Decline of the American Empire?

America is not an empire.
Oh yes it is.

I disagree with you there, gipper. How do you see the US as an empire?
Most of the world's nations are client states of the USA. All of Europe is controlled by the US. Central and South America with a few exceptions are client states. Much of Asia and the ME are client states. Russia and China are not, so the empire is looking to take them out.

Any nation that does not do what our worthless government and CIA tell them, can expect a shit storm.

I agree with that.

Abandonment of republicanism is the decline of nations. The Italian city-states, Swiss Cantons, Dutch Provinces, even England after the Glorious Revolution.

And Rome.

The prerogative rule of a central authority, be it from the few or the many - from an oligarchy or a liberal democracy - is our ruin.

You.....you do realize that the roman empire continued for longer than we've been a nation AFTER abandoning republicanism? That it reached its greatest military and territorial boundaries AFTER abandoning republicanism?

For any of you who may be familiar with the decline of the Roman Empire, do you see any parallels to the United States at this point in its history? In my view they are astoundingly similar, from the abandonment of public moral standards to paying off our adversaries (e.g., Iran) as they continue their inexorable encirclement. Is our current political process anything more than a modern version of bread and circuses for the masses?

The only difference I can see is the compression of time from centuries to decades. We became a world-dominant superpower in a fraction of the time it took the Romans. Is there any reason to believe that our decline won't be just as quick?

For anyone with an even passing acquaintance, they're uselessly dissimilar. The primary cause of the decline of the Roman empire was relentless civil wars and the single largest migration of people in recorded history......right through their territory.

We don't see either.

We have never ending wars and millions migrating from the south.

We have nothing like what the Roman's experienced. And it was the *civil* wars that tore the empire apart. With generals trying to make themselves emperor by force fighting the existing emperor or emperor wanna be. With every casualty a Roman. It obliterated entire legions. To destroyed the leadership of entire armies. And it lead to gross instability for centuries.

And the *mexicans?* They are migrant workers. They wash cars, flip burgers, pick tomatoes....and then go home. The Roman's faced massive invading armies in a migration of people unmatched in human history. With most of the roman military at the time of their fall being the very peoples that had invaded them lead by a handful or Roman military officers that had survived the devastating civil wars and plagues.

We have nothing like what they faced.

So you're saying we're not declining?

For any of you who may be familiar with the decline of the Roman Empire, do you see any parallels to the United States at this point in its history? In my view they are astoundingly similar, from the abandonment of public moral standards to paying off our adversaries (e.g., Iran) as they continue their inexorable encirclement. Is our current political process anything more than a modern version of bread and circuses for the masses?

The only difference I can see is the compression of time from centuries to decades. We became a world-dominant superpower in a fraction of the time it took the Romans. Is there any reason to believe that our decline won't be just as quick?

For anyone with an even passing acquaintance, they're uselessly dissimilar. The primary cause of the decline of the Roman empire was relentless civil wars and the single largest migration of people in recorded history......right through their territory.

We don't see either.

We have nothing like what the Roman's experienced. And it was the *civil* wars that tore the empire apart. With generals trying to make themselves emperor by force fighting the existing emperor or emperor wanna be. With every casualty a Roman. It obliterated entire legions. To destroyed the leadership of entire armies. And it lead to gross instability for centuries.

And the *mexicans?* They are migrant workers. They wash cars, flip burgers, pick tomatoes....and then go home. The Roman's faced massive invading armies in a migration of people unmatched in human history. With most of the roman military at the time of their fall being the very peoples that had invaded them lead by a handful or Roman military officers that had survived the devastating civil wars and plagues.

I'm saying the causes that lead to the Roman Empire's decline have got jack shit to do with the state of our country.

We don't see either.

I'm saying the causes that lead to the Roman Empire's decline have got jack shit to do with the state of our country.

The similarities are frightening and are staring us in the face. You cant deny the never ending wars, immorality....which is subjective and has always been around, debt, and borders.

Oh yes it is.

Most of the world's nations are client states of the USA. All of Europe is controlled by the US. Central and South America with a few exceptions are client states.

Client states send tribute. We have the exact opposite scenario......with almost all foreign aid going OUT of our nation. Not into it.
No. The tribute is provided to our leading corporations and oligarchy (1%) who in turn provide lots of money to the stinking lying politicians.

Libs will find some random point to criticize and won't discuss this. They usually dismiss such theories because they claim things like that don't happen in this day and age.

Since human nature never changes, neither will the desire for some to destroy what they don't agree with. Radicals vowed a long time ago that they'd take this country down.

Alinsky's Rules for Radicals and the Cloward-Piven strategy takes the tactics used to take down other countries in the past and teaches how to use them to bring down capitalist America. The left has been following those rules for decades.

Destroy the moral fabric of society, dumb down as many people as possible and get them dependent on government, disarm the public, ring up insurmountable debt and take control over energy, food and health care. Down we go.

50 years ago, liberals were talking about how they intended to infiltrate and change the education system. Check. They wanted control over health care. Almost check. They want control over energy. Working on that through bogus climate change solutions. They need control over all food. Hello, government protected Monsanto.

The useful idiots don't know they are useful idiots. If they could read and comprehend, they would go read Alinsky (I think that was Hillary's major) and Cloward-Piven and they would understand each and every thing Dems have done. As it is, they are still buying into the lie that the left is doing things for the greater good.

We don't see either.

The similarities are frightening and are staring us in the face. You cant deny the never ending wars, immorality....which is subjective and has always been around, debt, and borders.

The 'simiilarities' are imaginary clap trap on par with assuming that a tricycle and a fighter jet are the same thing because they both have wheels.

We have *nothing* like the Romans did. We have had a grand total of 1 civil war.....which was territorial. While Roman civil wars were almost exclusively for the role of emperor. And they had dozens....which left their army in tatters, so devoid of troops and training that they had to conscript and ally themselves with the very invadering armies that eventually sacked their lands. With a centuries long regression in expertise, leadership, technology and tactics.

Our military has never been stronger. With the most technologically advanced military on the planet, well equipped and experienced troops who are almost exclusively American.

You simply don't know what you're talking about.

The 'simiilarities' are imaginary clap trap on par with assuming that a tricycle and a fighter jet are the same thing because they both have wheels.

We have *nothing* like the Romans did. We have had a grand total of 1 civil war.....which was territorial. While Roman civil wars were almost exclusively for the role of emperor. And they had dozens....which left their army in tatters, so devoid of troops and training that they had to conscript and ally themselves with the very invadering armies that eventually sacked their lands. With a centuries long regression in expertise, leadership, technology and tactics.

Our military has never been stronger. With the most technologically advanced military on the planet, well equipped and experienced troops who are almost exclusively American.

If it has never been stronger, why havent we won a war since 1945?

Oh yes it is.

Most of the world's nations are client states of the USA. All of Europe is controlled by the US. Central and South America with a few exceptions are client states.

Client states send tribute. We have the exact opposite scenario......with almost all foreign aid going OUT of our nation. Not into it.
No. The tribute is provided to our leading corporations and oligarchy (1%) who in turn provide lots of money to the stinking lying politicians.

The 'corporations' aren't client states. You're literally abandoning the very premise of your argument.

Demonstrating more elegantly than anything I can post the absurdity of your own comparisons.

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

It’s ignorant, ridiculous demagoguery, completely devoid of merit.

Unless you're arguing we wouldn't be able to stand up to the Japanese or Germans of 1945 with the state of the art equipment, men, GPS, high altutude bombers and special forces we have now.......then your argument is already dead.

Libs will find some random point to criticize and won't discuss this. They usually dismiss such theories because they claim things like that don't happen in this day and age.

Some 'random' point? We're talking about the core reasons for the collapse of the Roman Empire. And how we have nothing even remotely similar to those causes.

We don't see either.

Correct.

Comparing the Roman Empire to the United States is sophomoric idiocy.

Unless you're arguing we wouldn't be able to stand up to the Japanese or Germans of 1945 with the state of the art equipment, men, GPS, high altutude bombers and special forces we have now.......then your argument is already dead.

I'm not denying that we couldnt nuke the world but why havent we won a war since 1945? Surely, you can see the underlying issues of why we havent?

I'm not denying that we couldnt nuke the world but why havent we won a war since 1945? Surely, you can see the underlying issues of why we havent?
'Nuke the world'? An F-16 can take out a Japanese Zero with an air to air missile before the Zero was aware the F-16 *existed*. With its advanced tracking systems, it could destroy 8 Zeros in the exact same manner......at the same time. As could any frigate.

Our GPS systems let us put guided missiles through the DOOR of our choosing. Let alone a building or a city. We can fight at night as well as we can in the day. The largest Tiger tank can unload its heaviest gun at one of our tanks from a 100 yards away and it won't get through the armor composites or reactive armor. From Howitzers to attack frigates to nuclear powered subs to laser guided bombs to daisy cutters, we would devastate WW2 Germany and Japan in a matter of weeks. With casualties that you could count in the hundreds on one hand.

And millions of the opponents dead. All without dropping a single nuke.

And you insist that our military is WEAKER than it was during WW2? Are you fucking crazy?

Oh yes it is.

Most of the world's nations are client states of the USA. All of Europe is controlled by the US. Central and South America with a few exceptions are client states. Much of Asia and the ME are client states. Russia and China are not, so the empire is looking to take them out.

Any nation that does not do what our worthless government and CIA tell them, can expect a shit storm.

The misapplication of terms for dramatic effect is not persuasive, little Andy Anarchist.

No, not being able to learn from history and the comparisons for today is idiocy.

Of course, statists like you wish to believe that their new form of government is somehow new and different from all before it. Their ideology will somehow evade the pitfalls of previous empires.

Pure arrogant Progressive stupidity.

We don't see either.

Correct.

Comparing the Roman Empire to the United States is sophomoric idiocy.

No, not being able to learn from history and the comparisons for today is idiocy.

Of course, statists like you wish to believe that their new form of government is somehow new and different from all before it. Their ideology will somehow evade the pitfalls of previous empires.

Pure arrogant Progressive stupidity.

Forum List

Back