Dr. Laura's "N word" Rant

Sorry, I gotta side with Dr. Schlessinger on this one even though I'm not a big fan of hers. She's absolutely right.

Then do you also agree with her when she said: "Yesterday, I did the wrong thing. I didn't intend to hurt people, but I did. And that makes it the wrong thing to have done. I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the "n" word all the way out - more than one time. And that was wrong. I'll say it again - that was wrong."

Or do you still think that she was right to say ******, and that she was wrong to say that she was wrong?

Were her initial comments right or wrong? And was her admitting that she was wrong, right or wrong?

Her initial comments were right on. Her apology is political correctness in action, or she may have been threatened with losing her radio show. Sign of the times.

Still goes back to the original comment: why is the word "******" a racial epithet when Whites say it and not when Blacks say it?

Sorry, I gotta side with Dr. Schlessinger on this one even though I'm not a big fan of hers. She's absolutely right.

Then do you also agree with her when she said: "Yesterday, I did the wrong thing. I didn't intend to hurt people, but I did. And that makes it the wrong thing to have done. I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the "n" word all the way out - more than one time. And that was wrong. I'll say it again - that was wrong."

Or do you still think that she was right to say ******, and that she was wrong to say that she was wrong?

Were her initial comments right or wrong? And was her admitting that she was wrong, right or wrong?

Her initial comments were right on. Her apology is political correctness in action, or she may have been threatened with losing her radio show. Sign of the times.

Still goes back to the original comment: why is the word "******" a racial epithet when Whites say it and not when Blacks say it?

So her second statement was wrong.

She gave into Da Man.

Let me axe you a question:

How often do you use the word ****** when speaking to other people? And if you don't use it, why not?

If you ever go to a gay bar, there's a chance you'll hear some of the people in there call each other fags. Similar concept why some blacks call each other niggas (the 'er' ending is almost never articulated unless it is meant as an insult, even from one black to another). It's about a historically-oppressed group in society taking ownership, and desensitizing, a word that has represented the oppression. It's psychological in a way, but its usage is in now way universal.

Let me axe you a question:

How often do you use the word ****** when speaking to other people? And if you don't use it, why not?

Well, if you're asking me if I would call a black person ****** as an expression of anger or hate, I'll call him a dumb son-of-a-bitch or stupid motherfucker instead. If you're asking me if I'm reluctant to use the word "******" as a point of reference, I'm not exactly reluctant, but I am well aware that even using the word "******" itself is a source of political correctness and sensitivity....for all the wrong reasons.

Some time ago, a city council member used the word "niggardly" when speaking about the city budget. The word is synonymous with stingy or miserly. But it drew so much controversy that he was actually fired from his job over it. He was later offered it back once the city council got its head out of its collective ass and realized that the term had nothing to do with race and everything to do with budget. Still, the damage was done, and it's a reflection of how overly sensitive we are as a society over this word. We're so damn afraid to use the term even in the most oblique of references because we're afraid of being branded as racists.

How does this measure up against the Constitution? I'd say it's the first step towards censorship. Not saying that we're there or even that we're going there. Just saying that this one little word is so hyper-sensitive that I wouldn't be surprised if it went in that direction.

[...]

It goes beyond posting style.

Both Steph-Infection and Willow-Creep, are upset that blacks call themselves '******' but they, Willow and Steph, cannot. The inescapable conclusion is that Steph and Willow want to be able to call blacks '******'

this is what they are arguing -- the white right to call blacks '*******' :cuckoo:
You've reached a presumptuous conclusion here.

There is a significant difference between simply pronouncing the word ****** and calling someone a ******. In the example of the topic controversy, Dr. Laura did not call anyone a ******. She merely used the word in an academic context for the purpose of expressing an opinion.

If someone calls you a ****** you have cause to be offended. But if someone uses that word in a context which has nothing to do with you, on what basis do you presume the right to censor that person's vocabulary?

[...]

Ah, see in the Willowtree world, racism will end when it becomes permissible for white people to call blacks *******, and blacks don't complain about it.

[...]
Please point to where in this thread someone has suggested that Blacks have no cause to complain about being called *******.

If you see no difference between someone calling you a ****** and someone using that word in a context which has nothing to do with you personally, please explain your reasoning.

She gave into Da Man.

I think so.

Hearing the radio program excerpt, it seems to me that she was making a point that had nothing to do with being insensitive or insulting. She was trying to argue with the caller why we have such double-standards when it comes to the word "******."

When she turned around and apologized for it, it's very clear to me that she caved in by admitting that the term was insensitive and that she was wrong for saying it.

Now, if Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Jaime Foxx or any other angry black comedians were to offer similar apologies for unintended offense someone somewhere may have taken to their use of the word "******," then Schlessinger's apology would make sense. However, what we have here is a White woman being pressured into issuing this apology because when she said the word "******" it was racist. Had Oprah said it, there would be no pressure for an apology.

That's the double standard we tolerate today.

Dr. Laura is nothing but a nappy headed ho.

true story :thup:

Nappyheadedho.jpg

apologize.

Damn, and she is a Dr. !!! Proves education does not make you rational or insightful.

What person likes others talking about them or assessing them based on freckles or red hair. I come up to you and I say, 'how are things short person? How do you see over the steering wheel?' Simple example but extend it to any characteristic, particularly those that involve negatives. Judgement based on the fact Midcan5 is a super person though is much appreciated but completely deserved.

[...]
If I am a short person and someone calls me Shorty, I have cause to be offended.

But if I am a short person and I overhear someone ask how short people can see over a steering wheel, or say that short people's asses are too close to the ground, that person is expressing his or her opinion and is not addressing me directly. Do you feel I have a right to demand that person censor his or her speech to accommodate my sensitivities?

[...]

The point is that if oppressed people joke about their oppression as a way to deal with it...it is acceptable. If the oppressor joins in ...it is not acceptable
Are you saying that contemporary Black people generally regard contemporary White people as oppressors?

I am White. If you are Black, do you think of me as oppressing you? If so, please explain.

[...]

Both Steph-Infection and Willow-Creep, are upset that blacks call themselves '******' but they, Willow and Steph, cannot. The inescapable conclusion is that Steph and Willow want to be able to call blacks '******'

this is what they are arguing -- the white right to call blacks '*******' :cuckoo:

There is a significant difference between simply pronouncing the word ****** and calling someone a ******. In the example of the topic controversy, Dr. Laura did not call anyone a ******. She merely used the word in an academic context for the purpose of expressing an opinion.

If someone calls you a ****** you have cause to be offended. But if someone uses that word in a context which has nothing to do with you, on what basis do you presume the right to censor that person's vocabulary?

Don't expect the majority of posters here to understand that concept. Or agree with it.

[...]

Same with the word "****". If you don't direct it at someone, then it is perfectly fine to say it. No one can be offended by it.

She gave into Da Man.

I think so.

Hearing the radio program excerpt, it seems to me that she was making a point that had nothing to do with being insensitive or insulting. She was trying to argue with the caller why we have such double-standards when it comes to the word "******."

When she turned around and apologized for it, it's very clear to me that she caved in by admitting that the term was insensitive and that she was wrong for saying it.

Now, if Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Jaime Foxx or any other angry black comedians were to offer similar apologies for unintended offense someone somewhere may have taken to their use of the word "******," then Schlessinger's apology would make sense. However, what we have here is a White woman being pressured into issuing this apology because when she said the word "******" it was racist. Had Oprah said it, there would be no pressure for an apology.

That's the double standard we tolerate today.

Why did Quentin Tarantino not apologize for using the term ****** extensively in Pulp Fiction? Or John Travolta in the same movie?

And I don't think that Oprah would have used the term in the first place...and likely would apologize if she said it. There is a time and place for it do be used.

In standup comedy: yes. In movies: yes. On primetime TV: no. On talk radio: no. One must gauge their audience. Dr. Laura did not.

There are a lot of things said in the media that would be considered rude or insensitive in the past. This 'rant' doesn't seem that far out of line considering the coarseness of today's society. Besides, didn't Holder call everbody cowards for not discussing racial issues? Surely this double standard is worth acknowledging even if some people's sensibilities are affronted.

BTW, I'm not black and the "N word" upsets me terribly. Yes, I think Chris Rock is hilarious. But IRL, socially? I cannot -- cannot -- abide to hear that word from anyone.

I think this is partially an age thingy. And mebbe it isn't all bad, if some people can feel comfy saying the word or hearing it. But for me, it brings back too many horrible memories, and I never, ever wanna have it spoken in my presence.

But no worries. After our sense of what is socially acceptable is buried with all us old farts, you guys can use all the racial epithets you like and call it "hip". Mebbe yours will be a better world...who knows?
Dear Madeline,

"That word" is an endemic component of the American lexicon and is not likely to be excised from the dictionaries because a percentage of the population think it should.

I respectfully suggest to you that a word is either a sound or one or more intelligibly inscribed characters and nothing more. It is the thought that invokes the word which defines its nature and its intent. To cringe at the sound or sight of a word without fully comprehending its intent is so lacking in reason as to be nearly primitive.

By the way, I've checked your D.O.B. Compared with mine you are hardly worthy of being called an "old fart."

Context is everything. Isn't it always?

I'd agree a word probably shouldn't have that much power. But it does. Telling people who are bothered by it to shut up and grow a sense of humor (yes, I know those aren't her exact words) isn't the answer.
What is the answer?

What kind of country do we live in?

The kind where there are way too many people like you are too stupid to figure out why it's wrong for a white person to call a black person a ******.
I'm recalling an incident in which a White high school student who often heard Black students address each other as, "My nigga," naively used those same words to greet a Black classmate whom he liked and had been friendly with. Not only did the Black student react angrily to the ill-advised greeting, a group of Blacks jumped that White kid after school and gave him a severe beating. When asked about the motive for the attack the answer was, "He called ____________ a ******."

Is that response true or not true?

Forum List

Back