Denmark is opening its first female-led mosque

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I hope the men don't give her the business and that she is successful on her endeavor.

88525636_Women_watch_as_US_President_Barack_Obama_speaks_at_the_Islamic_Society_of_Baltimore_in-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

The Mariam Mosque will have services run by and for women on Fridays CREDIT: AFP
Sponsored by Ticketbis

Hanging out with Harry Styles

YouTube prankster Ben Phillips found himself watching the Rugby World Cup with Dan Stevens and Harry Styles
12 FEBRUARY 2016 • 1:08PM
Mosques are “male-dominated and patriarchal places, where a man is at the speaking platform, a man leads prayer, a man is in focus and dominant”, says Sherin Khankan, an academic and one of four female imams in Denmark. It is for this reason that she has set up Copenhagen’s first female-led mosque, a “feminist project” designed to facilitate worship “on women’s terms.”

Having come up with the idea more than a year ago, Khankan – who has a Muslim Syrian father and a Christian Finnish mother – is determined to broaden Islam’s appeal to her fellow countrywomen. “I have never felt at home in the existing mosques. The new grand mosques are unbelievably beautiful, but I have the feeling of being a stranger when I am there,” she told Danish newspaper Politiken.

“The majority of Danish imams do not want female colleagues,” Khankan said in another interview with Dagsbladet Information. “In my youth, I experienced women being distanced in the Muslim communities in Denmark. And I feel strongly that I am not alone.”

Continue reading at:

Forum List

Back