Eco Homes: Austin company prints 3-D houses for $4,000

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Austin company is building 3D printed houses for less than $4,000

First there was the Elio car, downsizing vehicles to just the basics for around 7K
with gas mileage over 80 mpg (and monthly payments are rolled into the cost to fillup).

Now a different company is trying to make houses smaller, cheaper, faster and accessible for anyone's budget.

I think I pay more for storage than I would for a house like this!

Wouldn't this end the homeless crisis?
And create jobs for people to maintain the sites.

Instead of homeless vets out of jobs, and instead of paying for prisons,
why not invest in homes within supervised campus programs
for onsite education and other services.

Anyone could set up a school or nonprofit site to help whoever they want.
No more welfare handouts, all the programs can be run and funded
completely voluntary by free choice of donors and participants.

By lowering the costs where anyone can help, as with Habitat for Humanity
that is all voluntarily run.

It's coming. Some of the homeless can be helped, but not all. Still, there is a place for inexpensive homes. The tiny house movement caters to millions.

Last edited:
I like it. And, if they can print those houses out as fast and as cheap as they say they can, that would be a really good thing to use for disaster relief after a hurricane rips up all the houses.

Interesting concept, but how will this home do in winter? or summer? or would it survive a normal storm?

I guess Kosh you can build it on wheels and have a mobile home to cart somewhere else before a disaster hits.

For summer, migrate to the milder climates.
For winter, go find some global warming hotspot and cuddle up to that!

I am curious about what it is actually made of though. I mean, repairs shouldnt be that bad but it wont be worth 4 grand if you have to do patch work every thunderstorm or something.

Interesting concept, but how will this home do in winter? or summer? or would it survive a normal storm?
They look extremely strong. Did you see how they're made? Some kind of reinforced concrete. Weather proof, bug and rot proof.

I am curious about what it is actually made of though. I mean, repairs shouldnt be that bad but it wont be worth 4 grand if you have to do patch work every thunderstorm or something.

Good thinking TNHarley
can we 3-D print all the supplies to fix it up?
how about 4-D printing more money
ahead of time and pay those costs in advance of earning it?

Good thinking TNHarley
can we 3-D print all the supplies to fix it up?
how about 4-D printing more money
ahead of time and pay those costs in advance of earning it?
maybe so? IDK i dont know anything about this 3d printing stuff.

I looked it up.

It's concrete reinforced with glass or steel fiber. Plenty strong.

And, if you look at the way they print the walls, they look like they would be more than strong enough with all the gussets they print between the layers, and, for people living in the northern states, you can fill the cavities with foam insulation.

And, if you put in foam insulation to fill the empty spaces between the inner and outer walls, that would increase the strength of the structure.

Forum List

Back