Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

There are better ways to blow the whistle....evidently Snowden has a record of complaining...he should have used official contacts rather than rat to the British press.

There are things you know.
There are things you think you know.
There are things you can know.
There are things you can't know.
There are things you don't know.
There are things you don't know you don't know.

To paraphrase a former hero of the WOT....

Government talking point:

Polls show that Americans WANT to be under surveillance 24/7, they WANT all their telephone calls, e-mails, internet use, monitored by the government. It will keep them SAFE and now America wants it. Needs it.

Not at all true.

Those who give up an essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin.

We might now DESERVE to lose our liberty.

There are better ways to blow the whistle....evidently Snowden has a record of complaining...he should have used official contacts rather than rat to the British press.

Oh, yes, he should have complained to the people doing the spying, rather than alert the American people to what the U.S. government is doing. That makes sense.

He watched the transition of info being used against terrorists to being used against political enemies of Obama.

OK, recall that the Obama Campaign had computer systems and programs to provide state of the art information about voters and voting patterns. It was mind boggling in its sophistication.
What are the odds that information gleaned at NSA was used in constructing that system? Not saying it happened. But what are the odds? And if true, should Obama be impeached, removed, tried and jailed?

No sir.

Close to 50% of Americans depend of federal government handouts. We pay no mind to those details.

By golly, we are going to re-elect him to a 3rd term. Fuck the 22nd Amendment.

Care to lay a wager on that, buckaroo?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z99qFwsDmU]Meet Edward Snowden: NSA PRISM Whistleblower - YouTube[/ame]

Glenn Greenwald interviews Snowden in Hong Kong.

Maybe some others will come forward now.

“I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions,” but “I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant..

Edward Snowden
:

STANDING OVATION

You don't think the gov't should be able to look at your telephone bill to stop terrorism? Pub dupes!

No, since that has nothing to do with stopping terrorism.

Our representatives who know and aren't NUTS lol disagree...and say it already has.

Well how convenient for them that all the information regarding this alleged terrorist plot is classified. So they can assure us that it happened, but can't actually give us any details about it. This is nonsense, of course. Every time the government is caught doing something bad they come out with this claim that it's necessary to combat terrorism, and that it probably has already stopped terrorism without ever having to back that claim up. It's well past time we started thinking critically rather than trusting our wise overlords every time they scream "TERRORISM!" to try to justify their wrongdoing.

And yes, I have no doubt that the spies disagree with the assertion that they shouldn't be spying on people. I wonder why they could possibly think that.

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. From the moment he decided to disclose numerous top-secret documents to the public, he was determined not to opt for the protection of anonymity. "I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong," he said.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | guardian.co.uk

It's probable that the government is going to go after this hero, harshly, when, in fact, they should be the ones arrested.

He is not a hero.

He is not a villain necessarily, either.

But let's not get all carried away.

The laws exist for a reason and he intentionally took it upon himself to decide what worth the law was in regard to the secret nature of this information.

It was not his call to make. Nobody elected him.

Oh, yes, he should have complained to the people doing the spying, rather than alert the American people to what the U.S. government is doing. That makes sense.

He should have taken it to Eric holder...he would have known what to do....fo sho....

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. From the moment he decided to disclose numerous top-secret documents to the public, he was determined not to opt for the protection of anonymity. "I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong," he said.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | guardian.co.uk

It's probable that the government is going to go after this hero, harshly, when, in fact, they should be the ones arrested.

He is not a hero.

The laws exist for a reason and he intentionally took it upon himself to decide what worth the law was in regard to the secret nature of this information.

Yes, the laws exist for a reason, and the government broke them. It doesn't matter that he wasn't elected. He exposed the crimes of people who were elected. He tried to complain to the people above him, as he explains in the interview, but they wouldn't listen. So he decided that we should all decide for ourselves, and I'm glad he made that decision and admire his bravery in doing so. You can say it wasn't his decision to make, but it wasn't the U.S. government's decision to spy on every American in such a fashion, and that is what we should be worried about. The government is not going to hold itself accountable, and we can't if we don't know what they're doing.

He is not a hero.

being elected is not a qualifier for releasing info.
That doesnt make him a hero, it makes him human.

He is not a hero.

being elected is not a qualifier for releasing info.
That doesnt make him a hero, it makes him human.
NOT being elected means he had NO right to take the law into his own hands, choose to break it and then hope to be hailed as a hero.

He is not a hero. He is a law-breaker.

Forum List

Back