Disgusting New Feature of Asset Forfeiture

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Now --- during a traffic stop, you not only have to worry about CASH on your person being seized --- but they got technology to check Pre-Paid cards on your person and seize that cash. Cop doesn't like your story that you got 10 of them for Xmas --- Swipe -- it's gone. And the worst part of this is ---- company that sold them this idea gives them the stuff cheap but takes 7.7% of the haul..

Asset Forfeiture still is not fixed. Not a lot of champions for that Civil Liberties issue --- we should support them.

OHP Uses New Device To Seize Money During Traffic Stops

I've stopped carrying my bank/debit card unless I know I'm going to use it.

They can't do anything with a credit card. Yet.

Damn, now I suppose I have to leave my Unemployment Debut card at home. I will hide cash under the carpet!

From the link in the OP

Here's how it works. If a trooper suspects a person may have money tied to some type of crime, the highway patrol can scan and seize money from prepaid cards. OHP stresses troopers do not do this during all traffic stops, only situations where they believe there is probable cause.

"We're gonna look for different factors in the way that you're acting,” Oklahoma Highway Patrol Lt. John Vincent said. “We're gonna look for if there's a difference in your story. If there's someway that we can prove that you're falsifying information to us about your business."

How about we make them STATE what crime they suspect has been committed? Large amounts of cash or cash stored in peculiar ways COULD be indicative of ANY crime --- OR ---- none at all. This is too broad a net for a random stop..

Well he wasn't a drug dealer --- but he had gift cards.. Could be identity theft? NO WAY they can tie a cash card to "identity theft". The spokesperson was making up stories that I DON'T BELIEVE.. Seize him.. .

Comments at the bottom of the page.....

Ray Peña ·
Arizona State University West
THE POLICE ARE IN THE SHAKEDOWN BUSINESS. THERE IS NOTHING TO DISCERNE BETWEEN ACTUAL CRIMINALS AND LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. IT'S GOVERNMENT SEIZURE WITHOUT DUE PROCESS ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT.
Like · Reply · 4 mins

Kanhchana Myer
·
Assistant Administration & HR at CIA FIRST International School
Why?
"If you can prove can prove that you have a legitimate reason to have that money it will be given back to you. And we've done that in the past," Vincent said about any money seized.

Why do I have to PROVE it's MY MONEY?

This is a totalitarian state tactic!

In America I AM INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty!

Thus, I retain my rights to my property until the State PROVES me guilty!

This should have been fixed a couple decades ago now. But it's not high on the priority list for OBVIOUS reasons.
Token advertisement --- Vote Libertarian ---- It WILL get fixed. At the local,, state, and federal levels.

I hope this doesn't effect white people. :eek:
If it doesn't now, it will soon.

The thing to keep in mind when contemplating wrongful treatment of others by police is what they are doing to them today they will be doing to you tomorrow. It's a simple matter of them developing bad habits. Once the habit is formed it becomes routine.

Last edited:
Now --- during a traffic stop, you not only have to worry about CASH on your person being seized --- but they got technology to check Pre-Paid cards on your person and seize that cash. Cop doesn't like your story that you got 10 of them for Xmas --- Swipe -- it's gone. And the worst part of this is ---- company that sold them this idea gives them the stuff cheap but takes 7.7% of the haul..

Asset Forfeiture still is not fixed. Not a lot of champions for that Civil Liberties issue --- we should support them.

This don't make no sense, so I am carrying my three debit cards that my work direct deposit goes into and they have immediate info on my savings and checking?

There used to be traffic stops, now there are armed robbery stops.

Carry only credit, guys. No major amounts of cash. Too many cops are crooks like bucs90 was when on the force.

This don't make no sense, so I am carrying my three debit cards that my work direct deposit goes into and they have immediate info on my savings and checking?

I think this just applies to "cash cards". The prepaid credit type that don't require a PIN. So for the time being -- your debit cards are not subject to seizure. But be careful --- if your life is on your PHONE --- that's not safe to keep banking deposits and receipt on in this environment.

We need to FIX asset forfeiture completely.. One of the overlooked Civil Liberty intrusions somewhere farther down the list from turning the world's most competent spy operation on you..

Forum List

Back