E Jean Carroll Case discussed

How to Choose a Jury of Trump’s Peers

A federal judge probed the backgrounds and political biases of dozens of New Yorkers, searching for nine people to serve as jurors for E. Jean Carroll’s rape lawsuit against the former President.
By Eric LachApril 26, 2023

... For the next hour, [Judge] Kaplan read from a list of questions that he’d prepared in consultation with the lawyers from both sides of the lawsuit. He asked the jurors to indicate their answers by either raising their hands or standing. Question: Was there anything about the nature of the case or the parties that would make it difficult for them to be impartial and fair to both sides? Anything at all? The reporters in the gallery shook their heads. Who could be impartial here? But only nine of the forty-eight indicated that they’d have a problem. Those nine were immediately excused from the courtroom.

Did any of them know Carroll personally? No one did. Did any of them know Trump personally? No one did. Had any of them personally had any “dealings” with Trump or his company? No one did. Did any of them know anyone else who’d had any “dealings” with Trump or his company? A voice spoke up. “Your honor—possibly,” a man near the back of the courtroom said. It was Juror No. 23. “A client of mine is an attorney for the defendant in some other cases,” he said. Kaplan asked Juror No. 23 for his occupation. “I’m a literary agent,” ...

How to Choose a Jury of Trumpâs Peers

So all those black people got fair trials down south before the 60's, and all those white guys who got off due to trials at the same time were really innocent?

And that was with beyond a reasonable doubt as the Standard.

in a CIVIL lawsuit, it is the preponderance of the evidence that donny exhibited in real time - in front of the jury ... that sank him way past the $10,000,000.00

he simply can't control himself, because he is a petulant child.

syphilitic brain syndrome will do that.
The jury had to make a decision as to who was telling the truth.
Then decide whether Trumps rants constituted defamation

Trump made it easy

1706661319528.png

They did to a jury of American citizens who heard the evidence.
Everybody knows that. How often are the verdicts of Juries overturned?

Our monthly one-question survey emailed to NJC alumni in June asked trial judges, “About how often do you disagree with the jury’s verdict?”

The choices were:

• Less than 25 percent of the time
  • 26 to 50 percent of the time
  • 51 to 75 percent of the time
  • More than 75 percent of the time

Top choice

Eighty-two percent of the 446 judges who responded said they disagree less than 25 percent of the time. The majority who left comments said the jury usually gets it right, and it is not a judge’s job to second guess their decision.

Wrote one judge (anonymously, as was most often the case with the comments): “When you hear the voice of a dozen people speak in unison, it is rare that they get it wrong.”

Wrote another: “I have rarely disagreed with civil or criminal juries. And I will never tell a jury that I disagree for two reasons: First, it is breach of ethics. Second, and perhaps more important, as the presiding judge, I have more to think about during the trial than the jurors, and I could easily miss a salient fact.”

Disagreeing 25 to 50 percent of the time

Sixty-two judges said they disagree 25 to 50 percent of the time. Most said that sometimes a jury’s lack of knowledge of legal terms or their being unaware of certain evidence that was withheld results in the jury ruling differently than the more fully informed judge would.

One judge explained that he or she may disagree with the jury’s verdict but can’t rule any differently if that disagreement stemmed from facts not in evidence.

Everybody knows that. How often are the verdicts of Juries overturned?

Our monthly one-question survey emailed to NJC alumni in June asked trial judges, “About how often do you disagree with the jury’s verdict?”

The choices were:

• Less than 25 percent of the time
  • 26 to 50 percent of the time
  • 51 to 75 percent of the time
  • More than 75 percent of the time

Top choice

Eighty-two percent of the 446 judges who responded said they disagree less than 25 percent of the time. The majority who left comments said the jury usually gets it right, and it is not a judge’s job to second guess their decision.

Wrote one judge (anonymously, as was most often the case with the comments): “When you hear the voice of a dozen people speak in unison, it is rare that they get it wrong.”

Wrote another: “I have rarely disagreed with civil or criminal juries. And I will never tell a jury that I disagree for two reasons: First, it is breach of ethics. Second, and perhaps more important, as the presiding judge, I have more to think about during the trial than the jurors, and I could easily miss a salient fact.”

Disagreeing 25 to 50 percent of the time

Sixty-two judges said they disagree 25 to 50 percent of the time. Most said that sometimes a jury’s lack of knowledge of legal terms or their being unaware of certain evidence that was withheld results in the jury ruling differently than the more fully informed judge would.

One judge explained that he or she may disagree with the jury’s verdict but can’t rule any differently if that disagreement stemmed from facts not in evidence.

Nice.

but

Not a legal defense of Trump. Trump was found liable for sexual abuse and defamation by a jury of American citizens. He had his day in court.

Forum List

Back