Do You Really Want This Alternative to Trump as President?

Um, his states business is BOOMING. What in the fuck are you talking about? If every state was doing what DeSantis is doing, we would be killing it right now!!!!

He's lying.
I was in Orlando in August 2020....

It was a ghost town....

I had been going to the gym at home since mid may....
Thios cannot be a serious post. It's not possible.

Actually, most states have recently had full coffers from Covid money extended to them, but that is running out and in the future Florida and other states may have more difficulties. Much of Florida of course is still a good place to live for retirees like me, but inflation here was worse than most other states, rent and housing costs extremely high, insurance absolutely insane, with most counties unable even to fill openings for their (very low-paid) teachers and nurses. Of course there are plenty of hardworking but undocumented workers in hospitality, senior care, service, agricultural and construction industries — and DeSantis wants to deport all of them no matter how long they have lived here or how deep their roots here.

So it is certainly possible, for reasons in addition to what the OP brings up, DeSantis could eventually become unpopular enough even in Florida to be voted out. But the DeSantis faction and Republican politicians in general are ruthless and now I fear have a pretty tight stranglehold here.

Also the Dems here are disorganized, demoralized and have no charismatic champions that I have heard of. The youth vote and woman’s organizations here are also not especially strong — too many damn old people like me! — so even DeSantis’ draconian 8-week anti-abortion law has gotten through the state legislature quietly and with relatively little protest.

As for national politics, not being a Republican it is not up to me to say who would be best to replace the dangerous demagogue and mad megalomaniac Trump as “standard bearer.”

I would hope that ANY two or more declared national opponents of Trump’s “Big Lie” start working as a team and manage to replace him, but I doubt enough present Republicans will get their act together and rally for “common sense,” nor do I expect Trump to step back gracefully, even if he ends up going to jail convicted here in Florida or elsewhere of proven crimes.

But if an attractive agreed upon double slate (for Pres. & V.P) emerge even only as a respected alternative to Trump inside that party, if not in 2024 then in 2028 the Repubs would have a chance to advance sane conservative candidates capable of winning, and the process of purging their lunatic wing could begin, maybe even without losing 100% of their new deluded Trump MAGA voters. That would be great for the country!

By the way I used to fear Pence, his being so supportive of banning abortion nationally. But if he is now really moving toward a stronger anti-Trump anti- “Big Lie” line, I wouldn’t be upset if he were on their ticket in 2024, since I don’t think such a law could pass at this stage nationally … and he might help the Republican Fundamentalist Wing of the party to at least recover from its “Trump was Sent by God to Save Us from the Demonrats” syndrome.
Correction: My comment was wrong in one respect. DeSantis quietly pushed through his draconian six-week anti-abortion law. I wrote incorrectly that it was an eight-week law.

In fact Floridians overwhelmingly oppose this law as too extreme, but as it doesn’t effect most people directly, and DeSantis is otherwise popular among MAGA supporters, it passed the Republican-controlled State legislation easily.

Speaking strictly from a business policy standpoint. I know Ron DeSantis was hailed as being the Trump alternative in 2024.
So far, Ron has let his inner policy maker out to play and turned off a lot of people with his crusade against what he calls "woke".
Now, it's costing his state money. While I've never seen Trump formulate a policy on his own, I've also never seen him be directly anti-business.

Do Republicans really want to see a governor who is openly hostile to businesses in his own state become President?

Whoever can kick the Democrats out of the White House works for me. The 2024 election is not about picking the best candidate, it is about getting rid of the Democrats who are destroying the country.

Whoever can kick the Democrats out of the White House works for me. The 2024 election is not about picking the best candidate, it is about getting rid of the Democrats who are destroying the country.
The proof of which is that even after the most aggressive rate hike schedule in the Fed's history, more Americans continue to find work.

There is no possible way that was a serious post. You CANNOT think everyone is that stupid. You cannot be that stupid. It's not possible.
Please don't get hysterical because you've got my attention.

Stop....breathe....think about what you wish to communicate..

Jesus H tap-dancing Christ! Stop playing stupid. You cannot be as stupid as you are acting and still manage to clothe and feed yourself.
I don't blame you....once the yapping stops, the field dressing begins...

The Silence of the MAGAts

Can you hear it, Clarisse?

DeSantis saw Mr. Trump's overall weakness not understanding that the MAGA commitment to Mr. Trump cannot be overcome.

Additionally, his misplaying of the cultural war opens him to real political injury next year and in the future.

No, I lack the patience to deal with you when you are playing stupid.

It was August of 2020 and things were mostly shut down, you jackass!
I live in S. NH....the gyms opened here at the end of May...Ma. followed in June.

DeSantis saw Mr. Trump's overall weakness not understanding that the MAGA commitment to Mr. Trump cannot be overcome.

Additionally, his misplaying of the cultural war opens him to real political injury next year and in the future.
I'm sure he can carpetbag with some shitty constituency to whom he can sell his tripe.

Forum List

Back