Deep Space Gama Nutrino Burst.?! How will it affect the Earth, when and if it happens.?!?!??

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I hear that if a deep space Gama Nutrino Burst occurs, it could cause all kinds of problems hear on Earth. ?!! Like kill off a lot of plants, and cause problems with peoples vision.?!! Your thoughts.?!

Neutrinos are generally harmless. If you hold your thumb up to the sun, approx. 60 billion neutrinos will pass through it.
I said "Deep Space Gama Neutrino Burst", not just "Neutrino" . I saw a NOVA ,science show once that said that a "Deep space Neutrino burst" that makes contact with the Earth can cause all kinds of problems with organic life here on the Earth.???!!?

I hear that if a deep space Gama Nutrino Burst occurs, it could cause all kinds of problems hear on Earth. ?!! Like kill off a lot of plants, and cause problems with peoples vision.?!! Your thoughts.?!
Neutrinos cause none of that. Are you confusing them with neutrons?

• Gamma-Ray Bursts (GRBs):
    • Nature and Source: GRBs are extremely energetic explosions that occur in distant galaxies, believed to be associated with supernovae or the merging of neutron stars. They release a tremendous amount of gamma radiation in a short period.
    • Effects on Earth: If a GRB were to occur close to Earth (within a few thousand light-years), the gamma radiation could strip away the ozone layer, leading to increased ultraviolet radiation from the sun, which could be harmful to life. It could also cause direct radiation damage to living organisms and potentially lead to mass extinctions.

I said "Deep Space Gama Neutrino Burst", not just "Neutrino" . I saw a NOVA ,science show once that said that a "Deep space Neutrino burst" that makes contact with the Earth can cause all kinds of problems with organic life here on the Earth.???!!?
Got a link? Sounds interesting.

• Gamma-Ray Bursts (GRBs):
    • Nature and Source: GRBs are extremely energetic explosions that occur in distant galaxies, believed to be associated with supernovae or the merging of neutron stars. They release a tremendous amount of gamma radiation in a short period.
    • Effects on Earth: If a GRB were to occur close to Earth (within a few thousand light-years), the gamma radiation could strip away the ozone layer, leading to increased ultraviolet radiation from the sun, which could be harmful to life. It could also cause direct radiation damage to living organisms and potentially lead to mass extinctions.
Are Gamma rays the same as neutrinos?

The link is a "NOVA science show", that was on PBS station ch 13 WNET television. Deep space Gama ray Neutrino burst.
Thanks I looked it up and it says that an excess of Neutrinos can arrive to Earth before harmful Gamma rays. Bursts of Gamma/neutrino are being studied for correlation. Interesting article. Apparently neutrinos are a kind of 'signature' of a Gamma ray burst.

Where did I say they were? I was among the first to point out neutrinos have no effect on the body. Pay attention before posting if you don't want to look foolish
Your video was on Gamma Rays. My bad for not understanding your POV on neutrinos with which I agree.

Spelting is the enemy here ...

Gamma rays are nasty ... kills everything ... luckily we have an atmosphere that absorbs the energy in the top 1% ... the ozone layer ... the next question is what causes GRBs ... and are any local? ... my understanding is these occur at very great distances, and thus very long ago ... so as long as there's enough carbon dioxide in the air we're safe ...

I'm more worried about the Big Rip ... the universe winking out of existence ... that would be a shame ...

Forum List

Back