Donald Trump is turning GOP lawmakers into servants and invisible men

What purpose would it accomplish to stand in the greatest President's way? Americans choose him regardless.
Russians chose him.

Who chooses Donald Trump?
  1. Satanists choose him;
  2. Russians choose him;
  3. Murdering Saudi Princes choose him;
  4. Despots choose him;
  5. Fascists choose him;
  6. Antisemites choose him;
  7. Bigots choose him; and
  8. Male and female conservative sluts choose him.
Feel free to expand the list.

People with brains chose Trump!!!
Why do you lie in the face of convincing evidence?
Why do you post in riddles?

What purpose would it accomplish to stand in the greatest President's way? Americans choose him regardless.
Russians chose him.

1. Satanists choose him;
  2. Russians choose him;
  4. Despots choose him;
  5. Fascists choose him;

Please, quote one of my "riddles".

Russians chose him.

1. Satanists choose him;
  2. Russians choose him;
  4. Despots choose him;
  5. Fascists choose him;

"Why do you lie in the face of convincing evidence?" is a riddle, since I have no clue WTF you are claiming.

1. Satanists choose him;
  2. Russians choose him;
  4. Despots choose him;
  5. Fascists choose him;

"Why do you lie in the face of convincing evidence?" is a riddle, since I have no clue WTF you are claiming.

You lie because you are 'riddled' with Trump dogma and believe any lie Trump utters or publishes.

You lie because you are 'riddled' with Trump dogma and believe any lie Trump utters or publishes.

I'm smart enough to know when Trump is "exaggerating". Obama told the "whoppers".
Unlike Obama who said, we would "all save $2,500 a year with Obamacare".
Obama's 50 Lies / Obama Not Exactly

Donald Trump's strategy is to allow no GOP lawmaker to stand out as a recognizable and productive prospect for future POTUS candidacy.

Trump is wiping the GOP clean of politicians who could stand up to him and oppose him in the future. He has also pushed out or caused the retirement of many GOP lawmakers who no longer want to operate as his servants and errand boys.

Trump is laying waste to the GOP to create the environment for a Trump dynasty probably with Donald Jr. as the next GOP POTUS candidate in 2024, whether or not Donald Trump wins in 2020.

The GOP appears like an assembly of mindless bots programmed to do Trump's bidding.
Funny you should say that. I have a newspaper columnists article
How zombies have eaten the soul of the Republican party.

The Mercury News Feb 5 2020
By Paul Krugman The New York Times

Is this the week American democracy dies? Quite possibly.
After all, everyone in Washington understands perfectly well that Donald Trump abused the powers of his office in an attempt to rig this year’s presidential election. But Senate Republicans are nonetheless about to acquit him without even pretending to see the evidence, thereby encouraging further abuses of power. But how did we get here? Part of the answer is extreme partisanship and right-wing political correctness (which is far more virulent than anything on the left). But I also blame the zombies. A zombie idea is a belief or doctrine that’s repeatedly proven false, but refuses to die; it just keeps going, eating people’s brains. The ultimate zombie in American politics is the assertion that tax cuts pay for themselves a claim proved wrong repeatedly over the past 40 years. But other zombies, like climate change denial, also play a large role in our political discourse.
And all of the key zombies today are on the right. Indeed, they’ve taken over the Republican Party.
It wasn’t always thus. Back in 1980, George H.W. Bush called Ronald Reagan’s extravagant claims about the effectiveness of tax cuts “voodoo economic policy.” Indeed, deficits ballooned after Reagan cut taxes; they shrank, then turned into surpluses after Bill Clinton raised taxes, then ballooned again after George W. Bush’s tax cuts.
Kansas’ experiment in radical tax cuts was a dismal failure, while California’s tax hike under Jerry Brown, which conservatives declared “economic suicide,” was followed by a revenue and economic boom.
Yet voodoo economics has become unchallengeable doctrine within the Republican Party. Even fake moderates like Sen. Susan Collins justified their support for the 2017 Trump tax cut by claiming it would reduce the budget deficit. Predictably, the deficit exploded, and now exceeds $1 trillion a year.
The politics of climate change follow a similar trajectory. Global temperature keep setting records, while related catastrophes like the Australian wild fires proliferate. Yet a majority of congressional Republicans are climate deniers - many of them buying into the notion that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by a vast international scientific conspiracy. Even those who grudgingly admit global warming is real oppose any significant action to limit emissions.
The zombification of the GOP didn’t happen only with Trump’s election. Zombies have been eating Republican brains for decades. Voodoo economics had taken over the party by the early 2000s, when then-House majority leader Tom DeLay declared, “Nothing is more important in the face of war than cutting taxes.” Climate deniers have ruled since at least 2009, when only eight House Republicans supported a bill to limit greenhouse gas emissions. Recent events make clear, however, that zombie ideas haven’t eaten just Republicans’ brains they’ve eaten the party’s soul. To be a party member in good standing, a Republican politician must pledge allegiance to policy doctrines that are demonstrably false; he or she must, in effect, reject the very idea of seeing evidence. It takes a cynical careerist to play that game. There used to be Republican politicians who were more than that, but they were mainly holdovers from an earlier era and have all left the scene. John McCain may have been the last of his kind.
What’s left is a party that, as far as I can tell, contains no politicians of principle. Anyone with principles has been driven out.
Now, the news media, with its need to seem “balanced,” struggles with this; it’s always looking to portray at least some Republicans as admirable figures. This has made it easy prey for charlatans like Paul Ryan, who pretended to be serious about his fiscal principles. But he was always an obvious flimflam man.
A result of decades of zombification is a Republican caucus consisting entirely of soulless opportunists (and no, the fact that some of them like to quote Scripture doesn’t change that fact).
You might have hoped there was a limit to what these apparatchiks would accept, that even they would draw the line at gross abuses of power and collusion with foreign autocrats. What we’ve learned, however and perhaps more important, what Trump has learned is that there is no line. If Trump wants to dismantle democracy and rule of law (which he does), his party will stand with him all the way.

Paul Krugman is a New York Times columnist.

Forum List

Back