Federal Judge Reject Donald Trump's Bid For New E. Jean Carroll Defamation Trial, Upholds $83M Judgement.

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2022
My Happyi Place
A federal judge in New York on Thursday rejected former President Donald Trump's bid for a new trial in a defamation case brought by writer E. Jean Carroll. The ruling upheld the jury's $83.3 million damage award.

"Contrary to the defendant's arguments, Ms. Carroll's compensatory damages were not awarded solely for her emotional distress; they were not for garden variety harms; and they were not excessive," Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote.

"Mr. Trump's malicious and unceasing attacks on Ms. Carroll were disseminated to more than 100 million people," he added.

"Mr. Trump's malicious and unceasing attacks on Ms. Carroll were disseminated to more than 100 million people," he added. "They included public threats and personal attacks, and they endangered Ms. Carroll's health and safety."

A federal judge in New York on Thursday rejected former President Donald Trump's bid for a new trial in a defamation case brought by writer E. Jean Carroll. The ruling upheld the jury's $83.3 million damage award.

"Contrary to the defendant's arguments, Ms. Carroll's compensatory damages were not awarded solely for her emotional distress; they were not for garden variety harms; and they were not excessive," Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote.

"Mr. Trump's malicious and unceasing attacks on Ms. Carroll were disseminated to more than 100 million people," he added.

"Mr. Trump's malicious and unceasing attacks on Ms. Carroll were disseminated to more than 100 million people," he added. "They included public threats and personal attacks, and they endangered Ms. Carroll's health and safety."

So the Clinton appointed judge that held the trial in the first place refused to overturn a jury verdict for the trial he presided over.

Your title is misleading, just as the news titles are. It implies a rejected appeal when this was not an appeal at all.

So the Clinton appointed judge that held the trial in the first place refused to overturn a jury verdict for the trial he presided over.

Your title is misleading, just as the news titles are. It implies a rejected appeal when this was not an appeal at all.
Marty, I thought the same, noting the titles.
As to why it required a ruling at all, it never hurts to try, even if already ruled on, though it was stupid to try there, versus in a court of appeals.

IF Trump is losing momentum to Biden, then look to the Scotus on breaking ranks.

The Scotus can't go against the quasi-legal/political grain unless they have sure political backing of the majority!

Currently they're facing the abortion test and that hinges crucially on political popularity of one party or the other.

It's still too uncertain to make any safe prediction. Other than to predict that what happens now is going to tell us what happens in America in 6 months.

Marty, I thought the same, noting the titles.
As to why it required a ruling at all, it never hurts to try, even if already ruled on, though it was stupid to try there, versus in a court of appeals.

Standard request by attorneys to set aside the jury verdict and request a new trial.

Standard request by attorneys to set aside the jury verdict and request a new trial.
Yes, not a lawyer, but I assume it is a standard, to get it on the record, they asked the trial judge to reconsider before filing their appeal. It is often (and this case) an almost pointless attempt.

Yes, not a lawyer, but I assume it is a standard, to get it on the record, they asked the trial judge to reconsider before filing their appeal. It is often (and this case) an almost pointless attempt.

In 99.99% of cases it is.

Another example of the left media trying to make a story out of nothing.

P01135809's whole and entire being is tied up in perceived as a winner, cannot and will not ever accept be a loser.

Now, E. Jean Carroll has him turned into a 2-Time loser. His self-image is now one of loser and very public loser. He keeps being shut down by the judge in criminal trial and he does not know how to do anything over playing victim care. "Nothing like this has ever happened to another president". No other president has supported or condoned an Insurrection. No other president has been found liable for the rape of E. Jean Carroll. No other has been put on trial for criminal fraud.

Every single solitary fucking thing that is happening to Snoreleone has been of his own doing. He alone created this shit storm. He alone is responsible.

If I was a rich celebrity I would require any woman I had sex with to make a video tape saying she consented and was willing and under no coercion.

That way if one popped up claiming I had sex with her, I could argue that since I had no tape of her claiming she consented, her story was false.

In passing, an award of 83.3 million should convince attractive women to ambush rich men or make up stories about their involvement with them. Billionaires should be VERY CAREFUL around women.

Where is this case now ? Is there more litigation to come ? I think this might be upsetting for Ms Carroll. Rape victims should not be raped again in court.

Another day, another partisan dem judge chipping in for the cause.

An 83M payment would stress my bank account. DJ is so rich that he can pay that without blinking an eye.

I have to hand it to the dems

Making trump’s denial that he did anything wrong a crime turned out even better for the left than the unprovable rape charge

So in the kangaroo court system in new york denying ones guilt is now a crime

Good for the judge. Fuck Trump! And fuck all his kiss-ass minions.

Forum List

Back