Dogs refuse to eat vegan "meat"...

We're caretaking my daughters mini Aussie while she's stationed overseas, what a great dog all round with highly pet-able fur..

They are the yummiest little things. Mine is a red merle with blue eyes. She's amazingly athletic at the age of 7. It's such a pleasure to watch her run and jump!

I once saw a bunch of coon dogs push a haunch of fresh bear meat into the corner of their pen and bark at it till we pulled it out and they loved fresh deer meat.

I swear I've seen dead bear basically melt into the ground.....The only thing that would eat them was the maggots and carrion beetles.

They say it's how you cook it. Ate it once and decided it's not worth the bullet.

They say it's how you cook it. Ate it once and decided it's not worth the bullet.
I've tried it about every way you can cook it and the most semi-palatable was a haunch that a friend made.

He separated the muscles and removed every trace of fat then stuffed it with bacon, tied it up, and smoked it. One serving of it was all I wanted though.

I was lucky though, we had one of those Mountain Men larpers in town and he would take them off our hands and made stuff of them. All I wanted back was the skull.

There is no such thing as "vegan meat."

There is meat, and there is crap made from vegetables made to look like some sort of meat product.

And while we're at, we get milk from female mammals (this does not include mammals that "identify" as female...) with boobs, not almonds, soy beans, oats, or whatever, that shit is juice not milk.

There is meat, and there is crap made from vegetables made to look like some sort of meat product.

And while we're at, we get milk from female mammals (this does not include mammals that "identify" as female...) with boobs, not almonds, soy beans, oats, or whatever, that shit is juice not milk.
I eat a vegan diet, but with plenty of added dairy and meat.

I haven't a clue why a vegan wants to eat made up food to look like a rasher of bacon, or a sausage, or a burger etc.. I think us meat eaters should campaign the food companies so we can eat something that looks like a carrot or banana, but it's made from rib eye steak.

My dogs eat meat and some vegetables. They like meat cooked to "well done" in the George Foreman, lol. Also, they like meat cooked in the slow cooker with an oxo cube. They especially like ox cheek and oxtail.

I stopped buying meat off the delicatessen counter because our two dogs would rarely eat it. So those must be full of chemicals and salts.

When was the last tie you saw a dog loping through a corn field and taking down a corn stalk to eat an ear of corn?
My dogs eat carrots, broccoli, and even salad in fact instead of those crappy and expensive dog treats I toss my dogs baby carrots for treats and they love them.

If they were pure carnivores they would not eat those things

Mostly those things are made from gluten and they are quite high in protein. it's called seitan.

Thing is with dogs, they will eat loads of things, but if you check with your vet, you will find out if your dog gets any benefit from that particular type of food. So as a treat, we used to let our dogs have a bowl of Rice Krispies or Golden Grahams (breakfast cereals), the vet said those won't do any harm to the dogs, but they won't get any nutrition out of them. So we quit given them cereals.

When your bitch has a litter of puppies, the mother will stop weaning them, and there's no puppy food on the shelves that covers their age. We found out that goats milk and Weetabix was the answer on the puppy world.

Anyone putting a dog on a vegan diet should be banned from owning dogs.

I know that when I took my mini Aussie off all grains, her dog breath disappeared!

The one I have now, not so lucky. She gets no people food but plenty of meat and vegetables, and her flatulence is HORRIBLE as well! Gotta get this fixed.
Is she on no grain? The one issue I had with no grain is it usually contained legumes instead of grain.

and the gas….let’s not go there.

But not all my dogs had the same problem.

My former dog eating a bean she stole right off the vine.

Zoey eating a bean.jpg

She gave Bramble natural whole foods, like rice, lentils, veggies, etc. I don't see how that is artificially manipulating, it's just a different diet.

I would say she was lucky. A one dog sample is not really to judge, but I note she cooked it all which allows the dog to digest it get more nutrition from it.

Do you know what IS artificial? A whole thread can be started on how most farm animals are artificially genetically manipulated to be something entirely different than what they naturally were. For example, chickens or turkeys who are bred to have such a large chest that they can barely walk. Cows artificially manipulated to create much more milk than they naturally do, which causes all sorts of painful problems and a shorter lifespan. I could go on, but it's getting off topic.

You are preaching to the choir.

I'm not saying this is you, but anyone who participates in industrialized animal agriculture shouldn't talk about what is "natural" when the animals they eat (and their pets eat) are far from natural. It's gotten so bad that it is truly diabolical.
I think for many people it’s a question of trade offs. Kibble isn’t natural, but if good quality, it fulfills their nutritional needs.

My big beef with trying to live a more holistically compassionate life is the price tag.

My dogs eat carrots, broccoli, and even salad in fact instead of those crappy and expensive dog treats I toss my dogs baby carrots for treats and they love them.

If they were pure carnivores they would not eat those things
You won’t find a cat chowing down on broccoli.

Yes Captain Obvious.

Point was cats are obligate carnivores and must have meat.
I had a cat that was obsessed with split pea soup and McDonald's french fries.
Another was obsessed with green olives.
Probably was the saltiness.
Our current cat loves popcorn with the husk removed.

Forum List

Back