Does anyone know anything about the electorate? Are they worthy of voting?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I find it a bit hypocritical of those electorate who are going to reneg on their pledge and defy the will of the people, based on their own perception and opinion of the Republican nominee. If their judgement of Trump is supposedly valid, that it carries more weight than millions who voted for him, where are the details of the electorates themselves?

The fact that they would be willing to violate their own pledge says something in itself, but what else do voters know about them?

I know it's a long shot for them to pull off this coup, but the very thought of it even being a remote possibility is troubling.

I find it a bit hypocritical of those electorate who are going to reneg on their pledge and defy the will of the people, based on their own perception and opinion of the Republican nominee. If their judgement of Trump is supposedly valid, that it carries more weight than millions who voted for him, where are the details of the electorates themselves?

The fact that they would be willing to violate their own pledge says something in itself, but what else do voters know about them?

I know it's a long shot for them to pull off this coup, but the very thought of it even being a remote possibility is troubling.

Are you thinking of the Electoral College?

The electorate is the body of 100+ million voters across the nation. It sounds like you mean the EC. Those are "electors", not "electorate".

The Electoral College is supposed to be a deliberative body, not a rubber stamp. The "will of the people" means nothing. That's just a sham. The EC is who elects the President, and they can and do vote for whoever they want, including people who didn't even run for President. Back in 1960 Electors in three different states cast votes for Senator Harry Byrd of Virginia, who wasn't even running.

They were set up expressly for that purpose of deliberation, so that for one example a con artist who hoodwinked the electorate (the people) could be stopped, and for another example to arrest the taking of power by someone with dependent ties to a foreign government. Both of those were specifically articulated in the eighteenth century by Hamilton, and both apply here.

Now as to your original title, how stupid are the electorate ----- considering how 62 million voted, you may have a point there.

Also it cannot be defined as a "coup". A coup is wresting power away from an entity that already has it. Rump isn't officially the President-elect yet. Nobody is. The Electoral College vote is where that actually happens.

The electorate is the body of 100+ million voters across the nation. It sounds like you mean the EC. Those are "electors", not "electorate".

The Electoral College is supposed to be a deliberative body, not a rubber stamp. The "will of the people" means nothing. That's just a sham. The EC is who elects the President, and they can and do vote for whoever they want, including people who didn't even run for President. Back in 1960 Electors in three different states cast votes for Senator Harry Byrd of Virginia, who wasn't even running.

They were set up expressly for that purpose of deliberation, so that for one example a con artist who hoodwinked the electorate (the people) could be stopped, and for another example to arrest the taking of power by someone with dependent ties to a foreign government. Both of those were specifically articulated in the eighteenth century by Hamilton, and both apply here.

Now as to your original title, how stupid are the electorate ----- considering how 62 million voted, you may have a point there.

You think only half of them voted stupidly?

I think the majority did

You think only half of them voted stupidly?

I think the majority did

Fair point.
But what were their choices?

Especially with this bullshit Electrical College system in place ---- it negates the vote of everybody in a state who didn't happen to vote the way their state did, and it forces voters in so-called "battleground" states to vote for a block instead of a choice. That's one way the EC enables and prolongs this ridiculous Duopoly.

Btw OP, we did all the machinations of the Electoral College in this thread.

Forum List

Back