Deacon John: 60 years of music

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
New Orleans legendary guitarist and vocalist Deacon John celebrates his 60th year in the music business at Tipitina’s, Saturday, June 17, 2017. The club, now boasting 40 years and a legend in its own right, perfectly suits the occasion on many levels. Deacon John & the Ivories not only performed at the Napoleon Avenue nightspot since its early days but Deacon was one of the original stockholders. Plus, even now, Tipitina’s retains that corner bar, neighborhood feel that tends to draw in old fans and fellow musicians making nights there special.
I was so excited about Tipitina’s being a live music venue to honor rhythm and blues musicians who were associated with Professor Longhair’s legacy,” Deacon remembers. “I was excited about the place opening up and paying tribute to the indigenous culture and music of New Orleans – Chris Kenner, Jessie Hill, K-Doe, Johnny Adams…”

When Deacon first started performing professionally in 1957, he was still in high school and was known simply as John Moore. “That’s when I started playing for money,” says Deacon of how he determined the year. Then, as is typical for the seriously humorous man, he starts laughing.

Deacon John, a master story teller gifted with an encyclopedic memory of the last six decades of New Orleans music, naturally has a million tales. One of the most interesting is, perhaps, how he evolved from John Moore to Deacon John.

In the late 1950s, the guitarist worked regularly with a band called the Ivories that included saxophonist Roger Lewis. When the leader left for California, the group disbanded.
http://www.louisianaweekly.com/deacon-john-60-years-of-music/

I love his voice.....and the guitar.

Forum List

Back