does evil exist? if so, can someone detect and measure it?

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
like, if i wish my baby doesn't end up mentally ill, am i discriminating against the mentally ill?

1615849288331.png

am i discriminating against the mentally ill?
No not in my opinion. Who doesn't wish for a healthy baby in every way?

Does evil exist? IMHO, the only evil that exists is what we intentionally do to ourselves and others that is wrong. Misfortune is not the same as evil, misfortune is more like bad luck that is undeserved.

Can evil be detected? I think so, but we have to be careful about judging someone to be evil ahead of the facts.

Can evil be measured? Everyone has their own barometer of what is good and bad, and what is worse than something else. Pretty subjective I think.

This is my definition

Insanity is when you are doing bad things or things not productive to yourself or others for no apparent reason.

Stupidity is when you are doing bad things or things not productive to yourself with the intent of benefiting yourself, but falling short.

Evil is when you are doing bad things or things not productive to yourself or humanity but somehow benefit from it on a material basis just the same.

like, if i wish my baby doesn't end up mentally ill, am i discriminating against the mentally ill?
Evil...well..some hold that it's just a matter of perspective..and that in an uncaring universe..we decide. Others let belief in a deity decide.

For some..evil is manifest in action..and there are no evil thoughts For others, thoughts ARE actions..and an evil thought has reality and consequence.

For almost all of us..evil and good are contextual--murder a child is evil..murder a child molester..maybe not so much? Or..are both acts equally evil--or--do we, as humans, assign a value?

Then there is the concept of Right and Wrong..and does it really correspond to Good and Evil?

As for your opening premise...no...any sane person wishes the best for their offspring....there is no discrimination is such a stance. Now, if you learn that your child IS going to be born mentally ill..and you abort the fetus---then you have a conversation on good and evil--and right and wrong.

Are there any absolutes...or do we decide?

very brief reply...as this is one of the BIG questions--whole libraries are full of material--many attempt to break it down and simplify it by adding God.

Parents from the beginning of humanity have hoped for a great many things regarding their unborn. Good overall health likely being number one.

But for women that want an abortion anyway.

As to evil, that has likely been argued about the same amount of time and while people have their theories and beliefs, it doesn't seem there are any concrete answers to that either. It's nature vs nurture. I fall somewhere between BF Skinner and Maslow myself.

I think serial killers can be born with wires crossed and I also believe serial killers can be made.

simple logic;
The adversary to Life and the power and source of life(we call God) is
Death. The power of death and destruction we call Devil, the NT even teaches that.
What is the mirror opposite the "DEVIL"?
having "LIVED".
what is everything opposite to "LIVE"-
"EVIL".
To measure good or evil without being subjective, you measure evil by how unstable and destructive that is opposing the path to stability completeness and wholeness something is, in order to know if it is adversary and opposition to life and that Essence to become everything it should and could be.
While everything leading to becoming more whole and perfected and stable and betterment in life is the measurement of righteousness aka right path.

simple logic;
Death. The power of death and destruction we call Devil, the NT even teaches that.
having "LIVED".
"EVIL".
To measure good or evil without being subjective, you measure evil by how unstable and destructive that is opposing the path to stability completeness and wholeness something is, in order to know if it is adversary and opposition to life and that Essence to become everything it should and could be.
While everything leading to becoming more whole and perfected and stable and betterment in life is the measurement of righteousness aka right path.
Look where we could be and what we could have managed to become if the evil ones( those standing in the way of progress,and wholeness and stability) had not been there to hinder us...How can we measure that and would we still Be living at subsistence levels if we had not adapted and overcome the ones that have thwarted us..

simple logic;
having "LIVED".
"EVIL".
Look where we could be and what we could have managed to become if the evil ones( those standing in the way of progress,and wholeness and stability) had not been there to hinder us...How can we measure that and would we still Be living at subsistence levels if we had not adapted and overcome the ones that have thwarted us..
Just like prisons, they collectively choose to live in their own hell they create for themselves.
52gchc.jpg

Forum List

Back