We are living through the latest example of democracy eventually failing.

Situational ethics? Not exactly. Maybe radical individualism? You do you boo. I guess would be my philosophy. I don't pretend to know or care how you feel about any given situation or action. That's a you problem.
Few situations are problematic to me, morally speaking. Right is right, wrong is wrong.

It didn't take long for me to realize that the city I grew up in had gone so woke that the average IQ had dropped to about 75. Some of this was to to Dementia among the population and the propensity of really dumb people to embrace bizarre concepts like DEI. The city is in the process of constructing a massve new liquor store about a hundred yards from the city line. Fatty livers are everywhere and you can witness morons going into the local smoke shop on Main Street with paper masks on their faces. These slobs love their bread and circuses. Nothing was learned from Rome apparently.

Unless this changes, we are toast. "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -- Ben Franklin

empire.jpg

https://www.loc.gov/resource/ppmsca.84235/

Sorry you acknowledge the benefits of your right to life, just however you don’t have one. Gotcha

Yes benefits afford to us by biology, naturally
Why would I acknowledge something you can't even explain? Telling me I have natural rights isn't the same thing as proving they exist.

I didn't. You keep trying to equate biological life with natural rights but they aren't the same thing.
You literally just did, yoj said you were born with a right to life, by virtue of biology.

It’s a long winded way of sayings it’s a natural right…but keep playing stupid

You literally just did, yoj said you were born with a right to life, by virtue of biology.
No I didn't you illiterate moron. If you think I did then quote it. Now you're imagining my comments like you imagine having natural rights.
It’s a long winded way of sayings it’s a natural right…but keep playing stupid
So I'm not actually saying it. You're inferring it because you can't actually even explain what a natural right is.

No I didn't you illiterate moron. If you think I did then quote it. Now you're imagining my comments like you imagine having natural rights.

So I'm not actually saying it. You're inferring it because you can't actually even explain what a natural right is.
Ok, I guess we are back to the point that you don’t believe you have a right to live.

Gotcha

Ok, I guess we are back to the point that you don’t believe you have a right to live.

Gotcha
I have said from the begging that I don't know what the fuck you think that means. I am alive. I know what being alive is as opposed to what being dead is. I don't know what a right to life is. Things that are dead don't need a right to anything and things that are alive don't need the confirmation. That's the meaning behind "I think therefore I am." So what utility does this right have to me that I should want it?

It's telling that so many see our freedoms in the USofA slipping away , yet so few can define just what constitutes 'freedom'.

So here we want some moral metric to float down like manna ,along with FF's insistence 'we the peeps' are incapable w/out celestial guidance

This , from diehard deists who escaped a theocracy reeks cognitive dissonance , or gaslighting from their then 3% stance.....

~S~

The guardrails the Founders put in the Constitution to protect America from the well-known and inevitable decline of a democracy still require a moral and thoughtful citizenry. We have neither. Look at this list of reasons given for the decline of the Roman republic:

There Was An Imbalance Of Power Between The Aristocracy And The Rest Of Society
They Broke Into Factions Who Prioritized Their Own Aims Over Their Republic
Ancient Democracies Limited Voting To Select Citizens
Demagogues Were Able To Easily Persuade A Misled Populace
Political Campaigns Were Expensive And Mired In Controversy
Certain Individuals Had Their Own Personal Military
Senators Stalled Vital Legislation With Filibusters
Senators Began Using Violence To Get Rid Of Political Adversaries
Participation In Long-Running Wars Caused Regional Instability
Autocratic Powers Rigged Democratic Systems To Put Themselves In Power
All People Were Free To Live As They Pleased

As the Bible says, there is nothing new under the sun. The Founders tried to protect against the inevitable. They understood how fragile a democracy is and how dependent it is on the character of the citizens.

John Adams stated it this way, “Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics.

George Washington said: “Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government,”[6] and “Human rights can only be assured among a virtuous people.”

Benjamin Franklin said: “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom.”

James Madison stated: “To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness without any virtue in the people, is a chimerical [imaginary] idea.”

Thomas Jefferson wrote, “No government can continue good but under the control of the people; and … their minds are to be informed by education what is right and what wrong; to be encouraged in habits of virtue and to be deterred from those of vice … These are the inculcations necessary to render the people a sure basis for the structure and order of government.”

Samuel Adams said: “Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt. He therefore is the truest friend of the liberty of his country who tries most to promote its virtue.”

Patrick Henry stated that: “A vitiated [impure] state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom.”

John Adams stated: “We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

I guess there is something cool about being witness to this shit show as it happens, but it's actually terrifying for those of us with children.

To some degree.
Socrates indeed said it well a very long time ago with his parable about the ship sailing across an ocean.
He asked a group - (consider that at the time sailing across an ocean was extremely dangerous) "if you were on a ship set to sail across the ocean would you want an experienced captain who tells you the truth? Or would you want a candy seller who promises free sweets for the voyage?"
His claim was then, and is certainly true, that if you give the masses the right to vote for leaders to lead them - they will vote for the candy seller most of the time, and only vote for the seasoned captain in the worst of times.

Forum List

Back