Dolphins recorded chatting 'like two people'

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
It's long been known that Dolphins are very intelligent.

It turns out the language of dolphins is a whole lot more like the language of humans than we had ever realized. Although scientists have long known certain mammals use distinct sounds to express themselves, researchers at the Karadag Nature Reserve in Feodosia, Russia, have recorded for the first time dolphins using individual "words" to make "sentences" in the same way that people communicate with one another, The Telegraph reports.

Yasha and Yana, two Black Sea bottlenose dolphins, would apparently listen to a "sentence" without interrupting before adding their own reply of pulses. "Essentially, this exchange resembles a conversation between two people," lead researcher Dr. Vyacheslav Ryabov said. He went on:

Anyone who has ever had a pet knows that mammals are very smart and almost humanlike.

If that's true, why has it taken so long to figure it out?

We have know dolphins talk to each other for the better part of a century already. We have know each group has it's own language. We know they are high intelligent and emotional.

Now the possibility of merfolk traveling with them in there pods is still in question for most people. We do know that dolphins have for centuries if not millennia worked with humans to fish and protect each other.
We also know dolphins have similar sex lives as humans, even rape (and rape human swimmers).

We don't fully understand dolphin language but we can recognize some of their communication. Dolphins however can understand our language. Computers can translate some sounds and whistles but there is a lot more we don't know. Some even believe dolphins can/have learned to speak our language.

The tuna fishing industry catches a lot of dolphins inadvertently and that's how they end up in our canned tuna at the store. So most of us eat dolphin meat whether we know it or not, if we are eating canned tuna.

My cat and I share our tuna. He gets half a can and I get the other half.

He likes his straight out of the can, whereas I drain mine and add mayo and spread it on toast.

It's long been known that Dolphins are very intelligent.

It turns out the language of dolphins is a whole lot more like the language of humans than we had ever realized. Although scientists have long known certain mammals use distinct sounds to express themselves, researchers at the Karadag Nature Reserve in Feodosia, Russia, have recorded for the first time dolphins using individual "words" to make "sentences" in the same way that people communicate with one another, The Telegraph reports.

Yasha and Yana, two Black Sea bottlenose dolphins, would apparently listen to a "sentence" without interrupting before adding their own reply of pulses. "Essentially, this exchange resembles a conversation between two people," lead researcher Dr. Vyacheslav Ryabov said. He went on:
The current media circus regarding Trump and Clinton, have even them talking.

Forum List

Back