Envy

I think a good measure of envy is to ask the question, "Can I rejoice with them when they rejoice, or cry with them as they cry?"

I don't think what you are describing is envy in that sense.

Our youngest daughter is a gymnast, a very good gymnast. Other girls are envious she invariably medals at meets, in turn they strive to be like her, follow her practice habits and work ethic.

They are improving due to it. Their envy motivates them to try harder
That's not envy. It's motivation. Envy is taking from or wanting others to lower themselves to your level. Envy doesn't work harder to get better. It lazily brings others down to their level.

I disagree, their envy is a motivational factor.
I have to disagree as well. Envy is not a motivation to do better yourself. It's dragging those that do better down.

You look at the dark side of envy, I'm looking at the brighter side but then I'm an optimist. If their envy of our daughter motivates them to try harder and improve then their envy became an asset
That's what I would call motivation or competitiveness. I raced motorcycles for years. My goal was never to have the guy that was winning not be on the track or not be healthy. I wanted to beat him at his best. That's not envy.

Our youngest daughter is a gymnast, a very good gymnast. Other girls are envious she invariably medals at meets, in turn they strive to be like her, follow her practice habits and work ethic.

They are improving due to it. Their envy motivates them to try harder
That's not envy. It's motivation. Envy is taking from or wanting others to lower themselves to your level. Envy doesn't work harder to get better. It lazily brings others down to their level.

I have to disagree as well. Envy is not a motivation to do better yourself. It's dragging those that do better down.

You look at the dark side of envy, I'm looking at the brighter side but then I'm an optimist. If their envy of our daughter motivates them to try harder and improve then their envy became an asset
That's what I would call motivation or competitiveness. I raced motorcycles for years. My goal was never to have the guy that was winning not be on the track or not be healthy. I wanted to beat him at his best. That's not envy.

Sure it is, they are improving because they are trying harder.

I never said anything about not being on the mats, they want to beat her at her best, they're practicing harder and have better work ethics. In turn her entire level at her gym is performing better in meets.

Sure it is, they are improving because they are trying harder.

I never said anything about not being on the mats, they want to beat her at her best, they're practicing harder and have better work ethics. In turn her entire level at her gym is performing better in meets.
Ok but that's not envy. We can go rounds on this but envy isn't motivation to do better.

Forum List

Back