Duck Lienasty #1 - Phil Robertson was a great QB, offered an NFL contract.

Bear Bryant had no eye for talent either:

"I remember he was quite a good quarterback. He had a great arm. The thing I remember about him is we went over and played Alabama. Bear Bryant was the coach, and of course Alabama beat us that day (34-0 in 1966). But I remember the next day in the paper Bryant said, “That young man over there on the Tech sideline, that quarterback, he has one heck of an arm. He’s a great prospect. He’s one of the best prospects I’ve seen.” And Bear Bryant’s quarterback was “Snake” Stabler."

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson could have been an NFL QB, according to old teammates | NFL | San Francisco 49ers | Pittsburgh Steelers

Right. One of LATechs lineman quoting Bryant in an unsourced publication.

I'm sure Bear Bryant was thoroughly impressed with a quarterback he just beat 34 to nothing.

NFL material right there...

He played for La. Tech

You really now nothing about College football do you?

"I remember he was quite a good quarterback. He had a great arm. The thing I remember about him is we went over and played Alabama. Bear Bryant was the coach, and of course Alabama beat us that day (34-0 in 1966). But I remember the next day in the paper Bryant said, “That young man over there on the Tech sideline, that quarterback, he has one heck of an arm. He’s a great prospect. He’s one of the best prospects I’ve seen.” And Bear Bryant’s quarterback was “Snake” Stabler."

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson could have been an NFL QB, according to old teammates | NFL | San Francisco 49ers | Pittsburgh Steelers

I'm sure Bear Bryant was thoroughly impressed with a quarterback he just beat 34 to nothing.

And the teammates a liar also

Maybe this thread needs to be moved to the conspiracy section

You've all heard the PR meme, Phil Robertson was an All State QB who kept Terry Bradshaw on the bench and turned down a contract to play in the NFL.

But it's all a lie.

I've researched Louisiana All State recipients and Big Daddy Phil is no where to be found. But let's move on to his college years.

Phil was the starting QB for LATech in '66 and '67. In his entire college career he led the team to a stunning 4-16 record. He completed 179 of 411 passes for a total of 2237 yards. He had 12 touchdowns and 34 interceptions.

In '68 the coaches decided to go with the high school phenom, Terry Bradshaw who was two years behind Phil. Phil quit football and didn't play his senior year.

An alum of LAT arranged a walk on for Phil with the Redskins. If he made the team, he got a contract. But Phil was going up against the established QB, Sonny Jurgenson, who just came off a record breaking season. On top of that he would be competing with another young upstart, Joe Theismann. Can't figure out why Phil just said "no mas".

Big Daddy never kept Bradshaw on the bench...Terry was two years younger. When they shit canned Phil Bradshaw went 9-1 the next season. Of course, we all know the rest of that history. I'm not a fan of the Steelers, but I love Bradshaw. Seriously, who doesn't?

So this PR meme about Phil beingan all state QB and college standout who kept Bradshaw on the bench and turned down a contract to play in the NFL is all baloney.

Just like the rest of the whole Duck Lienasty meme.

Handsome hunk....:thup:

Last edited:
You've all heard the PR meme, Phil Robertson was an All State QB who kept Terry Bradshaw on the bench and turned down a contract to play in the NFL.

But it's all a lie.

I've researched Louisiana All State recipients and Big Daddy Phil is no where to be found. But let's move on to his college years.

Phil was the starting QB for LATech in '66 and '67. In his entire college career he led the team to a stunning 4-16 record. He completed 179 of 411 passes for a total of 2237 yards. He had 12 touchdowns and 34 interceptions.

In '68 the coaches decided to go with the high school phenom, Terry Bradshaw who was two years behind Phil. Phil quit football and didn't play his senior year.

An alum of LAT arranged a walk on for Phil with the Redskins. If he made the team, he got a contract. But Phil was going up against the established QB, Sonny Jurgenson, who just came off a record breaking season. On top of that he would be competing with another young upstart, Joe Theismann. Can't figure out why Phil just said "no mas".

Big Daddy never kept Bradshaw on the bench...Terry was two years younger. When they shit canned Phil Bradshaw went 9-1 the next season. Of course, we all know the rest of that history. I'm not a fan of the Steelers, but I love Bradshaw. Seriously, who doesn't?

So this PR meme about Phil beingan all state QB and college standout who kept Bradshaw on the bench and turned down a contract to play in the NFL is all baloney.

Top QB's of that era

Jim Plunckett
Archie Manning
Joe Thiesman
Kenny Stabler

A starting quarterback in those days better be tougher than nails

Teams ran the wishbone and power I

La Tech was smack in between the Southeast, southwest and Big Eight conferences, without the resources of those schools. Winning there was a bitch.

But it's all a lie.

Top QB's of that era

Jim Plunckett
Archie Manning
Joe Thiesman
Kenny Stabler

La Tech was smack in between the Southeast, southwest and Big Eight conferences, without the resources of those schools. Winning there was a bitch.

When you learn how to spell their names correctly, get back to me.

But it's all a lie.

If only you were 14 again you could give Kay a run for her moonies...

Agreed. Throwing 3 times as many interceptions as touchdowns, I can't explain why an NFL team didn't snap him up like a Bradshaw...

But it's all a lie.

If only you were 14 again you could give Kay a run for her moonies...

HA! That would be Miss Kay....:lol:

Weird how this post gets moved to TV Forum while the Duck Dynasty School Prayer Thread remains in Current Events...

Just wonderin'...

Top QB's of that era

Jim Plunckett
Archie Manning
Joe Thiesman
Kenny Stabler

Common sense fails you huh? How did Bradshaw fair against the Mighty Alabama?

Top QB's of that era

Jim Plunckett
Archie Manning
Joe Thiesman
Kenny Stabler

I don't know, but he did go 17-4 in the following 2 seasons after bonehead Robinson went 3-17. In Bradshaws first season he had more passing yardage then Big Daddy did in three.

Agreed. Throwing 3 times as many interceptions as touchdowns, I can't explain why an NFL team didn't snap him up like a Bradshaw...

In 1966 Alabama had what Bear Bryant said was his best team ever. The Tide went 11-0 that year and ended the year behind ND and MSU in the polls although many thought the Tide should have been the National Champions that year with both an outstanding offense and defense. Alabama demolished Nebraska (the Big Eight Champions) in the Sugar Bowl.

What happens when a small school with little depth plays a powerhouse team, one of Alabama's best early in the season?

What little depth the little school had gets injured.

Interceptions happen many times when the offensive line can't hold up because of injury.

After playing that Bama team early, there was likely many injuries on La Tech that lasted the entire season.

They lost to Bear Bryant Greatest team by only 34-0. Absolutely no shame in that.

Nebraska, the Big Eight Champions, who's only loss that year was a one point loss to Oklahoma, lost to Bama 34-7 in that years Sugar Bowl. I'd say La. Tech did great against a great Bama team.

And who was the Quarterback?

I don't know, but he did go 17-4 in the following 2 seasons after bonehead Robinson went 3-17. In Bradshaws first season he had more passing yardage then Big Daddy did in three.

They didn't play Bama in 1968. Bama was dropped and the Big School that La Tech played that year was Mississippi State. Now true, Mississippi State has had some fine teams, bu this was NOT one of them. Mississippi State had a record of 0-8-2

The 1969 Mississippi State team played no top tier teams.

Suppose the competition might have had a weeeee bit to do with the record?

In 1966 Alabama had what Bear Bryant said was his best team ever. The Tide went 11-0 that year and ended the year behind ND and MSU in the polls although many thought the Tide should have been the National Champions that year with both an outstanding offense and defense. Alabama demolished Nebraska (the Big Eight Champions) in the Sugar Bowl.

What happens when a small school with little depth plays a powerhouse team, one of Alabama's best early in the season?

Interceptions happen many times when the offensive line can't hold up because of injury.

After playing that Bama team early, there was likely many injuries on La Tech that lasted the entire season.

They lost to Bear Bryant Greatest team by only 34-0. Absolutely no shame in that.

Nebraska, the Big Eight Champions, who's only loss that year was a one point loss to Oklahoma, lost to Bama 34-7 in that years Sugar Bowl. I'd say La. Tech did great against a great Bama team.

For gods sake, Robertson went 1-9 that year, was out scored 83 to 195 and only scored 7 points in his first three games.

So Bryant went easy on them, that's a testament to his sportsmanship not Robinsons skill.

For gods sake, Robertson went 1-9 that year, was out scored 83 to 195 and only scored 7 points in his first three games.

So Bryant went easy on them, that's a testament to his sportsmanship not Robinsons skill.

It was his first year, give the guy a break. In those days style points counted. I doubt Bryant took it easy on anyone.

It was his first year, give the guy a break. In those days style points counted. I doubt Bryant took it easy on anyone.

It was his second year.

It was his second year.

You wrote:

La Tech played Alabama in 1966. Read what you wrote for Christ sakes. 1966 was the first year he started.

You also show that Phil's average yards per completion was 12.4 yards per completion. Compare that to Kenny Stabler's average of 7.2 at Alabama. Not bad

Last edited:

But it's all a lie.

^^^^^^has never played football in his life, throws like obama, darla can kick his ass

alfalfa.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back