"Dune," sardaurkar......the clip from the movie....did the director ever play Warhammer 40K....they look like a Chapter of Imperial Marines...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Saw this clip....I haven't seen the movie yet....

Anyone familiar with the game Warhammer 40K.....Imperial Marines....?

Warhammer borrows heavily from Dune. Dune was written in 1964.

Star Wars borrows heavily from Dune.

But I'm not done. Dune borrows heavily from "Lawrence of Arabia"

lol

They do all of their fighting with knives and swords.
More like Ninjas than Imperial or Colonial Marines.

What I meant was the look, and the religious aspect.........the armor and the overall look reminded me of the Warhammer Marines.......

This could lead to a Warhammer 40K movie if they haven't already got one in the pipeline...

Warhammer borrows heavily from Dune. Dune was written in 1964.

Star Wars borrows heavily from Dune.

But I'm not done. Dune borrows heavily from "Lawrence of Arabia"

lol
Only the Desert.
I don't remember Lawrence of Arabia hiding under the sand and wearing Stillsuits.
The word "Stillsuit" comes from the type of purification technology in the suit that creates clean drinking water.

Only the Desert.
I don't remember Lawrence of Arabia hiding under the sand and wearing Stillsuits.
The word "Stillsuit" comes from the type of purification technology in the suit that creates clean drinking water.

Spice == oil
Fremen == Saudis
British colonialism

I could go on and on. Herbert said as much.

Spice == oil
Fremen == Saudis
British colonialism

I could go on and on. Herbert said as much.
Arabs....not Saudis. King Faisal was born in Mecca under the Ottoman Empire...lived in Istanbul in his early years and became king of Syria and Iraq. The primary Arab nation was the Ottoman/Turkish Empire....and later became Saudi Arabia after the rebellion.

Arabs....not Saudis. King Faisal was born in Mecca under the Ottoman Empire...lived in Istanbul in his early years and became king of Syria and Iraq. The primary Arab nation was the Ottoman/Turkish Empire....and later became Saudi Arabia after the rebellion.

The books even call them Saudis. Or descendants of.

More to do with the personal shielding. High velocity projectile weapons would become useless.
"Only the slow blade penetrates the shield".

The books even call them Saudis. Or descendants of.
You're probably mistaken. During the time of T.E. Lawrence they weren't called Saudis.....they were called Arabs.
I personally haven't made it all the way thru Dune because I found it boring as fuck.

Brian Herbert, Frank Herbert's son, once called the Dune universe a "spiritual melting pot" in which "religious beliefs have combined." The religion in the novel, Brain Herbert wrote, includes elements from Buddhism, Sufi mysticism, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Catholicism and Protestantism.

"Dad drew on a variety of religious influences, without adhering to any one of them," Brian Herbert wrote.

The movie mirrors that syncretism. Some believe Paul is the "messiah" or "the one" – the boy who will save his people. Characters discuss a belief in "the way." In one scene, we see a group of people – their faces partially covered – reading small books of a sacred text and holding beads. We hear the phrases "God willing" and "God in heaven."

Paul's mother tells him her people have been crossing bloodlines to create a "mind powerful enough to bridge space and time, past and future." That person is Paul.

Dune is a science fiction movie, but it also is a religious film.

More to do with the personal shielding. High velocity projectile weapons would become useless.
"Only the slow blade penetrates the shield".
I thought is was hilarious the way they had them walk to avoid attracting Sandworms......you'll never get anywhere doing that.

Well . . . Dune the literature does precede the Warhammer 40k franchise by about twenty years. I honestly can't remember how Herbert described them in his books. Interesting comparison nonetheless.

Well . . . Dune the literature does precede the Warhammer 40k franchise by about twenty years. I honestly can't remember how Herbert described them in his books. Interesting comparison nonetheless.

I was simply thinking of the scene in the movie......it reminded me of the Imperial Marines

Forum List

Back