Zone1 Eliminate the Pitbull Menace

Well, at least you don't seem to blame the children.

Cute dog, is it yours?

The children.
Not my dog, just a sample.
and
2-3 year old kids are hard to train in their play and those are the ones most likely to try to ride a dog..

There are still some Pits, very few, where their blood has not be tainted by the massive over breeding and aggressive breeding. Very few.
Before the over breeding - these animals were very-very good family pets.
Yes, over breeding is a problem is some breeds, IMO. I had a pure-bred Briard that I later found out had genetic problems and he ended up with a brain tumor that made him highly aggressive for no reason. Had to put him down.

Yes, over breeding is a problem is some breeds, IMO. I had a pure-bred Briard that I later found out had genetic problems and he ended up with a brain tumor that made him highly aggressive for no reason. Had to put him down.

What's a Briard?

What's a Briard?
1707611760212.jpeg

The problem I have with the bully breeds is the problem I have with any breed whose heritage includes dog fighting or guardian work being paired with irresponsible owners who create a dangerous dog.

I wrote this elsewhere, but I’ll repeat it here.
I hike my dogs a lot along the Yoghiogheny River and the unpaved access road. In the beginning of January, we were returning along the Access Rd. when two dogs appeared over the hill and without stopping, immediately attacked Wyatt. Literally. No hesitation, no pause, no anything, they were running and on him before either of us could react. Within seconds all three had rolled off the road and down a steep embankment to the river. The female started yelping, I think she hurt herself, but the male still had hold of Wyatt. Adrenaline is a remarkable thing, it gives you incredible strength, courage and focus because I slid down the bank (ungracefuly on my ass) yelling for the owner to get his @#&**!!! dogs and trying to get them off Wyatt. He was there in seconds and though it seemed like forever, it was probably only seconds, we got the male to let go (I was lierally punching him in the head) but in the process the female bit me in the calf (likely redirected pain). Wyatt (bless his soul) did not try to reingage and did not run away, but stayed close, wanting to come over to me but afraid of the dog. I got him and we went along the river bank rocks as far as we could before it was blocked. I yelled at the guy and asked him if he had them leashed, he said he didn't have his leashes. Seriously. That meant we couldnt go back the same way and his hold on his dogs was uncertain. So we had to climb up the bank using trees to help us get up. Once we did, I went as fast as I could down the remaining half mile and into the community park. Wyatt was an angel, neither fearful nor antagonistic nor on his toes scanning for dogs, completely trusting me to keep his world happy. My dog trusted me to keep him safe and I almost failed him.

After we got back into the Friendsville Community Park part (it's not that big) the owner pulled up to make sure we were ok and while I appreciate that, I was pretty angry, and he made no excuses. And my wonderful wonderful dog? He crept up to the guy and tried to make friends.

There are not many walkers on the Acess Rd, so I understand him thinking it is a good spot to safely let his dogs off leash to romp. But here is the thing. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME this has happened with these two dogs! The first time was in the park itself last fall and given my dog was also off leash, I took part of the responsibility. Anything can happen once, there were no major injuries. But at that point you ought to recognize your dogs are dog aggressive and should not be off leash ESPECIALLY together where they become a pack! Both dogs were bully breeds and the male quite large.

Thank God Wyatt had a heavy long coat and loose skin, and where the one bit me, it broke skin and was a deep puncture.

All night I kept thinking what if I had had both Andi and Wyatt with me which I often do? I couldn't have broken it up and she is very timid. What if I had been walking Finn, with his whippet like build and short coat? Or Scout, who is smaller and older? I often see other dog walkers in the park itself, many are older with small dogs.

I am so thankful for my incredible dog, for adrenaline and for whomever it is in the universe that looks after us. It could have been worse.

1707625177667.png

You said that you could name that dog as being the one dog that wouldn't attack after feeling threatened.
I don't know... A lot of those kick-me dogs, are some of the snappinest, nippiest fuckers around. Especially the chihuahua types.

How would you know that a dog's aggressive before you get it?

Good point.
I'm old enough to have had several dogs and without seeing a dog, you have to rely on the honesty of the previous owner.

After spending some time with a dog, I can usually tell if a dog is aggressive or not.

A friend of mine who owned an attack trained Doberman that was responsible for guarding warehouses in NYC had to leave the country in a hurry and left "Spot" with me to babysit for about 4 months.

One of the first things that Spot did was to assume control of my favorite chair.

Spot was a smart and obedient dog who was trained to let people into a building but not let them leave.

I was going to the university at the time and, except for taking Spot for walks, the only way I could leave my apartment was to lock myself in the bathroom and crawl out the window.

Eventually, Spot let me pet him and when I took him swimming where we had a rope swing Spot felt that his duty was to retrieve the rope swing and hand it to the next person but, still, only let me and his owner touch him.

Eventually, Spot's owner returned, sold the warehouses and Spot retired to a farm in the country.

In spite of Spot's training, he never bit me once and after a few days, he let me have my chair back and even let me use my front door to come and go.

Forum List

Back