Did I just experience an Earthquake?

Yeah, I lived in California for 30 years. I remember the big one in the Bay Area.

It's easy to be blase about it while there is no crisis, and I make fun of the little ones, but I do remember a smallish 6.1 that set apartment buildings off their foundations and took lives. So, crude of me to make light of it.

But I grew up in CA and I still, to this day, have the mentality. I suppose it would be different if I had lived through a huge one like th last one in Turkey. My wife actually broke down and cried at some of the footage of rescue workers bringing little children out of the rubble.

I do take it serious.
Rescuers from SoCal went to Christ Church, NZ to helo in 2000s quakes.

Came back home with data and info saying all retrofits based on Northridge Quake needed upgrading. I saw plans where if a huge hits where I live -- no one is coming for a while. Streets will be so cluttered Emergency Service will not get through.

Interesting. We now know it's not angry Gods that are gonna punish us for not backing Trump.

I stayed at the Route 66 Motel in Kingman. LOL
I have only driven through Kingman. I don't think I would like to live there. I bought the parcel to tease a co-worker from California at the time. Was so cheap I paid cash on the spot, around 1,200.00 $ for ten acres including associated fees.
Good job surviving the earthquake though.

I have only driven through Kingman. I don't think I would like to live there. I bought the parcel to tease a co-worker from California at the time. Was so cheap I paid cash on the spot, around 1,200.00 $ for ten acres including associated fees.
Good job surviving the earthquake though.
I almost bought a place over near teh Salton Sea. Right next to the land that is melting. LOL Should've. It was a good bet to get it.

Rescuers from SoCal went to Christ Church, NZ to helo in 2000s quakes.

Came back home with data and info saying all retrofits based on Northridge Quake needed upgrading. I saw plans where if a huge hits where I live -- no one is coming for a while. Streets will be so cluttered Emergency Service will not get through.

Interesting. We now know it's not angry Gods that are gonna punish us for not backing Trump.
Well, we don't know its not angry Gods punishing us. But we do know how to combat it.

I remember watching the Tsunamis of Japan in the last big one and the frightening power of those Gods... So...

Well, we don't know its not angry Gods punishing us. But we do know how to combat it.

I remember watching the Tsunamis of Japan in the last big one and the frightening power of those Gods... So...

I have a good friend who married a woman from Japan. You can see what looks to be her brother in a delivery truck panicking and driving by others because if he stopped he;'d have been fish bait.

That was some seriously old world scary shit. Like living during Pompeii's destruction

5.1 ain't worth getting out of bed for.
Blowhards like you I've met.

My first quake experience I was unaware of what was happening until it was over. I went out into the common area of my building. Saw neighbors. Later the ones raised out ere said they were like you -- and I asked "Them why the eff were you all outside before I was many in bed clothes or barely dressed?"

LOL

depends on structure and spot one is in. Not everybody experiences a quake exactly the same. Take rolling quakes .. take down a street full of homes, next block minimum damage.

Yeah, I lived in California for 30 years. I remember the big one in the Bay Area.

It's easy to be blase about it while there is no crisis, and I make fun of the little ones, but I do remember a smallish 6.1 that set apartment buildings off their foundations and took lives. So, crude of me to make light of it.

But I grew up in CA and I still, to this day, have the mentality. I suppose it would be different if I had lived through a huge one like th last one in Turkey. My wife actually broke down and cried at some of the footage of rescue workers bringing little children out of the rubble.

I do take it serious.
I've seen my share of CA quakes, 1971 Wittier, Coalinga, Loma Prieta, and a 5.1 in Downey in the late 70s. The Wittier and the Loma Prieta were the only ones that were really bad. The others not so much. I figure if its below 6, it is hardly worth a mention.

I've seen my share of CA quakes, 1971 Wittier, Coalinga, Loma Prieta, and a 5.1 in Downey in the late 70s. The Wittier and the Loma Prieta were the only ones that were really bad. The others not so much. I figure if its below 6, it is hardly worth a mention.
Except if you were in a building where people were hurt you'd be...

Never mind. Just Another SoCal blowhard. Put you or a loved one in the lists of people hurt or killed and you'd not be spouting off like such a blowhardo.

I do not panic. But I am wary and do not loom at quakes so lightly? Why? EXPERTS in the fields that respond say Do Not. One never knows what will follow some initially disturbance.

I bet you were raised believing getting into a doorway is a good thing during a quake. LOL

I have friend and relatives who grew up in SoCal. They learned bad shit in schools back when.

What not to do​

• Avoid running to other rooms while the ground is still shaking.
  • Do not seek shelter in doorways. They offer no protection against falling or flying objects.
  • After a quake, do not use matches or lighters near stoves or barbecues until you are sure there are no gas leaks. If the gas is turned off, do not turn it back on by yourself; let the gas company do it.
  • Do not call 911 unless you are experiencing a true emergency.

I do not panic. But I am wary and do not loom at quakes so lightly?
No sense in panicking. When it is happening, you don't know the magnitude. I was in a 5th story motel room near Downey when that one happened and I woke and felt like a bit of vertigo, saw the swag lamp swinging and went back to sleep. As for blow hard and SoCal. I visited SoCal--you can have it all. Blowhard? I think that must be you.

We've had very small earthquakes in the midwest in the past few years but we are due for something stronger.

nmszseis.jpg

Except if you were in a building where people were hurt you'd be...
Do you have any idea how much the bay area was devastated by the Loma Prieta quake? Probably not. A section of the upper deck of the bay bridge collapsed. Elevated freeways in Oakland and SF collapsed with people in cars crushed--that is the reason there are no double decker freeways in the bay anymore with the exception of part of the bay bridge. Your turn blowhard.

No sense in panicking. When it is happening, you don't know the magnitude. I was in a 5th story motel room in near Downey when that one happened and I woke and felt like a bit of vertigo, saw the swag lamp swinging and went back to sleep. As for blow hard and SoCal. I visited SoCal--you can have it all. Blowhard? I think that must be you.

I don't panic. But I am acutely aware of how people who let their guard down can pay a hefty price for ignorance and ego. I have been tossed in my bed. Unnerved me in that I was unsure of whether to get up and out of bed. Unsure.

I did have one of my phones set to Quake alerts. Damn thing went off, woke up, seriously confused -- the experience was odd. You felt a bit of vertigo and thought ;; eh, no big deal back to sleep? LOL

Real vertigo I've had. Thought I was having a stroke. Could not stand, walk, hit walls looking for phone to get help. You sir are a real blowhard.

I missed the Mid-Atlantic quake that cracked the Washington monument a couple of years ago. My wife felt it indoors but I was mowing grass on a riding mower and never felt a thing. It would have been cool.

We've had very small earthquakes in the midwest in the past few years but we are due for something stronger.

View attachment 986533

FRACKING!

We had a good one back in Boston back in the early 1980s? On the waterfront my building was on concrete stilts right next to the piers. Had great nightmares after that one. Ships ranching into building etc. LOL

Odd thing, those dreams became recurring

Forum List

Back