Elizabeth Warren Barred From Reading Coretta Scott King Letter About Jeff Sessions On Senate Floor

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Warren was reading a 1986 letter by Coretta Scott King about Sessions.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

Watch a clip of the exchange above.

More: Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

It's about time McConnell grew a pair. damn rules, you folks just can't seem abide by them

What the fuck rule are you talking about? The letter was already in the congressional record. She didn't do anything wrong. She just read what was already there and had been read before. Why wasn't it wrong then but it's wrong now? The answer? It wasn't wrong. It was racist Republicans shutting up a Democrat because he felt like it. Period.

Evidently it violated rule 19, McConnell brought it up and the chair sustained and told the bitch to take her seat. I guess you didn't bother to watch the video. Maybe instead of bitching at me you should look up Senate rule 19, I'm not going to do it for you.

Cruz called Mitch a "liar" on the senate floor, but Mitch ignored it.

Ms. Warren read a letter decades old in the Senate record. But she is censored? Like I said a couple of hundred times. The rules are different for Democrats.

I concede you and the liberals have a good objection

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement that McConnell's action was "selective enforcement" of Rule XIX.

"Senate Republicans have regularly flaunted Rule XIX in the past – but Republicans never asked them to sit down," said Schumer, who went on to point out that McConnell didn't object when Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, called him a liar in a 2015 dustup.

No they don't, you haven't looked at the rule either I guess.

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

It's about time McConnell grew a pair. damn rules, you folks just can't seem abide by them

What the fuck rule are you talking about? The letter was already in the congressional record. She didn't do anything wrong. She just read what was already there and had been read before. Why wasn't it wrong then but it's wrong now? The answer? It wasn't wrong. It was racist Republicans shutting up a Democrat because he felt like it. Period.

Evidently it violated rule 19, McConnell brought it up and the chair sustained and told the bitch to take her seat. I guess you didn't bother to watch the video. Maybe instead of bitching at me you should look up Senate rule 19, I'm not going to do it for you.

Ms. Warren read a letter decades old in the Senate record. But she is censored? Like I said a couple of hundred times. The rules are different for Democrats.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement that McConnell's action was "selective enforcement" of Rule XIX.

"Senate Republicans have regularly flaunted Rule XIX in the past – but Republicans never asked them to sit down," said Schumer, who went on to point out that McConnell didn't object when Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, called him a liar in a 2015 dustup.

Rules are different for Democrats.

When Condi Rice and Colin Powell were ordered to turn over their emails when they were SOS, both said no and never did. Not a single email.

Colin Powell had an AOL account he used with an unsecured Iphone. AOL and Iphone have been hacked many times. But that's OK.

Trump's advisor, Flynn had a personal server and was disciplined for giving away classified material to another country. But that's OK. He's a Republican. They can do that.

Hillary's mistake was thinking she could do the same thing Republicans do. She can't. She's not a Republican.

When Condi Rice and Colin Powell were ordered to turn over their emails when they were SOS, both said no and never did. Not a single email.

Colin Powell had an AOL account he used with an unsecured Iphone. AOL and Iphone have been hacked many times. But that's OK.

Trump's advisor, Flynn had a personal server and was disciplined for giving away classified material. But that's OK. He's a Republican. They can do that.

Awwwwww, deflection, none of which has a damn thing with the OP, maybe you should look at the forum posting rules while you look up the Senate rule.

Obviously, you haven't either. I even posted it in #52 and you still didn't read it.

Trump's advisor, Flynn had a personal server and was disciplined for giving away classified material. But that's OK. He's a Republican. They can do that.

Awwwwww, deflection, none of which has a damn thing with the OP, maybe you should look at the forum posting rules while you look up the Senate rule.
Deflection nothing. Rules are different for Democrats and Republicans. Talking about reading shit, I posted Senate Rule 19 in post #52 and you still made a ridiculous statement.

Obviously, you haven't either. I even posted it in #52 and you still didn't read it.

I guess you didn't understand #2 of the rule, Warrens motive was to personally impute another Senator, that's a no-no.

I guess you didn't understand #2 of the rule, Warrens motive was to personally impute another Senator, that's a no-no.

The only think deany understands is that the only way he gets sex is if he decides to go f**k himself.

Don't try to drag me into your and dennies sexcapades.

To me this is simple. Mrs. King had an opinion. No evidence. Game over. The letter with her opinion doesn't count.

Hey how's that twitter thing coming along, you dumb bitch? Are you still an egghead?

In the letter, King wrote that Sessions “used the power of his office as United States Attorney to intimidate and chill the free exercise of the ballot by citizens.” Among other things, Sessions attempted to “intimidate and frighten elderly black voters,” King added.

McConnell said that, by quoting Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, Warren “impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama.” He then invoked Rule 19 to force Warren to stop speaking.

The rule is intended to encourage senators to be polite to each other. But McConnell used it squelch debate about a man nominated to be the next Attorney General of the United States.

More: Elizabeth Warren was just silenced on the Senate floor. Her crime was quoting Coretta Scott King.

Unbelievable!

The old letter is opinion and not proven facts. Warren was just playing the race card to get her way.

She should have been shut down.

McConnell is saving lives. Good work, buddy. Can imagine the fallout if Pocahontas slanders Jeff Sessions, whatever stupid non-issue was in the letter is reported on CNN as "Jeff Sessions is Literally Hitler burning KKK crosses on MLK's front lawn, literally he's a walking talking Nazi lynch mob who legitimately rapes woman all day long." That is all these libtards know how to do anymore, that is, besides staging a riot. So, yeah, sit down and shut up, bitch.

McConnell only drew attention to Warren's reading of Mrs. King's letter. It was late night and most folks wouldn't have heard about it. Now it's headline news.

Mitch, a racist, defending racist Sessions.

Robert Byrd was a KKK bigwig until his miraculous redemption to become a democratic icon.

Ted kennedy killed a young woman but that did not stop democrats to worship him as lion of the senate.

Compared to these two pieces of sub human garbage, Jeff Sessions' alleged racism is pretty mild.

Your democrat friends at your kkk meeting tell you that?

To me this is simple. Mrs. King had an opinion. No evidence. Game over. The letter with her opinion doesn't count.
mrs king was invited to TESTIFY before the Senate Hearing on Sessions, she had a previous commitment and could not be there in person, she submitted her testimony in writing. Her testimony was accepted and read to the Senators AND was the main REASON why Sessions was denied the judgeship.

Forum List

Back