Damaged Body from Hip Replacement, Anyone Else?

jaminhealth

Dec 10, 2021
I reluctantly did an Anterior Hip Replacement in 2010, groin pain was unbearable and xrays showed full of spurs. So I did it and with good recommendations from others, but after 5 months post op, all went downhill. But groin pain is gone.

Damage Left With
Found Right Short leg
IT band Damage
Femoral Nerve Damage (major)
Trochanteric bursitis, inflammation (swelling) of the bursa
All the above has led to knee issues and foot/ankle. OA

Didn't use a walker before but can't be without it now.

Anyone relate?

I can’t relate to those specific circumstances, but as someone who suffered serious health consequences from surgeries meant to address only moderate health concerns, I understand the kind of frustration and regret you probably feel much of the time. Condolences and well wishes.

• Banned
Recruiting for a class action law suit?
No way, there are millions with damages from these "jobs", any surgery is a risk and you sign papers up the gazoo.

Once the body is cut, you are on your own. Now I've heard there were class action suits on replacement Parts of the manufacturers, but that's not my issue.

Oh I can relate alright...
The first surgery they went in from the front of the thigh. It was great for a bit over a year and I recovered quickly.
Then it started hurting in the exact same place it did when I got the surgery in the first place. I've now had five surgeries to try and correct it....No Joy.
I still have one surgery to go.
After the first one failed they went in from the side which causes way more damage. Had two hip dislocations after the surgery and that wrecked the nerves in my hip. I'm taking morphine daily and have to use a cane to walk.
The worst part...I'm only 56 and this crap all started when I was 50. I retired at 46 so I got 4 years before everything went South.

There's a lot more to the story,like back surgery and cancer surgery in those 6 years.

• Banned
Oh I can relate alright...
The first surgery they went in from the front of the thigh. It was great for a bit over a year and I recovered quickly.
Then it started hurting in the exact same place it did when I got the surgery in the first place. I've now had five surgeries to try and correct it....No Joy.
I still have one surgery to go.
After the first one failed they went in from the side which causes way more damage. Had two hip dislocations after the surgery and that wrecked the nerves in my hip. I'm taking morphine daily and have to use a cane to walk.
The worst part...I'm only 56 and this crap all started when I was 50. I retired at 46 so I got 4 years before everything went South.

There's a lot more to the story,like back surgery and cancer surgery in those 6 years.

Why would anyone do more surgeries? This is insane in my mind. The body was so damaged with the first one, and to do more.... Since my knee was a mess I was in UCLA for some help and they didn't he;p much at all until they finally did an MRI and found infection in the knee, the xrays showed no infection nor did the blood work I guess, they did plenty of both. And MRI what what was needed. After 2.5 months of Abx I'v's they took me in for knee clean out and t his did more damage --- they took out any good tissue that was left in the knee, cartlidge too.

Get me away from docs and their knives, this hip (front Anterior approach) has been a giant disaster. Good thing I got many yrs of work in as I didn't do it until 72....and I have been totally retired and pretty disabled.

Why would anyone do more surgeries? This is insane in my mind. The body was so damaged with the first one, and to do more.... Since my knee was a mess I was in UCLA for some help and they didn't he;p much at all until they finally did an MRI and found infection in the knee, the xrays showed no infection nor did the blood work I guess, they did plenty of both. And MRI what what was needed. After 2.5 months of Abx I'v's they took me in for knee clean out and t his did more damage --- they took out any good tissue that was left in the knee, cartlidge too.

Get me away from docs and their knives, this hip (front Anterior approach) has been a giant disaster. Good thing I got many yrs of work in as I didn't do it until 72....and I have been totally retired and pretty disabled.

Why get another surgery?
It's not like they can fuck it up any worse than it is.
And there's always that chance the next one will fix the issue.

• Banned
Why get another surgery?
It's not like they can fuck it up any worse than it is.
And there's always that chance the next one will fix the issue.

Well it won't fix the issue and will cause MORE arthritic damage. On another group a person talked about the fact that she had 40 surgeries and I had a very hard time believing her.

Are you in a wheelchair? Thankfully, I'm not but my walker is my 4 extra legs.

Well it won't fix the issue and will cause MORE arthritic damage. On another group a person talked about the fact that she had 40 surgeries and I had a very hard time believing her.

Are you in a wheelchair? Thankfully, I'm not but my walker is my 4 extra legs.

How do you get arthritic damage in a fake joint?
As I stated in my original post... "I'm taking morphine daily and have to use a cane to walk."

You don't get arthritis in the metal and plastic parts, you get it from all the complications and the damage done to tissues, nerves, cartlidge. I missed the morphine comment, that's a tough one. I'm truly sorry you are going thru all this at this young age especially.

Another story about a fellow in my apt bldg., he seemingly walked and did ok and then about 6 yrs ago he did a back surgery. I thought omg. But all seemed OK, then I saw him a year or so later and he had another back surgery and now using a cane...yikes.... He knows my feelings on surgeries but he thinks very western medicine. Then about a year ago I see him in the courtyard area and he tells me he had a hip replacement...so that's 3 major surgeries in a short time. He and I don't think alike. He's probably 72 or so right now.

You don't get arthritis in the metal and plastic parts, you get it from all the complications and the damage done to tissues, nerves, cartlidge. I missed the morphine comment, that's a tough one. I'm truly sorry you are going thru all this at this young age especially.

Another story about a fellow in my apt bldg., he seemingly walked and did ok and then about 6 yrs ago he did a back surgery. I thought omg. But all seemed OK, then I saw him a year or so later and he had another back surgery and now using a cane...yikes.... He knows my feelings on surgeries but he thinks very western medicine. Then about a year ago I see him in the courtyard area and he tells me he had a hip replacement...so that's 3 major surgeries in a short time. He and I don't think alike. He's probably 72 or so right now.

There isnt any cartilage in the knee anymore,which of course is why they had to replace it. It was bone on bone.
The nerves weren't damaged until after the second surgery when my hip dislocated twice.
I have to go in every 6 to 8 months for nerve ablation treatment which helps tremendously.

There isnt any cartilage in the knee anymore,which of course is why they had to replace it. It was bone on bone.
The nerves weren't damaged until after the second surgery when my hip dislocated twice.
I have to go in every 6 to 8 months for nerve ablation treatment which helps tremendously.

The docs love telling patients it's bone on bone. And the PROLO MD says as long as one can bend the knee and walk there is cartilage there....if there was not, one could not bend the knee at all, it would be like concrete if it was truly bone on bone. I've learned so much about this in the last 15 yrs or so. Surgeons business is surgeries.

My knee is very damaged from the hip surgery and the subsequent "clean out" at UCLA but I can bend it and bend it I do, I stretch and do as much as I can on my bed. And walk as much as I can with my walker. I use topicals for pain and to helps my knee working better and a fair amount of supplements for pain and 1 ibuprofen and a couple other pain things every 6 hrs.

The docs love telling patients it's bone on bone. And the PROLO MD says as long as one can bend the knee and walk there is cartilage there....if there was not, one could not bend the knee at all, it would be like concrete if it was truly bone on bone. I've learned so much about this in the last 15 yrs or so. Surgeons business is surgeries.

My knee is very damaged from the hip surgery and the subsequent "clean out" at UCLA but I can bend it and bend it I do, I stretch and do as much as I can on my bed. And walk as much as I can with my walker. I use topicals for pain and to helps my knee working better and a fair amount of supplements for pain and 1 ibuprofen and a couple other pain things every 6 hrs.

I saw it myself on the x-rays,and I was told years beforehand that it would become a problem.
Your hip will still bend but with considerable pain involved.

I saw it myself on the x-rays,and I was told years beforehand that it would become a problem.
Your hip will still bend but with considerable pain involved.

All I can say I'm more messed up since the hip replacement and if I could do things over, I would not and seek out as much as I could to stay away from the surgeon's knives and tools...

I reluctantly did an Anterior Hip Replacement in 2010, groin pain was unbearable and xrays showed full of spurs. So I did it and with good recommendations from others, but after 5 months post op, all went downhill. But groin pain is gone.

Damage Left With
Found Right Short leg
IT band Damage
Femoral Nerve Damage (major)
Trochanteric bursitis, inflammation (swelling) of the bursa
All the above has led to knee issues and foot/ankle. OA

Didn't use a walker before but can't be without it now.

Anyone relate?
2010, sadly enough, is ancient history.
Everyone I know who has had surgery within the last 5 years was back in the gym after 6 months.

2010, sadly enough, is ancient history.
Everyone I know who has had surgery within the last 5 years was back in the gym after 6 months.

How many do you know? How many failed hip replacements forums have you visited. Yeah, I was good 5 months after and then it all went downhill. Every story is unique. And 2010 is just like yesterday in my life, I live with the damage every day. Unless one has Never done this kinda major invasive job, they have no clue.

How many do you know? How many failed hip replacements forums have you visited. Yeah, I was good 5 months after and then it all went downhill. Every story is unique. And 2010 is just like yesterday in my life, I live with the damage every day. Unless one has Never done this kinda major invasive job, they have no clue.
Most of the people I know have had, and have, labor intensive jobs.

Every story is unique.

BINGO!

All I can say I'm more messed up since the hip replacement and if I could do things over, I would not and seek out as much as I could to stay away from the surgeon's knives and tools...

When my hip first started to give me problems I could stand the pain as it was moderate.
As time went by it got worse and worse to the point I had no choice but to go under the knife. In hindsight I do regret going in for the correction/revision as the results we're worse than the first time around.
But! I blame the surgeon on the botched second attempt. I caught him in several lies,like dislocations wont harm the nerves,an obvious lie. He said in front of several docs that the previous surgeon made my hip 1 7/8 longer than the right hip which was a total lie. It was only 3/4 of an inch longer which is a common practice to stop dislocations. As I said before what I told you was an edited version of what happened because the full story is kinda long.
When I had the first revision done I had the dislocations,afterwards I got a fungal infection in the hip called Candida,unbeknownst to me at the time this was going around in hospitals at the time. I had to have a PICC line installed in my upper arm that ran into my heart. This was installed so I could give myself intravenous drugs to combat the fungus. I had to give myself this treatment once a day for three months.
The Wife and I thought about suing but Texas passed a law several years back disallowing it after two years and you could only sue 200K
We really dont need the money,suing would only give us around 130K after the lawyers got their cut so whats the point?
1639338002008.png

Forum List

Back