Zone1 Depraved or Deprived?

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
John Calvin taught that mankind’s nature is so depraved by Original Sin that he can be moved or impelled only to evil. Others have offered that Total Depravity does not mean mankind is totally evil, but only lacks holiness.

Others say Original Sin did not leave mankind depraved, but deprived.

Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures. (Thomas Aquinas)

One of the things Original Sin deprived mankind of is trust in God.

What say you: Depraved or Deprived?

John Calvin taught that mankind’s nature is so depraved by Original Sin that he can be moved or impelled only to evil. Others have offered that Total Depravity does not mean mankind is totally evil, but only lacks holiness.

Others say Original Sin did not leave mankind depraved, but deprived.

Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures. (Thomas Aquinas)

One of the things Original Sin deprived mankind of is trust in God.

What say you: Depraved or Deprived?
To me, your question causes me to think of being 'deprived', in that mankind is deprived of much pleasure of doing evil.

Many of man's pleasures are evil. Bullfighting for example. 'Shooting guns'. ' killing animals for pleasure. Playing kill video games. And many other pleasures depending on your POV. Recreational sex for some Christians. Masturbation. Other forms of self-gratification.

Many pleasures aren't evil of course, but that's not the question right now.

Much of those might be considered to be depravities, depending on personal POV's.

To me, your question causes me to think of being 'deprived', in that mankind is deprived of much pleasure of doing evil.

Many of man's pleasures are evil. Bullfighting for example. 'Shooting guns'. ' killing animals for pleasure. Playing kill video games. And many other pleasures depending on your POV. Recreational sex for some Christians. Masturbation. Other forms of self-gratification.

Many pleasures aren't evil of course, but that's not the question right now.

Much of those might be considered to be depravities, depending on personal POV's.
If Original Sin did not deprive us of spiritual joy, would people be looking for the pleasures you named above?

Deprived? Or Depraved? Or both?

When I was a teenager, one summer day I was sitting on the front porch at the home of another hot teenager. She started crunching an ice cube in her teeth.

And then she said "that means I'm sexually deprived". In disbelief I asked how an extremely hot young teenaged lady in her sexual prime like her could possibly be sexually deprived.

"Depraved! Not deprived" she clarified.

Forum List

Back