Zone1 Does the Human Soul have Consciousness?

Religious teachers, philosophers.. name any that call this soul the mind. LOL

Nope. Souls do not exist. I believe what I do, that nothing exists after death but a slab of meat, because I've dealt with dead bodies.

To demand that a soul actually exists is silly. You yourself listed a soul as being "mind / will / emotions / personality). Those all exist in the brain (mind). Brain science can pinpoint where those things appear/generate...

enough childish nonsense.

later
So true. Everything cancels out. Souls dont exist, even you dont exist.

Starting with all we are is a mind is a good starting point to awakening, but even “the awakened state” falls away as you go along.

Nope, the brain and the mind are not synonymous, obviously.

The brain is a physical organ, the mind is non-physical.

What is physical is temporary... what is non-physical continues on.
Your mind is your brain. It is physical.

These are facts, not speculation. You can watch your mind work in an EEG or MRI. When it stops working there is no more person.

Your mind is your brain. It is physical.

These are facts, not speculation. You can watch your mind work in an EEG or MRI. When it stops working there is no more person.
"The physical world is entirely abstract and without ‘actuality’ apart from its linkage to consciousness. It is primarily physicists who have expressed most clearly and forthrightly this pervasive relationship between mind and matter, and indeed at times the primacy of mind." Arthur Eddington wrote, “the stuff of the world is mind‑stuff. The mind‑stuff is not spread in space and time." Von Weizsacker stated what he called his “Identity Hypothesis; that consciousness and matter are different aspects of the same reality. In 1952 Wolfgang Pauli said, "the only acceptable point of view appears to be the one that recognizes both sides of reality -- the quantitative and the qualitative, the physical and the psychical -- as compatible with each other, and can embrace them simultaneously . . . It would be most satisfactory of all if physis and psyche (i.e., matter and mind) could be seen as complementary aspects of the same reality.

Mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality - that the stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is the constant presence of Mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life, and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create."

George Wald, Nobel Laureate

It is my understanding that consciousness (awareness of one's singularity) is a basic human trait which allows for the concept of an individual soul, something that transcends physical life. However, as a matter of brain function, consciousness ceases after death. The question I have is does some sort of consciousness remain with the human soul? If not, how would we be aware of any continuity after death, and whether that constituted a reward or punishment for our earthly behavior?

It seems to me that, without some continuing consciousness, we would never know if we had a soul, much less have any recognition of where our souls might ultimately reside. Has anyone else considered this potential dilemma? If so, what are your thoughts?
You are a soul.
You have a body which has a mind and a spirit.
The "soul" (nepesh in Hebrew) is the sum total of mind, body, and spirit collectively.

It is my understanding that consciousness (awareness of one's singularity) is a basic human trait which allows for the concept of an individual soul, something that transcends physical life. However, as a matter of brain function, consciousness ceases after death. The question I have is does some sort of consciousness remain with the human soul? If not, how would we be aware of any continuity after death, and whether that constituted a reward or punishment for our earthly behavior?

It seems to me that, without some continuing consciousness, we would never know if we had a soul, much less have any recognition of where our souls might ultimately reside. Has anyone else considered this potential dilemma? If so, what are your thoughts?

Consciousness is just an appearance, a survival skill.

Really we're just biological beings, we don't get to make choices, everything is inevitable.

Like an explosion, as soon as the explosion starts, everything is going to happen in a preordained manner.

Oh and one other thing.
When reading Biblical scripture you cannot apply 21st century perceptions on literature written 5,700+ years ago. You must use an originalist understanding. Not a modern populist understanding.

I think you confuse "soul" with the Spirit of Man."

You ARE a soul. My cat is a soul.
The Spirit in man is the "software" that is the sum total of all your experiences. It returns to God at your death and is what will remake you at the Resurrection of the Dead. This occurs when you are to be judged

I think you confuse "soul" with the Spirit of Man."

You ARE a soul. My cat is a soul.
The Spirit in man is the "software" that is the sum total of all your experiences. It returns to God at your death and is what will remake you at the Resurrection of the Dead. This occurs when you are to be judged

There are some different ideas on this. I want to learn more, because I think it's a fascinating topic.

But here's a view I've heard many times. Since you brought up the computer analogy.

The physical body is the hardware.
The soul is the software.
The human spirit is like the electricity. It gives brings it all to "life."

(Like I said, I'm still learning about it, so if the above analogy is incorrect, i'm willing to change my view on it. But I just wanted to bring up that analogy)

There are some different ideas on this. I want to learn more, because I think it's a fascinating topic.

But here's a view I've heard many times. Since you brought up the 'computer' analogy.

(Like I said, I'm still learning about it, so if the above analogy is incorrect, i'm willing to change my view on it. But I just wanted to bring up that analogy)
It's not correct. You are a soul.
My cat is a soul.
The soul who sins dies.

But here's a view I've heard many times. Since you brought up the computer analogy.

My understanding is similar but a little different.
Weve both discussed this before. Few others pay attention to the fact that both humans and animals have a spirit that returns to the Creator. Most people call that the "soul"

It's not correct. You are a soul.
My cat is a soul.
The soul who sins dies.

Where did I say that we're not a soul? :confused-84:

Since you brought it up though.... I have heard the view that our true self is a spirit with a soul... as opposed to a soul with a spirit. Like I said I want to learn more about this.

I used to have a very interesting book by Watchman Nee on this topic. I don't have it anymore, but if anyone knows of any other books on this topic, please lmk.

Two hundred years ago and earlier the religious made the human brain the soul. It ceases to exist with the rest of the dead body.

As Paul said, "Absent from the body is present with the Lord." so that tells you what plane we move to.
As Paul said, "Absent from the body is present with the Lord." so that explains what plane we go to, And the Bible gives us a glimpse of some of the attributes of a soul. We look similar to what we looked like in life. We are recognizable as who we were. We can speak, we have tongues, we get thirsty, we remember.
Luke 16: 19-31

Forum List

Back