Duke To Rename Building Once Named After Notorious Racist

Duke University changing name of building dedicated to notorious racist

So Duke is taking down the name of a notorious white supremacist from a building following the recommendations of a committee of students and staff. The racist in question is Julian Carr, a prominent industrialist in the tobacco and textile manufacturing business who donated to Duke University and gifted land to set up the Durham Public Library.

All he did that was considered wrong was be a white supremacist, which back then was fairly common -- sure he advocated lynching black people and talked about how he “horse-whipped” a black woman “until her skirts hung in shreds” after she allegedly insulted a “Southern lady.” -- that was all very normal back in those times....

Do you feel Duke university will be hurt by this move and fewer parents would want to send their kids there now since they have decided to remove this man's name?

Having that. man's name on a building hurts Duke University.

Removing it is the right thing to do.

So Duke is taking down the name of a notorious white supremacist from a building following the recommendations of a committee of students and staff. The racist in question is Julian Carr, a prominent industrialist in the tobacco and textile manufacturing business who donated to Duke University and gifted land to set up the Durham Public Library.

All he did that was considered wrong was be a white supremacist, which back then was fairly common -- sure he advocated lynching black people and talked about how he “horse-whipped” a black woman “until her skirts hung in shreds” after she allegedly insulted a “Southern lady.” -- that was all very normal back in those times....

Do you feel Duke university will be hurt by this move and fewer parents would want to send their kids there now since they have decided to remove this man's name?

His name hurts no such thing. Every human being that lived prior to the age of wokeness was a supremacist of some kind.

This makes as much sense as fireing Robert E. Lee, the Chinese guy because of white supremacy

At a minimum, Duke should reimburse his family for the donation.

Wow, the authority people do realize that changing the school's name will not make whatever else the school may need just magically appear, right?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

^^^ So what if the place was named after a questionable person? Those who go there now in my opinion is what should make all of the real difference. Where is it written that they have to be like that person?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Roger near the end of Lethal Weapon 2: What I hold here, I could put all three of my kids through college, but its drug money.

Riggs's response in return: So what? Do something good with it!

I’m surprised regressives aren’t demanding the name of Duke University itself to be changed because it reminds them of David Duke.

Those who go there now in my opinion is what should make all of the real difference.
All the more reason, then, for you not to care about the name change.
All the more reason for them to not care either, especially when they do not plan in staying there in the first place anyway. Its a school, not a house address.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

All the more reason for them to not care either
But they are the ones going there. And the ones who get to care. This has the support of the students. You may care more about the peole there than the name, and I am sure they do, too. But that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't care about the tributes paid by the buildings where they go on campus. I want you to put yourself in the same position. Personally, I would speak up, if our local library was the "grand wizard" library, or the "Herman Goebbels" library.

His name hurts no such thing. Every human being that lived prior to the age of wokeness was a supremacist of some kind.

This makes as much sense as fireing Robert E. Lee, the Chinese guy because of white supremacy

You're trying to excuse a man for beating a woman so badly her clothes were shreds.

You actually think that's ok? You actually think that everyone did that?

You are one sick person.

I'm surprised your mother never taught you that pointing fingers at others doesn't absolve you or anyone of their horrible actions. Two wrongs don't make a right and for you to use such a childish excuse for such barbaric behavior is really disgusting.

I sure hope you don't treat women that way. If you do, you belong in prison for your crimes.

Wait and let me process this and rate this on my if I give a damn scale?

Nope, do not give a damn.

Let Duke do whatever they want.

You're trying to excuse a man for beating a woman so badly her clothes were shreds.

You actually think that's ok? You actually think that everyone did that?

You are one sick person.

I'm surprised your mother never taught you that pointing fingers at others doesn't absolve you or anyone of their horrible actions. Two wrongs don't make a right and for you to use such a childish excuse for such barbaric behavior is really disgusting.

I sure hope you don't treat women that way. If you do, you belong in prison for your crimes.
I'm still awaiting arrest!

My clever disguise as a woman must be protecting me.

This will surely hurt the feelings of oppressed white men all over the country. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back