Dem Rep. Markey Wins US Senate Election In Mass.

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
It was expected but I'm very happy about it. <My comment.

Dem Rep. Markey Wins US Senate Election In Mass. : NPR

BOSTON (AP) &#8212; Longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. Edward Markey defeated Republican political newcomer Gabriel Gomez in a special election on Tuesday for the state's U.S. Senate seat long held by John Kerry, a race that failed to draw the attention that the state's 2010 special Senate election did.

Markey, 66, won the early backing of Kerry and much of the state's Democratic political establishment, which was set on avoiding a repeat of the stunning loss it suffered three years ago, when Republican state Sen. Scott Brown upset Democratic state Attorney General Martha Coakley in the election to replace the late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Gomez, a 47-year-old businessman and former Navy SEAL, positioned himself as a moderate and Washington outsider who would challenge partisan gridlock, contrasting himself with Markey, who was first elected to the U.S. House in 1976.
<more>

Last edited:
not a surprise. gomez ran as a liberal. why not vote for the real thing?

Gomez never lead in a single poll. Nothing surprising here. Booker will easily win in New Jersey as well.

What a shock. One more cookie-cutter democrat just moves to a new spot in the machine. Chances are 50/50 he ends up in jail before finishing his term.

Dem beats dem-lite in a state where nonliving Dem voters outnumber registered Republicans

Gomez was a truly pathetic candidate. He was worse than Markey, and that's saying something. He ran a terrible campaign, he had no message, and was basically Democrat-lite. I'm glad he lost...Markey won't be in office more than 2 terms, while Gomez would have been bounced in 2014, probably by a YOUNGER moonbat who could stay in office for 30 years.

Are there any moderate republicans you happen to like? B/c I think they're on the way out unfortunately.

Moderate Republicans, especially ones who are willing to work with Democrats to find common ground, are becoming an extinct species.

This is VERY bad for the GOP, but very good for Democrats.

In a decade or so, there will be only two types of politicians in Congress:

Moderate Liberals/Conservatives and extremist Republicans.

Forum List

Back