DHS invades small town, violating 3rd Amendment. ACLU takes notice...!

The SWAT team assembled on publicly held property.
@rightwinger
Publicly held by the locals, not the federal government.

The Post Office would have been more appropriate, since it is federally owned.

You have just endorsed the federal Government seizing publicly owned buildings by locals. If there's a housing complex/project run and owned by a local government, can the feds quarter their troops in that project?

Who cares what level of government?

Local officials can work it out with the Feds. In a public emergency, Feds have the authority.

What was the emergency? They were serving an arrest warrant, not putting out a fire.

The ideas that police "commandeering" staging grounds are 1.) a third amendment violation and 2.) a "new" thing are equally ridiculous.

It's been going on forever, and it doesn't involve people being forced to feed and house soldiers.

I remember when I was in elementary school, there was a bank robbery across the street that turned into a hostage situation. The SWAT teams used the school yard as a staging ground (they sent us all home) and put snipers on the roofs of many private houses in the neighborhood. Not a "new" thing under Obama.

Griswold v. Connecticut makes no mention of "federal agents" or "soldiers". It involved privacy rights and contraception, not the Third Amendment.

You knew I meant to write Engblom vs Carey, but instead of repairing the error, you pretended I was wrong entirely.

That case established the precedent that any government agent bearing military grade arms is considered a Solider. They also applied this to state and local agents via the 14th Amendment.

Griswold v. Connecticut makes no mention of "federal agents" or "soldiers". It involved privacy rights and contraception, not the Third Amendment.

You knew I meant to write Engblom vs Carey, but instead of repairing the error, you pretended I was wrong entirely.

That case established the precedent that any government agent bearing military grade arms is considered a Solider. They also applied this to state and local agents via the 14th Amendment.

If it helps you feel persecuted, feel free to assign whatever motives you like to me.

I'd actually never heard of Engblom vs Carey before.

But that decision still doesn't back up your claims that police using a school as a staging area is a violation of the Third.

But that decision still doesn't back up your claims that police using a school as a staging area is a violation of the Third.

What is the intent behind the 3rd Amendment? Why did the 13 Colonies consider this to be so important, that they codified it into the Bill of Rights?

The "intent" of the Third was a direct response to a policy of the King of England - that people in the colonies would be forced to feed and house British soldiers at whatever whims of the British governors.

It has nothing to do with police staging areas.

What is the intent behind the 3rd Amendment? Why did the 13 Colonies consider this to be so important, that they codified it into the Bill of Rights?

The "intent" of the Third was a direct response to a policy of the King of England - that people in the colonies would be forced to feed and house British soldiers at whatever whims of the British governors.

And why was King George forcing the colonies to feed and house British Soldiers...? Did you forget the events that led to the Boston Massacre?

And why was King George forcing the colonies to feed and house British Soldiers...? Did you forget the events that led to the Boston Massacre?

Because he didn't want to pay for them himself after the French and Indian War.

The Boston Massacre doesn't really have anything to do with it.

The hysteria is hysterical. OMG...the police are training...the Constitution is gone.

But if they don't train, OMG...why couldn't the police handle this situation! The world is coming to an end!

The Boston Massacre doesn't really have anything to do with it.[/QUOTE]

So you're claiming it had nothing to do with rebellious colonists who were opposed to the Townshend Acts or the Intolerable Acts (or all those other tyrannical acts)?

I didn't know that Redcoat Loyalists still existed 200+ years after the Revolution!

It appears that we caught a Redcoat, who is defending King George! Time for a USMB Roll Call! Do your duty and screenshot this Loyalist!

[MENTION=19543]Geaux4it[/MENTION] [MENTION=40803]House[/MENTION] [MENTION=27958]LadyGunSlinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=22590]AquaAthena[/MENTION] [MENTION=27995]Uncensored2008[/MENTION] [MENTION=17441]Newby[/MENTION] [MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION] [MENTION=31640]koshergrl[/MENTION] [MENTION=46151]HelenaHandbag[/MENTION] [MENTION=11944]Mad Scientist[/MENTION] [MENTION=5035]GHook93[/MENTION] [MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION] [MENTION=20102]mudwhistle[/MENTION] [MENTION=43198]Pete7469[/MENTION] [MENTION=43198]Pete7469[/MENTION] [MENTION=34478]Clementine[/MENTION] [MENTION=41356]S.J.[/MENTION] [MENTION=46110]pvsi[/MENTION] [MENTION=39750]Intolerant[/MENTION] [MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION] [MENTION=25451]tinydancer[/MENTION] [MENTION=25451]tinydancer[/MENTION] [MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION] [MENTION=24036]R.C. Christian[/MENTION] [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION] [MENTION=42380]OriginalShroom[/MENTION] [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION] [MENTION=35716]SAYIT[/MENTION] [MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION] [MENTION=47870]Vigilante[/MENTION] [MENTION=13580]CaféAuLait[/MENTION] [MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION] [MENTION=31153]HenryBHough[/MENTION] [MENTION=42969]jon_berzerk[/MENTION] [MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION] [MENTION=11635]Kat[/MENTION]zndog [MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION] [MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION] [MENTION=47812]CorvusRexus[/MENTION]ENTION=19543]Geaux4it[/MENTION] [MENTION=40803]House[/MENTION] [MENTION=27958]LadyGunSlinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=22590]AquaAthena[/MENTION] [MENTION=27995]Uncensored2008[/MENTION] [MENTION=17441]Newby[/MENTION] [MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION] [MENTION=31640]koshergrl[/MENTION] [MENTION=46151]HelenaHandbag[/MENTION] [MENTION=11944]Mad Scientist[/MENTION] [MENTION=5035]GHook93[/MENTION] [MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION] [MENTION=20102]mudwhistle[/MENTION] [MENTION=43198]Pete7469[/MENTION] [MENTION=43198]Pete7469[/MENTION] [MENTION=34478]Clementine[/MENTION] [MENTION=41356]S.J.[/MENTION] [MENTION=46110]pvsi[/MENTION] [MENTION=39750]Intolerant[/MENTION] [MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION] [MENTION=25451]tinydancer[/MENTION] [MENTION=25451]tinydancer[/MENTION] [MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION] [MENTION=24036]R.C. Christian[/MENTION] [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION] [MENTION=42380]OriginalShroom[/MENTION] [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION] [MENTION=35716]SAYIT[/MENTION] [MENTION=20545]Mr. H.[/MENTION] [MENTION=47870]Vigilante[/MENTION] [MENTION=13580]CaféAuLait[/MENTION] [MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION] [MENTION=31153]HenryBHough[/MENTION] [MENTION=42969]jon_berzerk[/MENTION] [MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION] [MENTION=11635]Kat[/MENTION]zndog [MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION] [MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION] [MENTION=47812]CorvusRexus[/MENTION]

The Boston Massacre doesn't really have anything to do with it.

So you're claiming it had nothing to do with rebellious colonists who were opposed to the Townshend Acts or the Intolerable Acts (or all those other tyrannical acts)?

I didn't know that Redcoat Loyalists still existed 200+ years after the Revolution!

It appears that we caught a Redcoat, who is defending King George! Time for a USMB Roll Call! Do your duty and screenshot this Loyalist!

You really get a kick out of putting words in other people's mouths, don't you?

It's a pretty pathetic debate tactic, it makes you look like a child.

I'm not sure if it's a 3rd amendment violation, but I am very concerned by the militarization of police forces. The ACLU sums it up ....

ACLU said:
The public has a right to know how law enforcement
agencies are policing its communities and spending its
tax dollars. The militarization of American policing has
occurred with almost no oversight, and it is time to shine
a bright light on the policies, practices, and weaponry that
have turned too many of our neighborhoods into war
zones.

The ACLU report (linked in OP) is scary.....Using flashbang devices on homes with children in them....looking for drugs? We need less policing and more freedom.

Last edited:
read your third amendment

no soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

can be done, but it must follow the law

only during war.

During peace, it cannot happen period, unless the Owner gives their consent.

Police are allowed to commandeer private property in a time of emergency

Not in my frick'n house, they ain't. :badgrin:

Last edited:
Jim Porter, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Illinois, would not comment as to the scale of force used in executing the search warrant, other than to say authorities want to be prepared for what they "reasonably expect might happen."

"It's better to be over-prepared," he said.

Yeah. I mean, the guy could have been...a MUSLIM! Then there aren't enough guns and ammo in the world to take him down!

Forum List

Back