Do You Really Want This Alternative to Trump as President?

DeSantis’s slot as the No 2 in a Republican field of implausible bit players settles his fate as the chief non-challenger. He is inevitable, so long as his utility lasts, as the guarantor of Trump’s nomination. He is the non-viable alternative, a void who occupies unmovable political space. His function is to stymie every other non-contender, none of whom can dislodge Trump themselves. DeSantis blots out the rest. If Trump is the sun, he’s the lunar eclipse.

Weak, small and reckless: how Ron DeSantis, Republican Napoleon, met his Waterloo

That last line's a killer.

this does not bode well for the Republican Party...

Clearly Inchoate Rage plays far better with its constituency than Focused Hate.

I'm wondering what might happen if the Party began to refocus on policy...
The narrowness of his appeal to a few bigoted pensioners has been exposed.

It was laughable the way he walked away from his "slacery was great" course..Out of his depth.

You just compared DeSantis to Mussolini idiot.

He was just a dumber version of Hitler.

You are no different than your cult of DNC.

Again, do your f#cking job and put your own thread in the badlands, or resign as a puppet moderator for Joe Biden

Thanks for playing.
I did. Mussolini was Hitler's willing stooge ally. But Hitler also murdered over 6 Million Jews, a few million more gypsies, gays, and other different peoples which is why I don't throw that term around. It's offensive.

Ron is starting to play himself as an authoritarian, trying to siphon off Trump's base. And it's not working. And it's costing his state money.

I initially thought DeSantis would be a good alternative to Trump, but he's gone overboard with the culture wars and some of the actions of his administration are borderline authoritarian. I don't think I could support him now. He's another victim of his huge margin of victory on Election Day deluding him into thinking people wanted an extreme agenda pushed through their state.
He is pursuing the well established GOP playbook since 1980.

Secure the reliable 25 - 40% that represents the Lunatic Fringe with promises of Retribution and Rapture, and cruise to the nomination.

Actually, most states have recently had full coffers from Covid money extended to them, but that is running out and in the future Florida and other states may have more difficulties. Much of Florida of course is still a good place to live for retirees like me, but inflation here was worse than most other states, rent and housing costs extremely high, insurance absolutely insane, with most counties unable even to fill openings for their (very low-paid) teachers and nurses. Of course there are plenty of hardworking but undocumented workers in hospitality, senior care, service, agricultural and construction industries — and DeSantis wants to deport all of them no matter how long they have lived here or how deep their roots here.

So it is certainly possible, for reasons in addition to what the OP brings up, DeSantis could eventually become unpopular enough even in Florida to be voted out. But the DeSantis faction and Republican politicians in general are ruthless and now I fear have a pretty tight stranglehold here.

Also the Dems here are disorganized, demoralized and have no charismatic champions that I have heard of. The youth vote and woman’s organizations here are also not especially strong — too many damn old people like me! — so even DeSantis’ draconian 8-week anti-abortion law has gotten through the state legislature quietly and with relatively little protest.

As for national politics, not being a Republican it is not up to me to say who would be best to replace the dangerous demagogue and mad megalomaniac Trump as “standard bearer.”

I would hope that ANY two or more declared national opponents of Trump’s “Big Lie” start working as a team and manage to replace him, but I doubt enough present Republicans will get their act together and rally for “common sense,” nor do I expect Trump to step back gracefully, even if he ends up going to jail convicted here in Florida or elsewhere of proven crimes.

But if an attractive agreed upon double slate (for Pres. & V.P) emerge even only as a respected alternative to Trump inside that party, if not in 2024 then in 2028 the Repubs would have a chance to advance sane conservative candidates capable of winning, and the process of purging their lunatic wing could begin, maybe even without losing 100% of their new deluded Trump MAGA voters. That would be great for the country!

By the way I used to fear Pence, his being so supportive of banning abortion nationally. But if he is now really moving toward a stronger anti-Trump anti- “Big Lie” line, I wouldn’t be upset if he were on their ticket in 2024, since I don’t think such a law could pass at this stage nationally … and he might help the Republican Fundamentalist Wing of the party to at least recover from its “Trump was Sent by God to Save Us from the Demonrats” syndrome.

You are biased. Stats show huge population losses from blue states going to red states, taking their money along with them. Why are you a fact denier?
Who the f*ck denies that big money for decades has flowed into Florida from out-of-state retirees and part-time winter residents too! Not me for sure!

At least a century of internal U.S. and foreign immigration has been crucial to Florida’s development. Until air-conditioning and other advances, social ones too, few thought backwards Florida was worth moving to — even long before any supposedly “new” problems in Northern cities. But of course increasing population density brings lots of new problems too.

My comment above was already plenty long. It was only meant to give my personal opinion and provide info about Florida politics that outsiders might not know about.

Last edited:
Who the f*ck denies that big money for decades has flowed into Florida from out-of-state retirees and part-time winter residents! Not me for sure! At least a century of internal U.S. and foreign immigration has been crucial for Florida’s development. Until air-conditioning and other advances, social ones too, few thought backwards Florida was worth moving to — even long before any supposedly “new” problems in Northern cities. But of course increasing population density, city life brings lots of new problems to.

My comment above was already plenty long. It was only meant to give my personal opinion and provide info about Florida politics outsiders might not know about.
People are flocking out of the Northeast Blue corridor for Florida and it's not the people who don't pay taxes. It is the people who do pay taxes. And, it is mostly due to blue policies such as high taxes, high crime, and the other policies which drive up inflation. Now New Yorkers can't even enjoy Central Park because they have turned it into a camp for illegals. Meanwhile, Florida rakes in the dough while those Northern Blue states are having budget shortfalls.

I initially thought DeSantis would be a good alternative to Trump, but he's gone overboard with the culture wars and some of the actions of his administration are borderline authoritarian. I don't think I could support him now. He's another victim of his huge margin of victory on Election Day deluding him into thinking people wanted an extreme agenda pushed through their state.
What is woke, if not an authoritarian political ideology?

People are flocking out of the Northeast Blue corridor for Florida and it's not the people who don't pay taxes. It is the people who do pay taxes. And, it is mostly due to blue policies such as high taxes, high crime, and the other policies which drive up inflation. Now New Yorkers can't even enjoy Central Park because they have turned it into a camp for illegals. Meanwhile, Florida rakes in the dough while those Northern Blue states are having budget shortfalls.
Troll all you like about Northern matters. I was born in NYC and lived as a working-class stiff there — even was a cab driver for a few years — all through worse crime and economic periods there many decades ago.

This OP is about DeSantis and alternative candidates to the Republican’s “Big Liar”-in Chief — Donald Trump. I’ve wasted enough of my precious time on you already.

Last edited:
Speaking strictly from a business policy standpoint. I know Ron DeSantis was hailed as being the Trump alternative in 2024.
So far, Ron has let his inner policy maker out to play and turned off a lot of people with his crusade against what he calls "woke".
Now, it's costing his state money. While I've never seen Trump formulate a policy on his own, I've also never seen him be directly anti-business.

Do Republicans really want to see a governor who is openly hostile to businesses in his own state become President?

Wow, I think you can't get any stupider, or dishonest, and you prove me wrong yet again.

Troll or you like about Northern matters. I was born in NYC and lived as a working-class stiff there — even was a cab driver for a few years — all through worse crime and economic periods there many decades ago.

This OP is about DeSantis and alternative candidates to the Republican’s “Big Liar”-in Chief — Donald Trump. I’ve wasted enough of my my precious time on you already.

Good. Stop wasting OUR time with your infantile opinions.

How about to get MAGA business?

A lot of people think its high time we made America great again. Don't you think its worthwhile to seek that business? A-B's decision to turn away from that business by embracing the idea of men violating each other's buttholes has cost them a lot of bud light sales.
That's the People's business.

Only a fascist politician gets into a businesse's political decisions.

How about to get MAGA business?

A lot of people think its high time we made America great again. Don't you think its worthwhile to seek that business? A-B's decision to turn away from that business by embracing the idea of men violating each other's buttholes has cost them a lot of bud light sales.
Far greater perversions have been fueled by Bud Light, Snowflake.

Yep, those flockers help raise home prices and they are swapping their state taxes for property insurance rates. Gets them no where.

Forum List

Back