Down goes DOMA!!

Wrong. It only upholds gay marriages in 11 states that allow it.

WRONG.

11 states can not violate equal-protection under the U.S. Constitution.

They will all soon fall.

Not all of DOMA was struck down, the only part that was struck down was saying couples had to be of opposite sex. Federal benefits apply yes, but the states that do not have legal gay marriage still holds.

I'm not so sure. Kennedy's opinion specifically stated an effect of DOMA is to make healthcare for children in same sex unions more expensive than for children in male female unions, and this violates equal protection. So, if Jane and Sarah want to marry in Miss., and Jane has two kids and a job with no benefits, and Sarah has health care ..... can Miss deny them marriage? I dunno. Logically, I don't see a distinction between Miss law and DOMA in their effect upon the kid.

DOMA and Prop 8! Woo motherfucking hoo!!!!!!

Marriage in CA and Federal recognition of those marriages!!!

Tomorrow is Prop 8.

10:11
Amy Howe: Page 4 of hte Roberts dissent, talking about Prop 8: "We hold today that we lack jurisdiction to consider it in the particular context of Hollingsworth v. Perry."
10:12
Amy Howe: To be clear, the Court has not yet released the decision in Prop 8, but there is language in Windsor telegraphing that the Court will dismiss on standing.

SCOTUSblog <<Live blog

Kevin Russell: The Chief has announced that all remaining orders will be released tomorrow at 9:30.

It doesn't matter what a few leftist, corrupt Supreme's think.

The reality is that it's STILL is not marriage!!

And the reality is also that no matter what they "rule," Nature herself would never stack the deck against herself.

One other thing. By far, the most hate I have ever seen comes from the radical homosexuals.

Fact.

Suck on it.

The reality is, we are becoming the same kind of godless, soulless, nation we fought against a generation ago.

i worked and gave money to pass the provision in the Oklahoma constitution that states that marriage is between one man and one woman. Today's rulings are disappointing and violates what I hold to be the truth. I am not at all sure how it affects the states ability to define marriage.

But the Supreme Court has ruled and it is not within my perview to change how they perceive the law or how it will be applied. I certainly do understand the complexities of the situation though. As it has been pointed out many times on this forum, two people of the same sex who are in love, should be able to have a happy and healthy life together, protected by their government in that relationship. It is and always has been one of the greatest battles within me as an adult.

I do not nor have I ever wished ill to those who subscribe or are thrust into that life style. How it will effect our society, I will not predict. Know this though, this ruling does not change how I treat people nor the truths that I believe we must live by. I sincerely hope that this does not have unintended consequences which will only further corrupt us.

Tomorrow is Prop 8.

Amy Howe: Page 4 of hte Roberts dissent, talking about Prop 8: "We hold today that we lack jurisdiction to consider it in the particular context of Hollingsworth v. Perry."
Amy Howe: To be clear, the Court has not yet released the decision in Prop 8, but there is language in Windsor telegraphing that the Court will dismiss on standing.

SCOTUSblog <<Live blog

Kevin Russell: The Chief has announced that all remaining orders will be released tomorrow at 9:30.

What are you talking about? They just ruled on Prop 8. They refused to rule and sent it back down to the California

Unintended consequences: We may have an explosion of "convenience marriages" to qualify for government benefits way beyond the original intentions and presumptions of these programs.

Is your home defined as an individual protected by the Constitution?

It doesn't matter what a few leftist, corrupt Supreme's think.

The reality is that it's STILL is not marriage!!

And the reality is also that no matter what they "rule," Nature herself would never stack the deck against herself.

One other thing. By far, the most hate I have ever seen comes from the radical homosexuals.

Fact.

Suck on it.

The reality is, we are becoming the same kind of godless, soulless, nation we fought against a generation ago.

Exactly. And that's because the Dumbocrat party has been hijacked by the communists that JFK fought against. Think about their entire agenda:

Take God out of society
Take the parent out of the home
Corrupt or distort the institution of marriage
Control the media
Control the school system and indoctrinate the youth
Collapse capitalism by intentionally creating debt and over loading the system

Exactly. And that's because the Dumbocrat party has been hijacked by the communists that JFK fought against. Think about their entire agenda:

Take God out of society
Take the parent out of the home
Corrupt or distort the institution of marriage
Control the media
Control the school system and indoctrinate the youth
Collapse capitalism by intentionally creating debt and over loading the system

Sounds like Hitler's Germany.....

i worked and gave money to pass the provision in the Oklahoma constitution that states that marriage is between one man and one woman. Today's rulings are disappointing and violates what I hold to be the truth. I am not at all sure how it affects the states ability to define marriage.

But the Supreme Court has ruled and it is not within my perview to change how they perceive the law or how it will be applied. I certainly do understand the complexities of the situation though. As it has been pointed out many times on this forum, two people of the same sex who are in love, should be able to have a happy and healthy life together, protected by their government in that relationship. It is and always has been one of the greatest battles within me as an adult.

I do not nor have I ever wished ill to those who subscribe or are thrust into that life style. How it will effect our society, I will not predict. Know this though, this ruling does not change how I treat people nor the truths that I believe we must live by. I sincerely hope that this does not have unintended consequences which will only further corrupt us.

If same sex marriage is illegal in Oklahoma, it is still illegal in Oklahoma. Based on this decision, lawsuits will be filed in all those prohibiting states but as for now the laws in those states are undisturbed.

Tomorrow is Prop 8.

SCOTUSblog <<Live blog

What are you talking about? They just ruled on Prop 8. They refused to rule and sent it back down to the California

Actually, they sent it back down to the lower court....that already ruled to strike down Prop H8. It's gone.

Now does this allow the states individually to decide to accept or not accept gay marriage? BC I know NC just banned it last year...

Not exactly. I have been following this with an eye to federal tax law. DOMA was the only thing preventing the IRS from recognizing gay marriages. It will apply to EVERY STATE. The system is analogous to common law marriage; once a marriage is legally created in one state, moving to a state that does not recognize such marriages does not undo the marriage. So someone legally married in the District of Columbia to a member of the same sex does not become unmarried when they move to Virginia or North Carolina, regardless of the state laws there. I predict that same sex couples will file married joint returns from at least 49 states come April!

Wish they would just get the hell out of marriage period. This I hope is a step towards that by telling the government to take a flying leap off a cliff in trying to tell people who they can marry but I doubt it sometimes...just let people marry who they want for christ sakes.

Long past time to end government involvement in marriage. Any group or men, women or LGBT(sounds like a sandwich) should be allowed to enter into a living arrangement contract, any persons wanting marriage could then go to any church that would have them.

Two separate issues, IMO.

Unintended consequences: We may have an explosion of "convenience marriages" to qualify for government benefits way beyond the original intentions and presumptions of these programs.
Well, DUUUH!

We could have crooked business partners who are straight get "married" so they don't have to testify against one another in court.

Gonna be amusing to watch this all shake out.

Forum List

Back