🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

"Death to all white cops" woman charged...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...with making terrorist threats in Atlanta.

Ebony.jpg

An Atlanta-area mom was arrested Tuesday after she called for “death to all white cops nationwide” on her Facebook page, police said.

Ebony Dickens, of East Point, was booked on terror-related charges a day after she posted a paragraph-long rant against white police officers on Facebook, investigators said.

Mom arrested for threatening cops in Facebook post police - NY Daily News

Same story, different source:

Facebook post threatening police lands woman in jail - CNN.com

That's actually kind of a tough one, I mean free speech and all, but then again she specifically said she was making plans; maybe that's the point where it "crosses the line" into being considered a credible terroristic threat? I'd hope that they would just give her some time to cool off, and maybe have her to talk to a psychologist or something rather than any jail time.

I can understand that view, I like cops quite a bit, but at the same time I'm not ready to say that this country has come down to people getting jail time for a FB threat; people like to talk shit about what they're "gonna do" on the internet, happens every day...

I hope she spends a very long time in a very small cell.

Why?
Does this type of behavior need to be addressed? Yes it does. Does that necessarily require a ‘long’ sentence in a small cell. Perhaps not. It would hinge on how serious the actual post was. I have a strong feeling that it was not serious in intent at all. More like mad raving. A short time in a cell will impart the understanding that the first amendment does not protect threats. There is no reason to incarcerate people that are not real threats.

Why?
Does this type of behavior need to be addressed? Yes it does. Does that necessarily require a ‘long’ sentence in a small cell. Perhaps not. It would hinge on how serious the actual post was. I have a strong feeling that it was not serious in intent at all. More like mad raving. A short time in a cell will impart the understanding that the first amendment does not protect threats. There is no reason to incarcerate people that are not real threats.

And how do you know if the threat is real? We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud do we? You threaten a private citizen, that's bad enough. You threaten a peace officer who has no choice but to operate in full view of the public (i.e. you can lure a cop to your residence by saying you need help then open up on him/her once they arrive--as a private citizen I have no obligation to show up) and I think you deserve an enhanced form of incarceration.

Why?

And how do you know if the threat is real? We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud do we? You threaten a private citizen, that's bad enough. You threaten a peace officer who has no choice but to operate in full view of the public (i.e. you can lure a cop to your residence by saying you need help then open up on him/her once they arrive--as a private citizen I have no obligation to show up) and I think you deserve an enhanced form of incarceration.
You know by investigating the person and behavior.

in this case she'll be out shortly according to Judge Napolitano and unless their were acts caused by her Free speech .

Why?

Fair enough. Do you think there should be enhanced penalties for threatening police officers and other public officials? I do.

I'm pretty sure in aging in inciting others to help you kill people is not protected speech.

I only heard Napolitano yesterday BlueGin , he said that unless there was immediate mayhem and murder that her speech was protected . I do not think that I misheard him . Think that the Judge was on Cavuto !!

course you do , scuttlebutt is that ALL government workers [public servants] like enhanced protection , benefits , favors for themselves !! Maybe you are one of them Candy !

Why?

Fair enough. Do you think there should be enhanced penalties for threatening police officers and other public officials? I do.
No, not really. I have an aversion with holding them as higher than an average citizen in such a regard. If I punch you in the face I don't see why I would get a lesser sentence than if I punched an officer in the face. I already am going to have to face the reality that I am far more likely to be charged (a cop has the authority and will be believed in court to get me charged) and that authority gives them all the extra protection that I would be willing to give them.

I only heard Napolitano yesterday BlueGin , he said that unless there was immediate mayhem and murder that her speech was protected . I do not think that I misheard him . Think that the Judge was on Cavuto !!
I don't much care what he said to be honest as I think that is utterly false. Directly threatening someone is an actionable offence. I think that is clear.

Forum List

Back