Democrats: What would the politics be behind a Gorsuch filibuster?

He voted for Big Corporation, every. single. time. against the small man in all his judgements concerning that sort of judgement.

Hate to break it to you, genius, but judges don't "vote" on things. They determine finding in law and make rulings or dissenting arguments. Votes are emotionally driven. Justices aren't supposed to be emotionally driven, they are responsible for determining how the law applies. No law we have is based on emotion.

I know what you were trying to say but your choice of words exposed you. It illustrates how you want justice to be dealt out on basis of emotion. Let's pick who we like and don't like, then make the law say what we want. This is the Left's tactic when it comes to justice.

Oh: BTW...

President Cint.....ere Trump has a GOP house and senate.

You guys lost.

Suck on it.
Tell that to your President. He's acting like a real loser, and not someone that won and is now the President of the strongest nation on earth, the United States of America.

Can someone explain the partisan calculus behind this?

The GOP is going to Reid-Rule him in, and if Trump can pick another justice, they'll do it again.

I'm assuming, then, this is just for perceived political advantage for use during individual 2018 races?

Knowing they are too stupid to do anything other than trying to mimic what has been successful for the right, I think they are attempting to set up the same "sense of urgency" among their base to get out the vote. We can't give Trump and Republicans another pick or we lose Roe v. Wade, Gay Marriage, Tranny Bathroom Rights... whatever.

Look.. this idea that the nuclear option wasn't going to get deployed is sort of lame establishment-speak to me. All these people on the right like John McCain want to "cut a deal" to get Gorsuch nominated without the nuke being deployed. It's just stupid because nothing prevents them from deploying it next time. So it's not something Democrats can bargain for or have any business bargaining for, to be honest. Maybe Schmucky Schumer realizes that and he's just setting up the "crisis" for the midterms?
That may be. The only thing that matters right now is political advantage. Party over country.

There is no longer a need for the filibuster IMO.
My concern - not that it matters at this point - is the tyranny of the majority, the thought that a party with enough power can cram through the crazies.

The one (1) thing that would mitigate that would be split power, neither party holding the White House, House and Senate. And of course, that's usually the case.

So, if the minority party controls one of the three, it has to vote as a bloc, and that just exacerbates the partisanship.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Gorsuch is very pro business. On everything else he pretty much mirrors Kennedy. So there will be no overturning of R v W, and he will be more centrist on LGBT, imo, than the far right is hoping.

You guys lost.

Suck on it.
Tell that to your President. He's acting like a real loser, and not someone that won and is now the President of the strongest nation on earth, the United States of America.

Keep crying......it's so fun to watch.
Yes, I'll keep addressing your assinine rants. I won't shut up.

Keep 'em coming.

Gorsuch is very pro business. On everything else he pretty much mirrors Kennedy. So there will be no overturning of R v W, and he will be more centrist on LGBT, imo, than the far right is hoping.
Maybe, maybe not. However, I agree with the Democrats simply on the principle of the thing.

They kicked Obama in the teeth playing political games. Well the other shoe is now dropping.

No retreat. No surrender.

You guys lost.

Suck on it.

Keep crying......it's so fun to watch.
Yes, I'll keep addressing your assinine rants. I won't shut up.

Keep 'em coming.

Informing you that you:

1. Don't have the WH
2. Are the minority in the house.
3. Are the minority in the senate.
4. Won't be appointing SCOTUS justices for a while

is a rant ?

Who knew ?

Maybe, maybe not. However, I agree with the Democrats simply on the principle of the thing.

They kicked Obama in the teeth playing political games. Well the other shoe is now dropping.

How's it feel watching the game from the bleachers instead of playing in it ?

The GOP is going to Reid-Rule him in, and if Trump can pick another justice, they'll do it again.

I'm assuming, then, this is just for perceived political advantage for use during individual 2018 races?

Republicans didn't want Obama nominee and acted on it, refusing to even give him a hearing. The cat is out of the bag and chivalry is out the window. Democrats have no choice but to take this road to the only place it could have led.

Lets say Democrats play nice here, what do they gain? Nothing.
Yep, the filibuster began when the Republicans filibustered the then President's perfectly good nomination.

They didn't filibuster Garland.
Actually, they did.

Actually, they did.

Bet you can't prove that.

How's it feel watching the game from the bleachers instead of playing in it ?
Yup, Trump's is overpowerful.

Except for no replace no repeal.

Or no wall.

Or no effective immigration EOs.

Or no standard of integrity.

Or no a lot of other things.

The more vocal elements of the Democrat Party "base" are demanding that their congress critters do everything they can to block anything coming out of the halls of Trumpdom otherwise they're likely to drag their Senators-D out in front of the Capital Building and tar & feather 'em.

Of course things are really going to get "interesting" if/when Trump gets to make a 2nd SCOTUS pick; apparently nobody on the "D" side of the Aisle has recognized that the Scorched Earth Policy they're pursuing is setting the ground beneath their own feet on fire. :cool:

Republicans didn't want Obama nominee and acted on it, refusing to even give him a hearing. The cat is out of the bag and chivalry is out the window. Democrats have no choice but to take this road to the only place it could have led.

Lets say Democrats play nice here, what do they gain? Nothing.
Yep, the filibuster began when the Republicans filibustered the then President's perfectly good nomination.

They didn't filibuster Garland.
Actually, they did.

Actually, they did.

Bet you can't prove that.

He doesn't need to prove it, as it's well beside the point - not even giving a hearing is much worse then simply filibustering.

Harry Reid was such a useless sack of shit.

How many bill did he personally block from being voted on?

Ok for Harry Reid to change senate rules for a SCOTUS confirmation...so it's ok for McConnell.

Both sides abuse the confirmation process.

Funny how Gorsuch was a unanimous confirmation to the Federal bench, but somehow he is unfit to serve as SCOTUS Justice because he is a Constitutionalist and won't change the Constitution to fit his political ideology.

You know...what a judge is supposed to do.

Forum List

Back