Debate over evolution now allowed in Tenn. schools

The true scientist questions everything. Even what we know as irrefutable facts are continually questioned, otherwise there would never be any scientific progress at all.

So what's next? When we have an earthquake will we have discussions about whether or not it was because the turtle moved? Or was it the elephants?!?! :confused:

View attachment 18325

The Turtle and Elephant myth.

Nobody believes that, making it a red herring argument. Look that up and you will improve you posting in the future.

Over 90% of humans, on the otherhand, suspect that there is more to the universe than non-directed bumping and grinding, and we welcome debate and discover on the subject.

The true scientist questions everything. Even what we know as irrefutable facts are continually questioned, otherwise there would never be any scientific progress at all.

So what's next? When we have an earthquake will we have discussions about whether or not it was because the turtle moved? Or was it the elephants?!?! :confused:

View attachment 18325

The Turtle and Elephant myth.

Nobody believes that, making it a red herring argument. Look that up and you will improve you posting in the future.

Over 90% of humans, on the otherhand, suspect that there is more to the universe than non-directed bumping and grinding, and we welcome debate and discover on the subject.

You don't even know what red-herring argument is.

And even though the numbers are still pathetic, I want to dispute Sniper's lie that most americans are evolution-denying idiots.

Tsk tsk. What you lack in reading comprehension you make up for in illogical leap.

'Belief' in evolution and an intelligence in the universe are not mutually exclusive.

Look that up.

And even though the numbers are still pathetic, I want to dispute Sniper's lie that most americans are evolution-denying idiots.

Tsk tsk. What you lack in reading comprehension you make up for in illogical leap.

'Belief' in evolution and an intelligence in the universe are not mutually exclusive.

Belief in an intelligence in the universe and denial that there's a guiding hand aren't mutually exclusive either. At least we have some evidence.

Look that up.

That's actually what I said with one of my first posts in this thread. Evolution doesn't deny ID. But for some reason you think you'll go to hell for believing basic science and not denying webster definitions.

Look that up.

I agree with sniperfire here. Evolution and intelligent design are not mutually exclusive.

Belief in an intelligence in the universe and denial that there's a guiding hand aren't mutually exclusive either. At least we have some evidence.

You must be one of those 'God winds the watch and just let's it run' types.

How mystical of you.

How mystical of you.

Far more rational to think God decides the outcome of sports games, or decides if you'll get a mosquito bite, or if the kid is gonna over cook your McDouble.

Look that up.

That's actually what I said with one of my first posts in this thread. Evolution doesn't deny ID. But for some reason you think you'll go to hell for believing basic science and not denying webster definitions.

No, that is another logical fallacy from you. Nobody has stated any 'reason' for why you are doomed.

Please up your game.

Then why don't kids in science class debate whether or not the Earth is the center of the solar system?

Because nobody believes that..

The Earth Is Not Moving
Guy Consolmagno Will Not Deny Geocentrism

There are some. A strictly literal reading of the Bible requires it. God stopping the sun and making it go backwards requires it:
Joshua 10:12,13
12Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

13And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
Obviously not possible in a heliocentric model.

Then there's
2 Kings 20:8-11
8And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What shall be the sign that the LORD will heal me, and that I shall go up into the house of the LORD the third day?

9And Isaiah said, This sign shalt thou have of the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing that he hath spoken: shall the shadow go forward ten degrees, or go back ten degrees?

10And Hezekiah answered, It is a light thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees: nay, but let the shadow return backward ten degrees.

11And Isaiah the prophet cried unto the LORD: and he brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down in the dial of Ahaz.
Also not possible in a Heliocentric model.

And there are still some people who hold to the strictly literal.

The interesting thing is that a geocentric model isn't impossible...You can construct a model with the frame of reference of the earth stationary and everything moving around it, but the math is insane. It's the equivalant of saying a car is stationary and the road is moving under its wheels. Possible to describe mathematically, but very difficult to do.

Last edited:

How mystical of you.

Far more rational to think God decides the outcome of sports games, or decides if you'll get a mosquito bite, or if the kid is gonna over cook your McDouble.

Perhaps, but such is a debate for a theology class. Please focus on the debate for science class.

No one is saying that evolution is a scientific law.

There should be an exploration, not just a debate, of all plausible scientific theories in science.

ID is not a scientific theory, though. It's a theory, but not a scientific one.

Regardless of the status of "scientific" theory, it still remains a major alternative to other theories. My problem is that evolution is taught as fact, but has tons of issues with it.
Evolution is not taught as a fact, unless the science teacher is incompetent (which is quite possible in public school). It's taught as a scientific theory, because that's exactly what it is.

ID is not a scientific theory, by definition.

Evolution is a fact. THe theroy of evolution explains that fact

How mystical of you.

Perhaps, but such is a debate for a theology class. Please focus on the debate for science class.
Sure.

Why do you want non-science taught in science classes?

Regardless of the status of "scientific" theory, it still remains a major alternative to other theories. My problem is that evolution is taught as fact, but has tons of issues with it.
Evolution is not taught as a fact, unless the science teacher is incompetent (which is quite possible in public school). It's taught as a scientific theory, because that's exactly what it is.

ID is not a scientific theory, by definition.

Evolution is a fact. THe theroy of evolution explains that fact

The greatest human minds once stomped their feet and insisted the world was flat. While I basically agree with you that there has been a progression of species, you should be careful on what you insist to be 'fact' in the face of our limited understanding.

But the good news is we are still debating it, especially in Tennessee!

Look that up.

No, that is another logical fallacy from you. Nobody has stated any 'reason' for why you are doomed.

Please up your game.

Si Modo-"You do know that ID is not, BY DEFINITION, a scientific theory, right? I gave you the link as to what makes a scientific theory."

Yourself-"That is your opinion, certainly shared by all of you doomed souls."

Obviously you're saying that anyone that buys in to the basic elementary level of science that says ID is not a scientific theory is a "doomed soul."

That's why you're a basic science denier, sadly someone has manipulated you into thinking that choosing to be an idiot is going to increase your chances of getting into heaven. Hence my pity for you.

Forum List

Back