Electronic Umpires??

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Umpires in Major League Baseball have been known to make some pretty horrible calls on occasion, but I don't know how I feel about this:

Robot Umps

Umpires in Major League Baseball have been known to make some pretty horrible calls on occasion, but I don't know how I feel about this:

Robot Umps

Occasional crappy calls from umpires and referees are just part of the entertainment of sports. Sure, it can be infuriating, but the beneficiary of the bad call always get their comeuppance.

I think the idea of a robot ump is sort of stupid, takes a lot away from the sport.

I remember the first pro sports event I went to see as a kid, Sammartino defending his title against Tanaka. The ref got knocked out cold, while Bruno was helping to revive the ref, Tanaka snuck behind Bruno with a steel chair to smack him on the head.

The fans warn Bruno, he grabs the chair from Tanaka and brains him with it just as the ref was coming to.

Ref didn't see everything that happened, and DQ'ed Sammartino awarding the fall to Tanaka.

Bruno empathized with the ref, and they agreed to settle it with a return match in a cage the next month.

I like the idea of electronic balls and strikes, which is just another version of instant replay.

I like the idea of electronic balls and strikes, which is just another version of instant replay.

I hate instant replay in football and baseball games. Slows up the game, the ref should make the call and move on.

Robot Umps

Occasional crappy calls from umpires and referees are just part of the entertainment of sports. Sure, it can be infuriating, but the beneficiary of the bad call always get their comeuppance.

I think the idea of a robot ump is sort of stupid, takes a lot away from the sport.

I remember the first pro sports event I went to see as a kid, Sammartino defending his title against Tanaka. The ref got knocked out cold, while Bruno was helping to revive the ref, Tanaka snuck behind Bruno with a steel chair to smack him on the head.

The fans warn Bruno, he grabs the chair from Tanaka and brains him with it just as the ref was coming to.

Ref didn't see everything that happened, and DQ'ed Sammartino awarding the fall to Tanaka.

Bruno empathized with the ref, and they agreed to settle it with a return match in a cage the next month.
Be pretty funny watching the manager storm out of the dugout and kick sand on those robots.......

Umpires have favorite pitchers and batters, and call balls and strikes accordingly. Why do you find that so entertaining?

You will still need a home plate umpire for all the calls he makes other than balls and strikes. They already use technology in pro tennis for line calls. I like the idea, you could just have the 'robot' indicate a green or red light and the home plate umpire could do his best Leslie Nielsen imitation STEEEEEEERRRRRRRIIIIKEEEE!!!

Forum List

Back