Elizabeth Warren Barred From Reading Coretta Scott King Letter About Jeff Sessions On Senate Floor

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Warren was reading a 1986 letter by Coretta Scott King about Sessions.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

Watch a clip of the exchange above.

More: Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

Last edited:
image.png

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell.

Trust me, Mitch McConnell doesn't want Jeff Sessions to have the job. McConnell is one of the elite pedophiles and one of the closet queers that are up to their necks in shit when it comes to Pizzagate.......if there is any justice? McConnell, Barney Frank and many other high profile politicians are going to do the perp walk. The arrests of 474 pedophiles in California this week is just the start of a major sweep to drain this swamp.....and it's only the beginning...... if the rank and file members of the FBI get their way. Anthony Wiener's laptop was the mother lode. NYPD detectives have been restricted from releasing the information.

In the letter, King wrote that Sessions “used the power of his office as United States Attorney to intimidate and chill the free exercise of the ballot by citizens.” Among other things, Sessions attempted to “intimidate and frighten elderly black voters,” King added.

McConnell said that, by quoting Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, Warren “impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama.” He then invoked Rule 19 to force Warren to stop speaking.

The rule is intended to encourage senators to be polite to each other. But McConnell used it squelch debate about a man nominated to be the next Attorney General of the United States.

More: Elizabeth Warren was just silenced on the Senate floor. Her crime was quoting Coretta Scott King.

Unbelievable!

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

Great news, thanks!

Strom Thurmond Buried Coretta Scott King's 1986 Letter Opposing a Jeff Sessions Appointment

And now Mitch McConnell is trying to bury it again.

wow.....this man may be our next attorney general and all some posters can do is be sarcastic ...who gives a shit what party you are from...Fucking grow up and maybe find out something that you might have missed about a person . I care about how I leave my country to my children, this is bullshit ...
Why shouldn't all things be discussed when fucking hiring someone for a job, especially in such high office..

I reckon. You should read what Alabama airport users have to say about Sessions' entourage parking on the runway. Perfectly petty tyrant behaviour.

Last edited:
Good to see the Democrats starting to grow some backbone.

-
Hopefully this thread will attract some sane posters instead of just ignorant NaziCon racists.

You think the raping and murdering of children is funny, Lakhota? You are one disgusting piece of shit...........laugh it up, bitch.

Who raped and murdered children?

Compromised politicians within your beloved corporate "gubermint"? How is that for starters? It has gone on for literally decades and any time the light gets shone on it like the BBC documentary "Conspiracy Of Silence" that was to be aired in 1994? The powers that be block it from the public view...the internet has been like Pandora's box...you can't put it back once it is out.Just like U/K's Parliament that was revealed to be full of pedophiles with the death of Jimmy Savile that provided young boys to them? It goes all the way to the Vatican and the House of Windsor. We have that here as well...........fucking debate me on this.......step up and tell me that I am wrong. I fucking BEG you to try. I will kick your ass to the curb with a shitload of facts complete with links, the death of Gary Caradori that even an idiot like you can't refute.....what say ye????

Jeff Sessions has been fighting for years against Corporations using Business Visas to undermine American jobs...what a scumbag.
Uh, what I meant was...LackBrains...what a scumbag.

Great news, thanks!

Why?

What is so good about shutting down debate in the senate?

If what she says is bullshit then what have you or anyone to fear by putting it on the table for all to see?

wow! the letter needs to be made part of the record in the sessions hearings....it's disturbing, to say the least! :eek:

Coretta Scott King's 1986 statement and testimony on Jeff...
Yes, because unsupported allegations are always so persuasive when describing Southern conservatives.

Whats that expression libs use about Southern conservatives? Scratch one and you'll find a racist?

When someone can find some evidence that just isnt disagreement with the cultural Marxist agenda, then I will take it seriously.

Till then, you liberals are looking ridiculous.

Wow, Mich is really starting to act like he has a pair of balls.

What happened, did Tom deLay loan him his?

Ah, the old "intimidating black voters" charge. So what did Sessions do, set up a police blockade and not let anyone into the voting booths?

wow! the letter needs to be made part of the record in the sessions hearings....it's disturbing, to say the least! :eek:

Coretta Scott King's 1986 statement and testimony on Jeff...
Yes, because unsupported allegations are always so persuasive when describing Southern conservatives.

Whats that expression libs use about Southern conservatives? Scratch one and you'll find a racist?

When someone can find some evidence that just isnt disagreement with the cultural Marxist agenda, then I will take it seriously.

Till then, you liberals are looking ridiculous.
I was Born in Alabama, my father was born in Alabama, my grandparents were born in Alabama, and my great grandparents were born in Alabama.... :rolleyes:

Sessions DID NOT deny her accusations in the hearing back then...

Forum List

Back