Do You Support The "Gun Show Loophole?"

Do You Support The "Gun Show Loophole?"

• Total voters
This is only true if, as I said, you can show that universal registration is an effective means to affect a compelling state iinterest, and is the least restrictive means to that end.

If for no other reason that felons and others legally unable to own a gun cannot, according to currenlt jurisprudence, be forced to register their guns, it cannot be shown that runiversal registration is an "effective means".

Thus, it is not just an infringement, but one that violates the constitution.

Which is clearly why the NRA, and their pet congressmen, pushed through legislation to attempt to ban federal government studies that would provide said proof.

There are many studies that have shown conclusively that around 85% of weapons used in crimes have been sold privately, without documentation.

Which is a clear indication that private undocumented sales of said weapons is a contributing factor to them being used in criminal activity, and thus a threat to public safety.

And, of course, the only sure way to find out is to do it.

Good for them,. The fact is that there are plenty of studies already in existence, many of them sponsored by pro registration groups, that admit that there is no evidence that registration would prevent crime. Why should we have the government spending money to prove something when other people already have?

Hey Einstein, if 'The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill', HOW do we know WHO is a felon or mentally ill? By looks? Smell??

Your solution to not being able to tell who the felons are is to punish everyone?

You truly are a pea brain. PLEASE tell me how to tell who a felon is without a background check. Do you look up their asshole looking for forced entry?

Please tell me how background checks stopped Chris Dorner.

There aren't going to be successful court challenges against registration of firearms and you know it. Only fools think that's an issue.

Say it all day, doesn't make it so. You ever going to address the other post?

I can't keep up with it all, so tell me what you think I should know, just like all your breed tries to tell the world and pretend people who stand for individual freedom are a joke. There is an individual freedom issue for you to own assault type weapons, but there is also an individual freedom issue involving not having their young child being shot 11 times by that choice of how to apply freedom. I've had to live a warrior's life since first grade, when I went to a white school and discovered six White people in first grade and there wasn't kindergarten back then.

I grew up in a war zone as a child in America, facing nine blocks of ****** infested streets to go and come back from school on my feet. We had six White people in the first grade and I was the only White person left when my family moved from that neighborhood. My reward is having a super-genius IQ, because I learned from my bad experience and didn't make it a crutch in my life.

I know what it's like to grow up as a minority and it isn't fun.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwpb&v=oBftzMxDtIg&NR=1]Sync - Episode 1 (Directed by Corridor Digital) - YouTube[/ame]

Tell me with you super genius IQ, in you best racist terms, what the hell did that video have to do with anything in this thread? While you at it tell me why you won't resopnd to post #1352?

There are some major problems to requiring background checks for personal firearms sales:
It is illegal for the police to perform a background check on anyone without a federal mandate for the search. Dealers can do so because they are licensed to perform the checks. Dealers charge $60 and more to perform these checks and once the process is started the gun is taken into the dealer's inventory - the seller no longer owns the gun. In order to get his own gun back if the sale does not go through he has to fill out the same paperwork that he filled out when he first bought the gun.

So it becomes a form of confiscation prior to the sale. The dealer will make $120 on a non-sale and $60 on a sale for facilitating a background check on a "private" sale between two parties. If you believe it is worth the $60 dollars are you willing to let your tax dollars pay the fees?

Last edited:

I can't keep up with it all, so tell me what you think I should know, just like all your breed tries to tell the world and pretend people who stand for individual freedom are a joke. There is an individual freedom issue for you to own assault type weapons, but there is also an individual freedom issue involving not having their young child being shot 11 times by that choice of how to apply freedom. I've had to live a warrior's life since first grade, when I went to a white school and discovered six White people in first grade and there wasn't kindergarten back then.

I grew up in a war zone as a child in America, facing nine blocks of ****** infested streets to go and come back from school on my feet. We had six White people in the first grade and I was the only White person left when my family moved from that neighborhood. My reward is having a super-genius IQ, because I learned from my bad experience and didn't make it a crutch in my life.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwpb&v=oBftzMxDtIg&NR=1]Sync - Episode 1 (Directed by Corridor Digital) - YouTube[/ame]

Tell me with you super genius IQ, in you best racist terms, what the hell did that video have to do with anything in this thread? While you at it tell me why you won't resopnd to post #1352?

Go easy on the kid you'll give him nightmares

Actually I would have no problem if they would make NICS available to the public where a seller could do a name and dob check. But if you start forcing records keeping requirements on non-dealers or other bureaucratic crap, then I would have objections.

Owning a firearm is a right, but selling firearms for profit is not. If a so called 'private seller' is burdened by too much records keeping etc, then he is NOT really Uncle Joe selling some of his collection, now is he? These so-called 'private sellers' are supposed to be making only occasional sales. According to federal law, they cannot be "engaged in the business" of selling firearms. But that's exactly what undercover investigators found. They found private sellers with large inventories doing a brisk business. In fact, one private seller acknowledged selling 348 guns in less than a year.

There are a few people selling any quantities with regularity, the majority of private sales are individuals selling their own guns. Seems like the easiest fix it to change the dealer requirements to gather in the folks operating on the fringes of the law. There is no reason to take a sledge hammer to a problem that a small ball ping could fix. Would that not make more sense?

Then eliminate 'private sellers' at gun shows. If you are not a licensed dealer, no booth. No one should be allowed to buy a gun without passing a background check...NO ONE. Even though it is impossible to enforce in every circumstance, it should be the law. If you sell a gun to someone without that person passing a background check, and that gun is used in a crime, YOU are liable.

Last edited:
Owning a firearm is a right, but selling firearms for profit is not. If a so called 'private seller' is burdened by too much records keeping etc, then he is NOT really Uncle Joe selling some of his collection, now is he? These so-called 'private sellers' are supposed to be making only occasional sales. According to federal law, they cannot be "engaged in the business" of selling firearms. But that's exactly what undercover investigators found. They found private sellers with large inventories doing a brisk business. In fact, one private seller acknowledged selling 348 guns in less than a year.

There are a few people selling any quantities with regularity, the majority of private sales are individuals selling their own guns. Seems like the easiest fix it to change the dealer requirements to gather in the folks operating on the fringes of the law. There is no reason to take a sledge hammer to a problem that a small ball ping could fix. Would that not make more sense?

Then eliminate 'private sellers' at gun shows. If you are not a licensed dealer, no booth. No one should be allowed to buy a gun without passing a background check...NO ONE. Even though it is impossible to enforce in every circumstance, it should be the law. If you sell a gun to someone without that person passing a background check, and that gun is used in a crime, YOU are liable.

Ok, your not interested in trying to tweak the system to gather in the pseudo dealers, you want to hold everyone responsible for every possibility. So let's extend your logic on out a ways, how about we hold you responsible for selling your car to someone with a record of drunk driving if they crash it while drinking. Or how about if you decide to sell your tools and some idiot uses the hammer to kill someone, should we send you to jail for selling a tool to an unstable person? After all hammers and other blunt objects kill more people than rifles. The point is, where does it stop? When do we concentrate on the criminal and keep repeat offenders out of society, either by killing their worthless asses or locking them up forever?

He is a troll, you can't expect him to actually post content.

Ok, your not interested in trying to tweak the system to gather in the pseudo dealers, you want to hold everyone responsible for every possibility. So let's extend your logic on out a ways, how about we hold you responsible for selling your car to someone with a record of drunk driving if they crash it while drinking. Or how about if you decide to sell your tools and some idiot uses the hammer to kill someone, should we send you to jail for selling a tool to an unstable person? After all hammers and other blunt objects kill more people than rifles. The point is, where does it stop? When do we concentrate on the criminal and keep repeat offenders out of society, either by killing their worthless asses or locking them up forever?

Nice childish whine. Then just tell us how many murderers, felons, wife beaters and mentally ill people should be allowed to buy a gun without a background check?

Unlike the items you mentioned, a gun has a sole purpose.

Nice childish whine. Then just tell us how many murderers, felons, wife beaters and mentally ill people should be allowed to buy a gun without a background check?

Tell me how many innocent people have to pay for the crimes of murderers, felons, wife beaters, and the mentally ill before you will accept that enough is enough.

The sole purpose of a gun is to fire a projectile from point A to point B, a person determines what those points are. Just like a person decides if a hammer hits the head of a nail or a persons head. It's the person with the tool that determines if the use is legal or illegal, not the tool. Why don't you want to deal with the criminals?

You mean having fun target shooting?

Based on... what?
Based on the fact that the seller illegally provided the criminal with the means to carry out their crime.
When is it illegal to selll a firearm to someone?

Where does the second amendment mention protection to the sellers of weapons?

Prohibited persons

The following list of prohibited persons are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.

• Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.

• Fugitives from justice

• Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs

• Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.

• Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.

• Illegal Aliens

• Those who have renounced U.S. citizenship

• Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and the age of twenty-one for handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.

• Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)

• Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition

• Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

Acquiring from dealers

Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer's and purchaser's states and localities are complied with:

• An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual's state of residence.

• An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state. However, the applicant may not purchase a pistol gripped long gun that does not have a shoulder stock until he or she is 21 years of age.

• It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm unless the federal firearms licensee receives notice of approval from a prescribed source approving the transfer.

• Sale of a firearm by a federally licensed dealer must be documented by a federal form 4473, which identifies and includes other information about the purchaser, and records the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. Sales to an individual of multiple handguns within a five-day period require dealer notification to the ATF. Violations of dealer record keeping requirements are punishable by a penalty of up to $1000 and one year's imprisonment.
  • An individual holding a Curio and Relics License (officially a Type 03 Federal Firearms License (FFL); also called a C&R) may directly purchase firearms that are 50 or more years old from anyone AND any firearm officially recognized by the ATF as a Curio and Relic (C&R).

Sales between individuals

For transactions that don't involve federal firearms licensees, such as private transactions, federal law is less strict when it comes to minimum age.

In a private transaction, federal law prohibits the transfer or the sale of a handgun or ammunition, for use only in handguns, to individuals under 18 years of age. Although, there are certain exceptions in federal law, that if met, would allow an individual to transfer a handgun or ammunition, for use only in handguns, to someone under 18 years of age.

There is no federal law concerning minimum age for the transfer or sale of a firearm that is not defined as a handgun, such as rifles, semiautomatic rifles, short-barreled rifles, shotguns, short-barreled shotgun, etc., for transactions that don't involve federal firearms licensees.

An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state. Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence. Likewise, antique firearms are exempt from these sections of the law in most states. (Antique firearms are defined as those manufactured pre-1899 by US federal law, or modern replicas thereof that do not use cartridges. State law definitions on antique firearms vary considerably from state to state.)

Based on the fact that the seller illegally provided the criminal with the means to carry out their crime.

Prohibited persons

The following list of prohibited persons are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.

• Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.

• Fugitives from justice

• Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.

• Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.

• Illegal Aliens

• Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and the age of twenty-one for handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.

• Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)

• Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition

• Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

Acquiring from dealers

Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer's and purchaser's states and localities are complied with:

• An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual's state of residence.

• An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state. However, the applicant may not purchase a pistol gripped long gun that does not have a shoulder stock until he or she is 21 years of age.

• It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm unless the federal firearms licensee receives notice of approval from a prescribed source approving the transfer.

• Sale of a firearm by a federally licensed dealer must be documented by a federal form 4473, which identifies and includes other information about the purchaser, and records the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. Sales to an individual of multiple handguns within a five-day period require dealer notification to the ATF. Violations of dealer record keeping requirements are punishable by a penalty of up to $1000 and one year's imprisonment.

• An individual holding a Curio and Relics License (officially a Type 03 Federal Firearms License (FFL); also called a C&R) may directly purchase firearms that are 50 or more years old from anyone AND any firearm officially recognized by the ATF as a Curio and Relic (C&R).

For transactions that don't involve federal firearms licensees, such as private transactions, federal law is less strict when it comes to minimum age.

In a private transaction, federal law prohibits the transfer or the sale of a handgun or ammunition, for use only in handguns, to individuals under 18 years of age. Although, there are certain exceptions in federal law, that if met, would allow an individual to transfer a handgun or ammunition, for use only in handguns, to someone under 18 years of age.

There is no federal law concerning minimum age for the transfer or sale of a firearm that is not defined as a handgun, such as rifles, semiautomatic rifles, short-barreled rifles, shotguns, short-barreled shotgun, etc., for transactions that don't involve federal firearms licensees.

An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state. Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence. Likewise, antique firearms are exempt from these sections of the law in most states. (Antique firearms are defined as those manufactured pre-1899 by US federal law, or modern replicas thereof that do not use cartridges. State law definitions on antique firearms vary considerably from state to state.)

Tell you what, as soon as you explain how "Shall not be infringed" means that you can make up any rule you want I will be happy to explain that private sales between individuals of anything, including guns, is not covered by the Constitution in any way, shape, or form.

The sole purpose of a gun is to fire a projectile from point A to point B, a person determines what those points are. Just like a person decides if a hammer hits the head of a nail or a persons head. It's the person with the tool that determines if the use is legal or illegal, not the tool. Why don't you want to deal with the criminals?

Just tell us how many murderers, felons, wife beaters and mentally ill people should be allowed to buy a gun without a background check?

It is a straight forward question that deserves a straight forward answer.

Prohibited persons

• Fugitives from justice

• Illegal Aliens

Acquiring from dealers

Tell you what, as soon as you explain how "Shall not be infringed" means that you can make up any rule you want I will be happy to explain that private sales between individuals of anything, including guns, is not covered by the Constitution in any way, shape, or form.

"Shall not be infringed" is irrelevant. State and federal courts have "infringed" several times and will many more times in the future. The 2nd Amendment is nothing but a fossil from another time - a different time. Even wingnut Scalia made that clear.

Just tell us how many murderers, felons, wife beaters and mentally ill people should be allowed to buy a gun without a background check?

How many times is a firearm sold to a person that the seller didn't know the back ground of the buyer whether it's a piece of paper from the government, or between friends?

How many times is a firearm sold to a person that the seller didn't know the back ground of the buyer whether it's a piece of paper from the government, or between friends?

Hence, the reason that background checks are needed on ALL gun sales.

Forum List

Back