streaming is an option as long as it is free...

Thanks for the idea...I think i'll hit the batting cage tomorrow! Regretfully, I can't even play softball anymore because my arm is so messed up. One day of throwing will make my arm hurt for weeks. It is pretty bad.

Yeah...no offense, but I'm not gonna buy a cricket package...streaming is an option as long as it is free...

Thanks for the idea...I think i'll hit the batting cage tomorrow! Regretfully, I can't even play softball anymore because my arm is so messed up. One day of throwing will make my arm hurt for weeks. It is pretty bad.

Unfortunately, free cricket package in the US is not possible. Even streaming will cost you. The demographic in the US that likes cricket is well off so the chances of prices going down is slim to none.

How did you hurt your arm? I used to suffer lots of injuries playing cricket. So I know how it feels.

Unfortunately, free cricket package in the US is not possible. Even streaming will cost you. The demographic in the US that likes cricket is well off so the chances of prices going down is slim to none.

How did you hurt your arm? I used to suffer lots of injuries playing cricket. So I know how it feels.

From pitching...throwing to many breaking balls...then I coached for a while...throwing batting practice pretty much brought it to an end.

From pitching...throwing to many breaking balls...then I coached for a while...throwing batting practice pretty much brought it to an end.

You are pretty skilled to be able to throw breaking balls. Very nice.

My specialty in cricket was batting. Even in baseball, I stayed away from pitching whenever I played. I just liked batting.

You are pretty skilled to be able to throw breaking balls. Very nice.

My specialty in cricket was batting. Even in baseball, I stayed away from pitching whenever I played. I just liked batting.

Not bragging, but I was a pretty good player. Pitching, I threw in the low 80's but my arm was through pitching wise by my sophomore year. After that, I was a utility player, meaning I could be trusted to play any position..including catcher (my favorite)...I was a contact hitter and versatile in the field, so coaches loved me. In college...I pretty much sat the bench and wasn't allowed to travel so I gave it up to play tennis so I could travel (which hurt my arm even worse).

I have tremendous respect for catchers in baseball. You have to squat for fairly long period of time. I could not do that. I tried it few times because I have done wicket keeping in cricket which is equivalent of catcher in baseball. In cricket, a pitcher (bowler) runs to get to the point from where he pitches the ball. It takes him some time to get there so you can pretty much stand in the meantime and only squat at the last moment when pitcher reaches the crease to pitch the ball. So it is easier on your knees and toes.

I was an opener batsman (hitter) for my team. My job was to stay on the wicket till the ball got old and soft.

I have tremendous respect for catchers in baseball. You have to squat for fairly long period of time. I could not do that. I tried it few times because I have done wicket keeping in cricket which is equivalent of catcher in baseball. In cricket, a pitcher (bowler) runs to get to the point from where he pitches the ball. It takes him some time to get there so you can pretty much stand in the meantime and only squat at the last moment when pitcher reaches the crease to pitch the ball. So it is easier on your knees and toes.

I was an opener batsman (hitter) for my team. My job was to stay on the wicket till the ball got old and soft.

Explain that.

Explain that.

Sure. That is where complexity of the sport starts to dawn on you. :)

Unlike baseball, where ball can be replaced with a new ball anytime, in cricket a ball must not be replaced till certain number of pitches have been thrown. It is the rule of the game. The reason for that is, unlike baseball where a ball is never actually bounced on the ground, in cricket a ball is bounced on the ground. The nature of the bounce and the associated rapid movement depends heavily on how new the ball is. This adds extra complication for the hitter (batsman). You have literally a tiny fraction of second to decide whether to go on the back foot for come on the front foot, how high the ball is going to bounce, whether it is moving away from you or it is moving into you. It requires quick reflexes to deal with it. However, as ball gets older, its movement is not as rapid, so it becomes easier to deal with it. So my job along with my partner was to make sure we did not get out till the ball was as old as possible. If a team loses rapid top order wickets, it can be in hell of a trouble as lower order batsmen may not be able to deal with rapidly moving ball. Actually, this was the prime reason why England lost to India. If you see the video that I posted, you will see that English hitters were struggling against balls that were bouncing high and heading towards their nose and chest. In addition to hardness of the ball, moisture in the air and grass on the ground can create a very formidable condition to bat. That is why in cricket we call grass and moisture natural allies of fast pitchers.

Last edited:
@Nutz

The video I posted earlier has been removed. So below is another video which highlights the struggle of English batsmen against balls that were bouncing high in the last match they lost to India.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08IJORcKRUI]Ishant Sharma's 7 Wickets from the 2nd test 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

The score was 100 - 2?????

Is that a common score?

I am going to sleep...thanks for the quick lesson. Im gonna download a cricket game on my tablet...see if I get it.

The score was 100 - 2?????

Is that a common score?

I am going to sleep...thanks for the quick lesson. Im gonna download a cricket game on my tablet...see if I get it.

Here is the scorecard for you:

Scoreboard INDIA (1st Innings) 295 (A.M. Rahane 103; J.M. Anderson 4-60). ENGLAND (1st Innings) 319 (G.S. Ballance 110, L.E. Plunkett 55 not out; B. Kumar 6-82). INDIA (2nd Innings) 342 (M. Vijay 95, R.A. Jadeja 68, B. Kumar 52; B.A. Stokes 3-51, L.E. Plunkett 3-65). ENGLAND (2nd Innings, overnight 105-4): S.D. Robson lbw b Jadeja 7 A.N. Cook c Dhoni b Sharma 22 G.S. Ballance c Dhoni b Shami 27 I.R. Bell b Sharma 1 J.E. Root c Binny b Sharma 66 Moeen Ali c Pujara b Sharma 39 M.J. Prior c Vijay b Sharma 12 B.A. Stokes c Pujara b Sharma 0 S.C.J. Broad c Dhoni b Sharma 8 L.E. Plunkett not out 7 J.M. Anderson run out 2 EXTRAS (B-13, LB-16, W-1, NB-2) 32 TOTAL (all out, 88.2 overs) 223 FALL OF WKTS: 1-12, 2-70, 3-71, 4-72, 5-173, 6-198, 7-201, 8-201, 9-216. BOWLING: Kumar 16-7-21-0; Shami 11-3-33-1; Sharma 23-6-74-7 (2nb); Jadeja 32.2-7-53-1; Vijay 4-1-11-0 (1w); Dhawan 2-0-2-0. RESULT: India won by 95 runs. UMPIRES: H.D.P.K. Dharmasena (Sri Lanka) and B.N.J. Oxenford (Australia). TV UMPIRE: R.K. Illingworth (England). MATCH REFEREE: D.C. Boon (Australia). MAN-OF-THE-MATCH: Ishant Sharma. FIRST TEST: Trent Bridge, match drawn. THIRD TEST: Southampton, July 27-31. FOURTH TEST: Old Trafford, Aug 7-11. FIFTH TEST: The Oval, Aug 15-19.

---

BTW, any team which scores 100 in a test cricket is most likely going to be in a big trouble. That is a low score even for ODI but it can be a fighting score for T20.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back