Customer service. Where did it go?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
I spent today on the phone. What should have/could have taken maybe an hour went on for so long, I had to plug in my phone in order to get it done.

I wanted to start internet at one of our houses and, since I feel really strongly about doing business with local firms and despise ATT, that's where I started. That house is in a small town, county seat, two local ISPs. Not one of them could do it for a reasonable amount, unless I wanted to go dial up. The big guys have it sewn up.

After 8 really long phone calls, I bit the bullet and called ATT. And got a "customer service rep" in - I don't know - deepest darkest New Delhi. Nope. I don't have anything against other countries hiring and paying their people but I do think US countries should hire Americans. Every damn thing he said, I had to ask him to repeat it. I had to call ATT a second time and got an American-sounding woman in 'new service' but she didn't know what the various plans amounted to. Heck, she couldn't even rattle of the prices of the plans. With each question I asked, she had to put me on hold to look it up. And of course, ATT is the cheapest for what you get. Didn't make a decision but if I can't find anything else, will probably go with ATT.

Then I wanted to discontinue our Direct TV at that house. We've got the full premium pkge at the lake house, $130 and some lesser pkge at the other house for about $90. since we don't watch any TV there, why pay it. It took forever just to discontinue that service but at least US English seemed to be his first language.

We had stopped trash pick up for the summer vacation so I called to have it started again. WCA, national firm because there's no local company. You'd-a thunk I was asking for the controls to a missile silo.

None of these people were outright rude but I got the distinct impression that they really didn't care if they got our business or not. Mostly, they sounded board with it all and I can't really blame them. Every one of the was probably sitting in a crappy little cubicle with a head set on and a photo of their kid in front of them. And they probably have to take the photo with them at the end of their shift because there's another shift coming on after they leave.

I'm sorry for your day! The bright side is that after going through everything you went through, Luddly, your thoughts were turned towards the people you were dealing with and how their life must be on a day to day basis - that they most likely are sitting in a tiny cubicle they share with others - therein have to take the photo of child with them at the end of their shift. You are a compassionate person. You have more patience after today then you had yesterday. I do not like ATT either.

After 8 really long phone calls, I bit the bullet and called ATT. And got a "customer service rep" in - I don't know - deepest darkest New Delhi. Nope. I don't have anything against other countries hiring and paying their people but I do think US countries should hire Americans. Every damn thing he said, I had to ask him to repeat it.

I'm shocked. You're not really an enlightened lybyryl at all, you're every bit as racist as these rabid conservatards. Your "equal rights" avatar is a lie; you hate everyone different from you, as this post proves.

Fellow lybyryls, we've been had. Luddly Neddite is a bigoted Teabagger protectionist in disguise.

After 8 really long phone calls, I bit the bullet and called ATT. And got a "customer service rep" in - I don't know - deepest darkest New Delhi. Nope. I don't have anything against other countries hiring and paying their people but I do think US countries should hire Americans. Every damn thing he said, I had to ask him to repeat it.

I'm shocked. You're not really an enlightened lybyryl at all, you're every bit as racist as these rabid conservatards. Your "equal rights" avatar is a lie; you hate everyone different from you, as this post proves.

Fellow lybyryls, we've been had. Luddly Neddite is a bigoted Teabagger protectionist in disguise.

Good grief.

As long as there are Americans out of work, I will stick with my belief that US companies should hire US workers. That would be Americans of any and all colors, creeds, religions.

He did sound Indian, he did say he was in India and I DO have trouble understanding heavily accented English.

As for equality - I believe other countries have the equal right to hire their own citizens to work for their companies.

How does any of that make me a racist?

I'm sorry for your day! The bright side is that after going through everything you went through, Luddly, your thoughts were turned towards the people you were dealing with and how their life must be on a day to day basis - that they most likely are sitting in a tiny cubicle they share with others - therein have to take the photo of child with them at the end of their shift. You are a compassionate person. You have more patience after today then you had yesterday. I do not like ATT either.

Thanks Jeri. Just really frustrating to try to get something simple done and have it go on and on for hours. I had planned to spend the day on a new commission and I never even opened the door to my studio.

Tomorrow ...

Good grief.

As long as there are Americans out of work, I will stick with my belief that US companies should hire US workers. That would be Americans of any and all colors, creeds, religions.

But not of all nationalities, citizenships, and certainly not of all immigration statuses. This is where your bigotry comes into play.

He did sound Indian, he did say he was in India and I DO have trouble understanding heavily accented English.

More blatant, unrepentant racism. Why can you not understand them? Do you not speak English? I've never had trouble understanding anyone from India in my life. In fact, their English is even easier to understand than most Americans'.

As for equality - I believe other countries have the equal right to hire their own citizens to work for their companies.

But only other countries? Why can't American companies hire foreign workers? Do you want to "keep America American" like a good little Ku Kluxer?

AT&T is not a good company of which to be a customer, in my mind.

Customer service is quality with a mandatory requirement.

I actually had a good experience today when I called the credit card company.
The new bill showed that I didn't pay up last month. I had entered it into Quicken, but forgot to pay it online like I usually do. Before I could even ask, the gal said she'd remove the charges and interest- over $90 worth. :thup:

The new bill showed that I didn't pay up last month. I had entered it into Quicken, but forgot to pay it online like I usually do. Before I could even ask, the gal said she'd remove the charges and interest- over $90 worth. :thup:

For all their hate-filled rants against the supposed evils of credit and debt, it seems to me that conservatards are completely overlooking the fact that credit card companies are among the nicest and most efficient out there, largely due to government regulations on their activities.

Liberal Media, I get it that you have the driest sense of humor this board has ever seen ( most likely ) but what happens when you tire of it and want to play it straight? ( egads!) Will it be the boy who cried wolf or do you expect people will quickly catch on to the "new you"?

For all their hate-filled rants against the supposed evils of credit and debt, it seems to me that conservatards are completely overlooking the fact that credit card companies are among the nicest and most efficient out there, largely due to government regulations on their activities.

You are a character!

Sometimes you make like, zero sense.

Here... git some. :slap:

LM,
"I've never had trouble understanding anyone from India in my life. In fact, their English is even easier to understand than most Americans'."
That is the biggest lie of the year so far.

Thanks Jeri. Just really frustrating to try to get something simple done and have it go on and on for hours. I had planned to spend the day on a new commission and I never even opened the door to my studio.

Tomorrow ...

I'm sure you are exhausted. For the record, I believe Liberal Media was having a little fun.

Sometimes you make like, zero sense.

Here... git some. :slap:

That is the beauty of her, Mr. H.! You've got to love her!

Back to you, I am so glad they waived that $90 fee for you without you even having to ask. It is wonderful when people just offer to do the right thing instead of having to argue, beg or plead for them to do it! My husband handles our bills but he is tenacious and the word no is not acceptable to him. He rejects no every time! I am different in that if someone says that is the price I say, okay! I'll pay it! lol... I feel it would be rude to talk someone down on the price of something. I don't want to insult them. Things are interesting at my house.

Last edited:
LM,
"I've never had trouble understanding anyone from India in my life. In fact, their English is even easier to understand than most Americans'."
That is the biggest lie of the year so far.

Bullshit, prove it.
First off, it's a popular topic, at work and in the neighborhood, as everyday people have a reason to call ATT, FIOS, National Grid, PSE&G, Hewlett-Packard, Gateway, Citbank, Chase Manahattan, etc...
Bad Customer Service pretty much almost destroyed Dell.

Every time I get connected to "Roger" I give him about 20 seconds before I politely tell him it's not his fault he can't enunciate words properly, it's the companies fault for routing my call to him.
I then politely request an American CSR.
I and my friends have done this so much that I believe some of us are in a database that routes us immediately to an American.

Your problem, being a Liberal, is that everything NOT American is great and everything American sucks.

AT&T is not a good company of which to be a customer, in my mind.

Customer service is quality with a mandatory requirement.

Not just ATT. Not long ago, I bought a shirt and discovered that one of the seams was not sewn. They actually suggested I keep the shirt and have it repaired.

Liberal Media, I get it that you have the driest sense of humor this board has ever seen ( most likely ) but what happens when you tire of it and want to play it straight? ( egads!) Will it be the boy who cried wolf or do you expect people will quickly catch on to the "new you"?

You mean she's JOKING?????

As to my tin ear, I speak both French and Spanish well enough to converse but have a hell of a time with French or Spanish accented English.

More proof of my racism?

Why is it that the R and L can't agree on the one point out of all of this - that American companies should hire American workers?

Forum List

Back