Due north is not really due north

Compasses are very inaccurate due to the earths massive tilt
You are not really going north
You’re going more NW

The compass that points N is actually pointing to the South Pole?? You’re going N but the pole is misnamed
They need to rename the Poles to match the compass

True North is based on the pole. Magnetic North shifts because it is based on and effected by the iron molten core of the Earth.

True North can be determined by the constellations, where Magnetic North cannot.
Earth' core is solid Iron due to pressure.

True North is based on the pole. Magnetic North shifts because it is based on and effected by the iron molten core of the Earth.

True North can be determined by the constellations, where Magnetic North cannot.

It is an interesting fact that however things shook out as the Solar System was forming, in relation to the rest of the galaxy, that we wound up with the Earth's rotational north pole pointing almost exactly at a prominent, easily-located star. It makes it very easy for anyone very far into the northern hemisphere, on a clear night, to determine true north.

Last edited:

It is an interesting fact that however things shook out as the Solar System was forging, in relation to the rest of the galaxy, that we wound up with the Earth's rotational north pole pointing almost exactly at a prominent, easily-located star. It makes it very easy for anyone very far into the northern hemisphere, on a clear night, to determine true north.
The Hubble Space Telescope discovered a gaggle (not Googol) of Quasars all pointed in the same direction. The Webb Space Telescope is ten times bigger but NASA can't get it off the ground.

Last edited:
You’re going more NW

The compass that points N is actually pointing to the South Pole?? You’re going N but the pole is misnamed

I didn't go to Ranger school in the Army, so I never learned much about compasses. That's why they made the GPS, for dummies like me.
You didn't need to go to Ranger school to learn how to use a compass it was part of basic training.

They covered it rudimentarily. Those who went to get an 11B20 Infantry MOS and especially those who went for Airborne training and Ranger school got far more schooling in the use of a compass and a map.

How do I know that? My MOS was 13E20, or Fire Direction Control in the 2/10 Field Artillery Battalion at Ft. Benning. My Bn trained the Airborne Rangers in the use of calling in artillery strikes, so they had to know their compass.
Ah, a technical bush beater, killer...
It’s called the “ Jew Scouts “ where I grew up
Not as hard as the boys scouts

Many don’t know this !!
I am just sharing my HS Science knowledge and it helps me to remember
It's very painful.

edit...My compass

327016353_50425acd-42e0-4787-9dc8-939d67d0e7a7.jpg

Last edited:

It is an interesting fact that however things shook out as the Solar System was forming, in relation to the rest of the galaxy, that we wound up with the Earth's rotational north pole pointing almost exactly at a prominent, easily-located star. It makes it very easy for anyone very far into the northern hemisphere, on a clear night, to determine true north.
Not so cool if you’re on the South hemisphere

The compass pole which is attracted to the Earth's north pole is obviously of the opposite polarity to it, but you're still going to call it north if it points north on a map.
You are going reskky
The compass pole which is attracted to the Earth's north pole is obviously of the opposite polarity to it, but you're still going to call it north if it points north on a map.
You actually would be going NW due to the earths tilt

Only way is due north is if you’re on the exact same longitude lines to the earths geographic pole

You are going reskky
You actually would be going NW due to the earths tilt

The tilt of the Earth on it's axis has nothing to do with it. Since the bearings are relative to the Earth.

Just as interesting I suppose as the fact in the southern hemisphere the prominent Southern Cross constellation and its Pointers can be used as a reference for determining true south.

You’re going more NW

I didn't go to Ranger school in the Army, so I never learned much about compasses. That's why they made the GPS, for dummies like me.
You didn't need to go to Ranger school to learn how to use a compass it was part of basic training.

They covered it rudimentarily. Those who went to get an 11B20 Infantry MOS and especially those who went for Airborne training and Ranger school got far more schooling in the use of a compass and a map.

How do I know that? My MOS was 13E20, or Fire Direction Control in the 2/10 Field Artillery Battalion at Ft. Benning. My Bn trained the Airborne Rangers in the use of calling in artillery strikes, so they had to know their compass.
You might like a nice vacation to Israel ??

You’re going more NW

You might like a nice vacation to Israel ??
Never been to Israel nor the Middle East and refuse to go to Europe. Lafitte, I have not returned.

Last edited:
You’re going more NW

They will do that right after you take your pills

Forum List

Back