Duke To Rename Building Once Named After Notorious Racist

Duke University changing name of building dedicated to notorious racist

So Duke is taking down the name of a notorious white supremacist from a building following the recommendations of a committee of students and staff. The racist in question is Julian Carr, a prominent industrialist in the tobacco and textile manufacturing business who donated to Duke University and gifted land to set up the Durham Public Library.

All he did that was considered wrong was be a white supremacist, which back then was fairly common -- sure he advocated lynching black people and talked about how he “horse-whipped” a black woman “until her skirts hung in shreds” after she allegedly insulted a “Southern lady.” -- that was all very normal back in those times....

Do you feel Duke university will be hurt by this move and fewer parents would want to send their kids there now since they have decided to remove this man's name?
So the family should sue to get the land and whatever is built on it back,tit for tat. I would never want my children to attend a school like Duke or NC or Stanford or Cal anyways..prefer a conservative or religious university with some common sense.

So Duke is taking down the name of a notorious white supremacist from a building following the recommendations of a committee of students and staff. The racist in question is Julian Carr, a prominent industrialist in the tobacco and textile manufacturing business who donated to Duke University and gifted land to set up the Durham Public Library.

All he did that was considered wrong was be a white supremacist, which back then was fairly common -- sure he advocated lynching black people and talked about how he “horse-whipped” a black woman “until her skirts hung in shreds” after she allegedly insulted a “Southern lady.” -- that was all very normal back in those times....

Do you feel Duke university will be hurt by this move and fewer parents would want to send their kids there now since they have decided to remove this man's name?
No

Horse whipping a black woman for being disrespectful and bragging about it is inhuman and was not common
Should have known her place.

So the family should sue to get the land and whatever is built on it back,tit for tat. I would never want my children to attend a school like Duke or NC or Stanford or Cal anyways..prefer a conservative or religious university with some common sense.
I don't think you understand how donations work....

No

Horse whipping a black woman for being disrespectful and bragging about it is inhuman and was not common
Should have known her place.
He should have been euthanized to keep the other animals from becoming infected.

Huge surprise.

Huge surprise.
That I want my kids to get an education not an indoctrination I am sure it is to leftists.

Forum List

Back