Elizabeth Warren Barred From Reading Coretta Scott King Letter About Jeff Sessions On Senate Floor

wow.....this man may be our next attorney general and all some posters can do is be sarcastic ...who gives a shit what party you are from...Fucking grow up and maybe find out something that you might have missed about a person . I care about how I leave my country to my children, this is bullshit ...
Why shouldn't all things be discussed when fucking hiring someone for a job, especially in such high office..
It wasn't a discussion. It was the employing of the liberal's favorite tactic. To smear shit on their opponent. The asshole knew she couldn't directly criticize Sessions so she thought she could get away with letting someone else do it. And since when was Loretta anointed the holy one who's word is gold? Libs don't think rules should apply to them.

Well, it would be nice for once to see some actual feedback from the opposition instead of the same old slamming each other. Jeff Sessions concerns me...
Do you like Sessions?
That's NOT feedback. It's a driveby smear job and why the rule was put in place. IF Sessions was a racist they would have a hell of a lot more to go on than a opinionated letter from 1986.

I personally know someone who went through so much trying to become a Judge ... They go through every detail of your life. Your education, lifestyle, character, in depth search into every detail of your life.
He would have been appointed if Grey Davis wasn't kicked out as Governor ( another scam)
He was not hired because of being late to court a few times as an attorney( well a lot lol )

He was devastated , anyway a character letter from an opponent should be allowed in my opinion.

McConnall is a scum who doesn't work for the republicans or democrats, he works for his pocket book..

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Warren was reading a 1986 letter by Coretta Scott King about Sessions.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

Watch a clip of the exchange above.

More: Mitch McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Jeff Sessions

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

Great news, thanks!

Why?

What is so good about shutting down debate in the senate?

If what she says is bullshit then what have you or anyone to fear by putting it on the table for all to see?

Maybe Harry Reid can tell you what is so good about shutting down debate in the Senate.

Karma is a bitch.

McConnell silenced Coretta Scott King from the grave??'

Smooth move, old white Republican dude.

Hahahahahahahaha ....

Freaken crook

images

The secret to Mitch McConnell’s millions

You know the Republic is in deep trouble when the scumbags in the Senate start censoring each other in order to stifle debate, what the heck is McConnell afraid of? Let Senator Dingbat read the letter, if the contents offend Senator Sessions (or any of the other nimrods in the Senate) too fuckin' bad, suck it up buttercups.
reading a letter outlining accusations with no proof is not debate
In the Senate it is, the letter was written by a constituent also known as "one of the people the assholes in the Senate work for" , so yeah the opinions of constituents have been fodder for what passes for debate in the Senate since it's inception, supposedly the assholes in the Senate are smart enough to separate opinions from actual evidence (history suggests otherwise but that is besides the point).
it was nothing but a list of unsupported accusations by a third party and violates the Senate rules
If that were true, why was Sen. Udall allowed to read the same letter?

wow.....this man may be our next attorney general and all some posters can do is be sarcastic ...who gives a shit what party you are from...Fucking grow up and maybe find out something that you might have missed about a person . I care about how I leave my country to my children, this is bullshit ...
Why shouldn't all things be discussed when fucking hiring someone for a job, especially in such high office..
It wasn't a discussion. It was the employing of the liberal's favorite tactic. To smear shit on their opponent. The asshole knew she couldn't directly criticize Sessions so she thought she could get away with letting someone else do it. And since when was Loretta anointed the holy one who's word is gold? Libs don't think rules should apply to them.

Well, it would be nice for once to see some actual feedback from the opposition instead of the same old slamming each other. Jeff Sessions concerns me...
Do you like Sessions?
That's NOT feedback. It's a driveby smear job and why the rule was put in place. IF Sessions was a racist they would have a hell of a lot more to go on than a opinionated letter from 1986.

I personally know someone who went through so much trying to become a Judge ... They go through every detail of your life. Your education, lifestyle, character, in depth search into every detail of your life.
He would have been appointed if Grey Davis wasn't kicked out as Governor ( another scam)
He was not hired because of being late to court a few times as an attorney( well a lot lol )

He was devastated , anyway a character letter from an opponent should be allowed in my opinion.

McConnall is a scum who doesn't work for the republicans or democrats, he works for his pocket book..
A character letter from a dead critic is about as low as you can go because in a court of law we have the right to face our accusers. Pocahontas wanted to deny this from Senator Sessions. I'm not surprised that they silenced her.

You know the Republic is in deep trouble when the scumbags in the Senate start censoring each other in order to stifle debate, what the heck is McConnell afraid of? Let Senator Dingbat read the letter, if the contents offend Senator Sessions (or any of the other nimrods in the Senate) too fuckin' bad, suck it up buttercups.
In the Senate it is, the letter was written by a constituent also known as "one of the people the assholes in the Senate work for" , so yeah the opinions of constituents have been fodder for what passes for debate in the Senate since it's inception, supposedly the assholes in the Senate are smart enough to separate opinions from actual evidence (history suggests otherwise but that is besides the point).
it was nothing but a list of unsupported accusations by a third party and violates the Senate rules
According to McConnell It violated one esoteric and little used rule which has been ignored countless times in the past.

In this case it just makes the Republicans look like they are afraid of Senator Warren and what Coretta Scott King has to say, not very smart. Not to mention that if the so called conservatives in the Senate want to distinguish themselves from the anti-free speech, left wing, nut cases sprouting up everywhere the last thing they should want to be doing is censoring a left wing nut case Senator, if the accusations are unsupported then they should be easily rebutted on the Senate Floor.

so what?

Do you really want the Senate to become a forum where anyone can just read a third party letter of a laundry list of unfounded accusations ?

McConnell Cuts Off Elizabeth Warren For Criticizing Sessions, Senate GOP Silences Her

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) rose on Tuesday and objected to a speech Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) was giving in opposition to the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) as attorney general.

McConnell took particular issue with Warren as she quoted a letter written by Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow, when Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986.

McConnell invoked the little-used Rule XIX, which says that “No Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” King’s letter argues that, during Sessions’ time as a prosecutor in Alabama, “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.” It was that portion of the letter that McConnell read back to the presiding officer, arguing that it was over the line.

The Republican presiding in the chair, Sen. Steve Daines of Montana, agreed with McConnell, ruling her in violation of the order and forcing her to sit down.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren replied.

A vote was then held on Warren’s appeal of the ruling of the chair, and Republicans prevailed. Under the rules, she would be barred from speaking during the remaining 30 hours of the Sessions debate.

Democrats then asked that, notwithstanding the ruling of the chair, her speaking privileges be restored, and McConnell called for a vote on the request. The story is developing.

I've been watching the Senate for many years - but I've never seen anything like this. This seems like a very stupid move by Mitch McConnell. Senator Warren was "Red Carded" by the Senate - which means she will not be allowed to speak on Jeff Sessions anymore.

:lmao:
Quit your bitching you cowardly piece of shit… stay out of the firewater you fucking drunk Indian. Mitch McConnell is just a progressive.

If that were true, why was Sen. Udall allowed to read the same letter?
Maybe because after his reading of it they found that behavior to be in violation of the rules so he got lucky and got away with it. That certainly doesn't mean the rules should not be enforced

According to McConnell It violated one esoteric and little used rule which has been ignored countless times in the past.

In this case it just makes the Republicans look like they are afraid of Senator Warren and what Coretta Scott King has to say, not very smart. Not to mention that if the so called conservatives in the Senate want to distinguish themselves from the anti-free speech, left wing, nut cases sprouting up everywhere the last thing they should want to be doing is censoring a left wing nut case Senator, if the accusations are unsupported then they should be easily rebutted on the Senate Floor.

McConnell looked like an idiot and gave Warren additional visibility
Warren was almost done with her reading when McConnell stopped her

Now the headlines read "McConnell censures Coretta Scott King"

Not something you want to do when you are confirming an Attorney General in charge of Civil Rights

Molehill meet mountain

Do you like Sessions?

A character letter from a dead critic is about as low as you can go because in a court of law we have the right to face our accusers. Pocahontas wanted to deny this from Senator Sessions. I'm not surprised that they silenced her.

We all know that Sessions is going to get the job, dems can't stop it.. McConnell should just sit back go through the motions like he cares..lol..

Moron...the rule is from 1900s...........as a democrat warren doesn't think rules apply to her.....

Elizabeth Warren: "I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,"

Here's why.....Ms. King doesn't know what she's talking about.

"I am scared that if Ronald Reagan gets into office, we are going to see more of the KKK and a resurgence of the Nazi party." - Coretta Scott King, just before 1980 election. LIBERALS, DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR? "I am scared that if Ronald Reagan gets into office, we are going to see more of the KKK and a resurgence of the Nazi party." - Coretta Scott King, just before 1980 election. • /r/The_Donald

Last edited:

Moron...this is the rule she broke....And of course....it was two violent democrats who were the reason this rule was created......democrats are violent, racist, and hateful........as she proved again on the Senate floor.....

The silencing of Elizabeth Warren and an old Senate rule prompted by a fistfight

Those rules were published in 1801. The incident that paved the way for Rule 19 came more than a century later.

Those rules were published in 1801. The incident that paved the way for Rule 19 came more than a century later.

It was February 1902 and a feud was escalating between the two Democratic senators from South Carolina. Benjamin Tillman, the senior senator and something of a political boss in the state, had grown angry that John McLaurin, his protege, was allowing Senate Republicans to court him on some issues, including the annexation of the Philippines.

--------

It was February 1902 and a feud was escalating between the two Democratic senators from South Carolina. Benjamin Tillman, the senior senator and something of a political boss in the state, had grown angry that John McLaurin, his protege, was allowing Senate Republicans to court him on some issues, including the annexation of the Philippines.
----
Furious that McLaurin was colluding with the other side of the aisle, Tillman used a Feb. 22, 1902, speech on the Senate floor to harangue the younger senator. Gesturing toward McLaurin’s empty chair, Tillman accused his counterpart of treachery and corruption, saying he had succumbed to “improper influences,” according to a Senate history of the dispute.

When McLaurin caught wind of Tillman’s remarks, he rushed into the chamber and shouted that Tillman was telling a “willful, malicious and deliberate lie.”

The "so what" is that the Republicans just gave Senator Warren EXACTLY what she wanted, namely Martyr status coupled with damaging the Republicans street creds regarding being "pro freedom of speech". The Republicans missed a golden opportunity to send one of their own (Tim Scott perhaps?) up to rip her argument to shreds on the Senate Floor while at the same time looking like they were all about open discussion, politics is perception and the perception on this one is and is likely to remain that the Republicans canned Senator Warrens right to speak because they didn't like what she had to say. Average Joe citizen doesn't give a damn about arcane Senate rules but he does understand what a gag order represents.

Do you really want the Senate to become a forum where anyone can just read a third party letter of a laundry list of unfounded accusations ?
What do you mean "become"? The Senate has already been that way since it's beginning, the prudent thing to do was to destroy those "unfounded accusations" in front of the cameras.

McConnell is afraid that somebody will walk up to the lying bitch and punch her lights out. At least that is why the rule was created.

The "so what" is that the Republicans just gave Senator Warren EXACTLY what she wanted, namely Martyr status coupled with damaging the Republicans street creds regarding being "pro freedom of speech". The Republicans missed a golden opportunity to send one of their own (Tim Scott perhaps?) up to rip her argument to shreds on the Senate Floor while at the same time looking like they were all about open discussion, politics is perception and the perception on this one is and is likely to remain that the Republicans canned Senator Warrens right to speak because they didn't like what she had to say. Average Joe citizen doesn't give a damn about arcane Senate rules but he does understand what a gag order represents.

What do you mean "become"? The Senate has already been that way since it's beginning, the prudent thing to do was to destroy those "unfounded accusations" in front of the cameras.
no the prudent thing to do is to not let unfounded accusations be uttered at all
it's a waste of time and money and believe me the Senate already wastes enough of both

Forum List

Back