Da Vinci VS Michelangelo: Who WINS?

alpine

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
One day, Leonardo da Vinci was passing through the Piazza Santa Trinita in Florence. Some gentlemen were debating Dante in front of the Spini family palace. They called Leonardo over and asked him to explain the passage they were puzzling over, but just at that moment Michelangelo happened to come along and Leonardo instead suggested that the sculptor elucidate it.

This proposal annoyed Michelangelo. Instead of discoursing on Dante, he addressed Leonardo in the disrespectful "tu" form, and snapped back, "You explain it yourself, you who made the design of a horse to be cast in bronze, but who was unable to cast it." With that, he strode away, leaving Leonardo standing there, "made red in the face by his words".

Michelangelo had touched a sensitive spot. His rival's frequent failure to finish works – the horse in question was the gigantic monument Leonardo had begun in Milan – was due, he was alleging, to artistic deficiency. Leonardo couldn't do it.

And this is how it happened...

Personally I find Da Vinci being a dick here. Insulting Michelangelo like he did, was uncalled for. Shows his level...

One day, Leonardo da Vinci was passing through the Piazza Santa Trinita in Florence. Some gentlemen were debating Dante in front of the Spini family palace. They called Leonardo over and asked him to explain the passage they were puzzling over, but just at that moment Michelangelo happened to come along and Leonardo instead suggested that the sculptor elucidate it.

This proposal annoyed Michelangelo. Instead of discoursing on Dante, he addressed Leonardo in the disrespectful "tu" form, and snapped back, "You explain it yourself, you who made the design of a horse to be cast in bronze, but who was unable to cast it." With that, he strode away, leaving Leonardo standing there, "made red in the face by his words".

Michelangelo had touched a sensitive spot. His rival's frequent failure to finish works – the horse in question was the gigantic monument Leonardo had begun in Milan – was due, he was alleging, to artistic deficiency. Leonardo couldn't do it.

Personally I find Da Vinci being a dick here. Insulting Michelangelo like he did, was uncalled for. Shows his level...

That's hardly authentic. In the first place, daVinci was lefthanded. And a genius. Not finishing things is no contradiction.

Besides, I don't think even daVinci had invented the video camera then. These are actors.

Also "tu" isn't necessarily an "insult" -- it's a familiar form, used to address one who is socially equal or socially lower.

That's hardly authentic. In the first place, daVinci was lefthanded.

That doesn't prevent him from being a dick, does it?

I had to leave that as a partial post and go back and edit to finish because this site insists on taking pastes in invisible ink.

I don't see any evidence that either one was a dick. I see evidence that some hack TV writer wrote that in. Those are actors. It's not real.

In real life, da Vinci. Michelangelo was a genius in his own right, but no da Vinci.

I had to leave that as a partial post and go back and edit to finish because this site insists on taking pastes in invisible ink.

I don't see any evidence that either one was a dick. I see evidence that some hack TV writer wrote that in. Those are actors. It's not real.

If you think I put this video here because I though it was recorded in the time this event did take place, you are insane. This is the depiction of a famous event that did take place in the history, and yes, you got that part right, by some actors.

And as you pointed out, "tu": used to address one who is socially equal or socially lower.

If you think I put this video here because I though it was recorded in the time this event did take place, you are insane. This is the depiction of a famous event that did take place in the history, and yes, you got that part right, by some actors.

And as you pointed out, "tu": used to address one who is socially equal or socially lower.

Did you notice the word "or"? Did you notice how it was italicized? The whole point is that it's not necessarily addressing an inferior. We would presume these two are of equal social standing, therefore "equal". And that invites tu, unless one chooses to be formal. But the mere presence of tu does not necessarily equate to "insult". It isn't that simple.

Did you notice the word "or"? Did you notice how it was italicized? The whole point is that it's not necessarily addressing an inferior. We would presume these two are of equal social standing, therefore "equal". And that invites tu, unless one chooses to be formal. But the mere presence of tu does not necessarily equate to "insult". It isn't that simple.

Michelangelo don't refer back to him with "tu" however. And you know why; because he still respects him, up until this point of course.

But Da Vinci on the other hand; has no respect for Michelangelo, he thinks his art is inferior, his ideas are inferior, therefore, himself is inferior.

I don't find Da Vinci's characteristics appealing.
And his sculpting is horrible, and painting is inferior, compared to Michelangelo, imo...

Michelangelo don't refer back to him with "tu" however. And you know why; because he still respects him, up until this point of course.

But Da Vinci on the other hand; has no respect for Michelangelo, he thinks his art is inferior, his ideas are inferior, therefore, himself is inferior.

And his sculpting is horrible, and painting is inferior, compared to Michelangelo, imo...

Again, these are actors, and this is television. Or whatever it is, which means what we're seeing is not Michaelangelo and daVinci, but some scriptwriter's/director's depiction sculpted for TV. And that all by itself makes it dishonest.

Again, these are actors, and this is television. Or whatever it is, which means what we're seeing is not Michaelangelo and daVinci, but some scriptwriter's/director's depiction sculpted for TV. And that all by itself makes it dishonest.

And they are not making this up. The dislike between these 2 artists are well known.

Michelangelo and Rafael was not getting along well either. Especially after Rafael's affair with the Pope and getting Michelangelo fired...

And they are not making this up. The dislike between these 2 artists are well known.

Michelangelo and Rafael was not getting along well either. Especially after Rafael's affair with the Pope and getting Michelangelo fired...

We've established that there were no video cameras --- were there eyewitnesses who journaled down every word? Dooon't think so. For the fourth time, what we're seeing is some TV director's idea of what makes for a good scene on television.

When I suggested daVinci hadn't invented video I was being facetious. It was sarcasm to point out that a scene we might watch on TV bears no relation to the world of reality. Ever. If you're actually suggesting that we can catch a glimpse of a historical event from the boob tube, then clearly I'm not the one who is "insane".

I will agree Da Vinci's Art was not as great as Michelangelo but Da Vinci was one of the greatest minds in the history of humanity and that what makes him stand out over Michelangelo...

We've established that there were no video cameras --- were there eyewitnesses who journaled down every word? Dooon't think so. For the fourth time, what we're seeing is some TV director's idea of what makes for a good scene on television.

When I suggested daVinci hadn't invented video I was being facetious. It was sarcasm to point out that a scene we might watch on TV bears no relation to the world of reality. Ever. If you're actually suggesting that we can catch a glimpse of a historical event from the boob tube, then clearly I'm not the one who is "insane".

You are answering your own questions.
That's not gonna help you on the long rung, of course if you are looking to learn things that you don't have the knowledge of.

Anonimo Magliabechiano - Dictionary of Art Historians

"Anonymous author of a now fragmental history, likely written after 1541. The extent portion includes biographies of Florentine artists between the late 13th century and the 16th. The manuscript was discovered in 1755 in the Magliabechiano manuscript collection but only brought to the attention of scholars in 1892 by Karl Frey. Most recently the scholar Bouk Wierda has argued that the identity of the Florentine humanist and art connoisseur Anonimo is Bernardo Vecchietti (1514-1590)."

So, to answer your question; "were there eyewitnesses who journaled down every word?"
Yes, apparently there were...

I will agree Da Vinci's Art was not as great as Michelangelo but Da Vinci was one of the greatest minds in the history of humanity and that what makes him stand out over Michelangelo...

Da Vinci is much more humanist compared to Michelangelo.

For instance Da Vinci would prefer to paint an ordinary woman, where Michelangelo would rather paint gods or saints or angels...

I guess that's what makes Da Vinci more of a dick(which he was not necessarily needed to be), and much more important for the humanity...

But, as far as the art is concerned, Michelangelo is the better part...

Having seen Michelangelo's work in person, it's impossible imho, for anyone to be a better artist/sculptor...

Michelangelo's_Pieta_5450_cut_out_black.jpg

michelangelo-pic_2720828b.jpg

Sistine_chapel.jpg

Da Vinci was a genius and more well rounded, again, imo.

Yup. Michelangelo is one of the greatest artists to have ever lived. Da Vinci was one of the greatest thinkers to have ever lived.

For instance Da Vinci would prefer to paint an ordinary woman, where Michelangelo would rather paint gods or saints or angels...

I guess that's what makes Da Vinci more of a dick(which he was not necessarily needed to be), and much more important for the humanity...

All depends on what you're after. I'm far more drawn to a real woman than a "god, saint or angel".

Anyway comparing the two is apples and oranges. While they may have had some common activities, I think of daVinci much more as a scientist and intellect than as an artist.

All depends on what you're after. I'm far more drawn to a real woman than a "god, saint or angel".

Anyway comparing the two is apples and oranges. While they may have had some common activities, I think of daVinci much more as a scientist and intellect than as an artist.

Human beings first painted animals on caves walls
Then painted gods on temple walls
Then painted themselves on canvas, on their own walls

Michelangelo - Da Vinci is another break point in human history. And I think that was the whole reason they had this much tension between each other. In fact, there was the same tension between Michelangelo and Rafael.

Michelangelo is the traditionalist and conservative of his time,
While Da Vinci is the progressive and liberal...

Politics :)

Human beings first painted animals on caves walls
Then painted gods on temple walls
Then painted themselves on canvas, on their own walls

Michelangelo - Da Vinci is another break point in human history. And I think that was the whole reason they had this much tension between each other. In fact, there was the same tension between Michelangelo and Rafael.

Michelangelo is the traditionalist and conservative of his time,
While Da Vinci is the progressive and liberal...

Politics :)

Oh good gawd... :banghead:

im sure angelo was a dick also....i saw it in a film about him....

Forum List

Back