Equally Dangerous "Undertow Current" pulls two swimmers under at New York City beach.?!!

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I saw on the NYC TV news last night a story that made me think, and wonder. We hear a lot of news stories about "Rip currents" but never see or hear any news stories about the equally dangerous "Undertow Current"?!!? There were two swimmers at a Jacob Riss Beach in New York City. They were both in the water at the beach. A large wave was coming at them. As soon as the wave approached, they were both sucked under the water at the beach, by what I think was an "Undertow Current". But all we have been hearing about on the News is the "Rip Current"?!! You never see or hear a news report about the equally dangerous "Undertow Current"?!!? Why is this.?!!? The public is being uninformed.? Only experienced swimmers know about this "Undertow Current."!??!!Your responses.?!?

I saw on the NYC TV news last night a story that made me think, and wonder. We hear a lot of news stories about "Rip currents" but never see or hear any news stories about the equally dangerous "Undertow Current"?!!? There were two swimmers at a Jacob Riss Beach in New York City. They were both in the water at the beach. A large wave was coming at them. As soon as the wave approached, they were both sucked under the water at the beach, by what I think was an "Undertow Current". But all we have been hearing about on the News is the "Rip Current"?!! You never see or hear a news report about the equally dangerous "Undertow Current"?!!? Why is this.?!!? The public is being uninformed.? Only experienced swimmers know about this "Undertow Current."!??!!Your responses.?!?
All the same thing.

Too much funny stuff went on at Riis Beach for me. I used to go to a nearby beach called Long Beach and there were strong currents there as well. In Long Beach, they used to call the current created when a wave went back to sea after petering out on the beach, the undertow. The undertow would pull the sand out from under your feet in ankle high water. The riptide was in deeper water and was a current that could pull you out and to one side or the other. Long Beach's riptide was mostly out and to the left if you were facing land. It was my thinking that a riptide was just the undertow as it got further from shore. In the end, the rule is, if you're not strong, don't mess with the ocean. To be safe, you should stay in the shallow water and test your strength against the current before getting bold. It's important to remember that your strength will be less as you go in deeper.

Too much funny stuff went on at Riis Beach for me. I used to go to a nearby beach called Long Beach and there were strong currents there as well. In Long Beach, they used to call the current created when a wave went back to sea after petering out on the beach, the undertow. The undertow would pull the sand out from under your feet in ankle high water. The riptide was in deeper water and was a current that could pull you out and to one side or the other. Long Beach's riptide was mostly out and to the left if you were facing land. It was my thinking that a riptide was just the undertow as it got further from shore. In the end, the rule is, if you're not strong, don't mess with the ocean. To be safe, you should stay in the shallow water and test your strength against the current before getting bold. It's important to remember that your strength will be less as you go in deeper.

yes … dont mess with the ocean!

Forum List

Back