Do you think earning more money boosts happiness?

jaredaldo13

Aug 29, 2017
Personally, I don't think it buys true happiness. But if I was to earn an extra $100 a day, it would improve my life and comfort so much.

What do you guys think about money and happiness being related?

Money cannot buy happiness, but it can support a lifestyle that provides more opportunities for happiness than a lifestyle that has none.

Personally, I don't think it buys true happiness. But if I was to earn an extra $100 a day, it would improve my life and comfort so much.

Coming from the perspective of someone who once had none... Money just makes you more of what you were, before you got it.

Money cannot buy happiness, but it can support a lifestyle that provides more opportunities for happiness than a lifestyle that has none.
good point! Just curious what do you think is the secret to happiness? Any examples of how money provides an opportunity for happiness

Money cant buy happiness, but it can buy things that increase happiness.

View attachment 146565

I personally like to challenge myself each day. Without breaking the law, if I make stock trades that put another $100,000 in my pocket, so be it, if I lose $8,000 on a start up, like E-Toys, it is a learning experience. Life is all about learning, and doing it the legal way, if you want to make money the illegal way, then you should be a politician.

As for happiness, that comes from within, not what you have. A liberal can never be happy, which is why they FORCE the rest of US to be miserable. That way they can feel equal.

71edfa307d40725b1d78e9a50e507855.jpg

good point! Just curious what do you think is the secret to happiness? Any examples of how money provides an opportunity for happiness

I can buy Dom Benedictine and Chivas instead of Milwaukee's Best and Thunderbird.

It makes me happy. :2up:

A secret to happiness is give no shit about what others think about your beliefs and your lifestyle. Suffer no fools or unwarranted guilt.

Full speed ahead.

Its not about the money, it's the freedom to pursue and apply yourself to earn this money and said career.

Any agency, nation or persons who impeded on these pursuits of another human deserve the Wrath of God as far as I am concerned. I dare not shed a tear when the bullied are then bullied (hint: Canada and NAFTA).

God Bless America.

I second this. It may help solve a lot of problems, but it doesn't take care of everything.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. If it had the ability to bring a cremated person back from the dead, my crying would then be a thing of the past.

I remember reading something that after around 60k a year, happiness doesn't increase with increased money. I think because around that point you aren't struggling to meet your needs, and most people's wants don't make them happier.

I've also read that it's not money that makes you happy but having a margin. For example, when I was in the Navy as an E1 I made under 1000 bucks a month starting out. But my margin was... nearly $1000 a month. I had no bills, lived on base, ate on base, etc. Or when I was a kid working a summer job and 90% of what I made went into that bank account. That's probably the richest I've ever felt and I wasn't making squat in reality. But I had a margin over what I needed.

I remember reading that if you make over $65k a year you are in the top 1% of earners in the world. Over $45k and you are top 5%. But nobody is rich. We just all know someone who is. Of course if you ask the person you think is rich if they are, they aren't rich, but they know someone who is. Rich to someone making $30k a year is $60k a year. Rich to someone making $50k a year is someone making $100k a year. Polls on people that make over 100k a year and they say being rich is 5 million in liquid assets or more. 4 million in available spending money is not rich...

Most of us are so rich we feel we need to do this thing called upgrading. When we take a kitchen with an oven and a microwave and countertops and spend all this money to change it into a kitchen with an oven and a microwave and countertops. Or take a perfectly good working vehicle to a store where you can give them money and they'll put you in a perfectly good working vehicle.

Honestly I've lived on Bush light and Mac and Cheese in college and enjoyed that time in my life as much as where I am now earning more than I need by far.

If one could only reach that sweet spot of having enough money to bring joy but not enough to bring worry. :)

Financial security - being able to pay the bills, put some aside for a rainy day, and have some to play with - can enhance happiness. Can money buy happiness?...depends on what makes you happy.

Helen Hayes (long ago actress) told in her memoirs of meeting her husband for the first time. He poured a few peanuts into her hand and said, I wish they were emeralds. Many years later, after achieving great financial success, he gave her a bag of emeralds and said, I wish they were peanuts. Or so the story goes.

I'd guess he was lamenting loss of youth...not loss of financial insecurity.

You have it in your power to take steps to improve your income - or at least to balance the ratio between outgo and inflo. Good luck!

Science tells us that having money past a certain point doesn't make one happier.

But not having enough money will make you unhappy.

I agree.

Money cannot buy happiness but it helps ...oh how it helps! :biggrin:

but

at the end of the day when all's said and done......

2 things money can't buy..... health.....and

;)

8132f6ed4c6fb77d9350ab063a5c3813--open-your-eyes-van.jpg

We all have problems. Even Millionaires and Billionaires have problems.

Having money is great. But believing it will make you happy is a mistake.

:thup:

Forum List

Back