English-Only EU?

While Germany is the pre-eminent economic power in Europe and the German language is used in parts of Switzerland, in Austria, and is closely related to Dutch, less so to English and the Scandinavian languages - it is also unfortunately the case that many smaller nations will resent German 'dominance' based entirely on past history. And I mean going all the way back to the 'Holy Roman Empire'!
Yes, but it is a wrong view. The Netherlands e.g. simply were (was?) a part of the Holy Roman Empire and left it some time. But the Holy Roman Empire was a loose bound anyway. Many currencies, armies and laws.

While I attempt to eschew even linguistic chauvinism, English remains the 'standard' language for airport traffic control, for computers, and is the 'second language' of choice in many places around the world. (Only it's actually 'American').
They can eat our money, so they can speak our language.

I didn't mean to suggest that the resentment I mentioned was justified so far as current events in Europe, sorry! I think it's mostly there as an undercurrent, a kind of 'force of habit'..... people are generally slow to really 'get it' that someone else has changed.

Regardless of which language is used, the EU is a good idea for MOST of Europe. I can see your point that Germany is probably the nation which needs the EU *least* and which gives up the most to be part of it.

A look at the different GDP's by nation should explain WHY the EU is so badly needed by the rest of Europe - particularly when compared with the list of GDP's of US individual states.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While Germany is the pre-eminent economic power in Europe and the German language is used in parts of Switzerland, in Austria, and is closely related to Dutch, less so to English and the Scandinavian languages - it is also unfortunately the case that many smaller nations will resent German 'dominance' based entirely on past history. And I mean going all the way back to the 'Holy Roman Empire'!
Yes, but it is a wrong view. The Netherlands e.g. simply were (was?) a part of the Holy Roman Empire and left it some time. But the Holy Roman Empire was a loose bound anyway. Many currencies, armies and laws.

While I attempt to eschew even linguistic chauvinism, English remains the 'standard' language for airport traffic control, for computers, and is the 'second language' of choice in many places around the world. (Only it's actually 'American').
They can eat our money, so they can speak our language.

I didn't mean to suggest that the resentment I mentioned was justified so far as current events in Europe, sorry! I think it's mostly there as an undercurrent, a kind of 'force of habit'..... people are generally slow to really 'get it' that someone else has changed.

Regardless of which language is used, the EU is a good idea for MOST of Europe. I can see your point that Germany is probably the nation which needs the EU *least* and which gives up the most to be part of it.

A look at the different GDP's by nation should explain WHY the EU is so badly needed by the rest of Europe - particularly when compared with the list of GDP's of US individual states.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know what you mean, but it is hardly comparable. The EU has a very low budget:
Budget of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it is a problem that countries like Greece got a financial leeway they couldn´t finance. The Euro came with some agreements, which made Germany pay 3000 billion EUR since its introduction:
1.) Interest subsidy:
The powerfull EU-members (Germany) pay more interest and the weak pay less interest.
For example:
A German home builder currently pays 4% APR for a 36 month loan. In spite of great safety. Quarterly repayment.
A Swiss home builder currently pays 1,75% APR for a 36 month loan. once grace.
Before the Euro, the German and Swiss percantes were similar.

This makes an annual German contribution to the weak EU-memberstates (EU) of about 100 billion Euro.

2.) Foreign trade surplus:
Since the introduction of the Euro, Germany has to give away its complete annual foreign trade surplus to the weak EU-members (EU). With that money, Germany pays (via ECB) their uncovered imports.

This makes an annual German contribution to the weak EU-memberstates (EU) of about 150 billion Euro.

----
Total costs of the Euro for Germany up to the present: 3000 billion Euro!!!

In spite of that "help", the weak EU-members (EU) are going bankrupt and Germany has to pay even for that! With the ESM.
The figures here are taken from the German weekly Focus Magazine.
"Focus is a German weekly news magazine published in Munich and distributed throughout Germany. It is the third-largest weekly news magazine in Germany. It is considered conservative and leaned towards economic liberalism.":
Focus (German magazine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
German as most used language in Europe .

No, Europe has more native German speakers. It is not "the most used language in Europe."

I definitely agree
fsky.jpg

I do not agree. People would communicate using their native language, if they would not be forced to speak English in their own countries. There is no "No English"-Statement. Its just a matter of course.

Let's face it - British English is NOT a native language!!! Erse, Welsh, and Gael are. English is an interloper due to Saxon invasions.

Forum List

Back