Ethnic Cleansing - what is it?

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Ethnic cleansing is a strong term - like a lightweight genocide. And it's a term (like genocide) that gets thrown around a lot.

What is ethnic cleansing?

What situations can be considered ethnic cleansing?

Are population shifts or expulsions as a result of or in the process of war "ethnic cleansing"?

Are planned population transfers "ethnic cleansing"?

Wikipedia defines it as follows:
Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or religious groups from a given territory by a more powerful ethnic group, with the intent of making it ethnically homogeneous.[1] The forces applied may be various forms of forced migration (deportation, population transfer), intimidation, as well as mass murder and rape.

Ethnic cleansing is usually accompanied with the efforts to remove physical and cultural evidence of the targeted group in the territory through the destruction of homes, social centers, farms, and infrastructure, and by the desecration of monuments, cemeteries, and places of worship
.​

History.com has this to say:

“Ethnic cleansing” has been defined as the attempt to get rid of (through deportation, displacement or even mass killing) members of an unwanted ethnic group in order to establish an ethnically homogenous geographic area. Though “cleansing” campaigns for ethnic or religious reasons have existed throughout history, the rise of extreme nationalist movements during the 20th century led to an unprecedented level of ethnically motivated brutality, including the Turkish massacre of Armenians during World War I; the Nazi Holocaust’s annihilation of some six million European Jews; and the forced displacement and mass killings carried out in the former Yugoslavia and the African country of Rwanda during the 1990s.​

In defining it, one thing is clear. One is intent - there needs to be intent to make an area ethnically homogenius. Without intent, it's not ethnic cleansing.

What I see as clear cut examples of ethnic cleansing are:
The Holocaust
The Bosnian/Yugoslavia/Serbian conflict
The Rwandan conflict
The Armenian genocide
The Rohinga in Myanmar
The American treatment of Native Americans
ISIS' actions towards religious minorities, in particular the Azidi's.
The population transfers in the Partition of India
The deliberate population transfers under Stalin in the USSR.
The deliberate expulsion of Jews from Arab Countries.
The expulsion of Palestinians from Palestine.

I'm sure there are others going on that I can't think of for the moment.

Seems to me expulsion and extermination are two different things.

The expulsion of Jews and Muslims from the Iberian peninsula (unless they converted), versus Jeffrey Amherst sending smallpox-infected blankets to the Indians to make them take sick and die...

I guess they could broadly fit under "ethnic cleansing" but to my ear the term is usually used to mean extermination.

30 years war, an ethnic cleansing in massive scale, provided such a sterile environment in europe, it gave birth to the nationalism ideas that the whole western civilization built upon and still would not be able to survive without...

Ethnic cleansing is a strong term - like a lightweight genocide. And it's a term (like genocide) that gets thrown around a lot.

Are population shifts or expulsions as a result of or in the process of war "ethnic cleansing"?

Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or religious groups from a given territory by a more powerful ethnic group, with the intent of making it ethnically homogeneous.[1] The forces applied may be various forms of forced migration (deportation, population transfer), intimidation, as well as mass murder and rape.

Ethnic cleansing is usually accompanied with the efforts to remove physical and cultural evidence of the targeted group in the territory through the destruction of homes, social centers, farms, and infrastructure, and by the desecration of monuments, cemeteries, and places of worship
.​

“Ethnic cleansing” has been defined as the attempt to get rid of (through deportation, displacement or even mass killing) members of an unwanted ethnic group in order to establish an ethnically homogenous geographic area. Though “cleansing” campaigns for ethnic or religious reasons have existed throughout history, the rise of extreme nationalist movements during the 20th century led to an unprecedented level of ethnically motivated brutality, including the Turkish massacre of Armenians during World War I; the Nazi Holocaust’s annihilation of some six million European Jews; and the forced displacement and mass killings carried out in the former Yugoslavia and the African country of Rwanda during the 1990s.​

In defining it, one thing is clear. One is intent - there needs to be intent to make an area ethnically homogenius. Without intent, it's not ethnic cleansing.

The Holocaust
The Rwandan conflict
The Armenian genocide
The Rohinga in Myanmar

to be sure you got most of it wrong-------"population transfers in the partition
of India"??? Who 'transferred populations'??? Did someone announce
"the government has issued a decree that all muslims must leave Bombay"??
Did Gandhiji know? did you leave out INTENT altogether?

The expulsion of Jews and Muslims from the Iberian peninsula (unless they converted), versus Jeffrey Amherst sending smallpox-infected blankets to the Indians to make them take sick and die...

When I think of ethnic cleansing and the native tribes I'm thinking of the forced suppression of their languages, culture, religion, the expulsion from their tribal lands to "reservations", the forced Christianization of their children etc etc. And that is comparable to the expulsion of the Jews imo.

.​

The Holocaust
The Rwandan conflict
The Armenian genocide
The Rohinga in Myanmar

to be sure you got most of it wrong-------"population transfers in the partition

It seems that the people murdering trainloads of Hindus and Muslems had intent don't you think?

As for "most of it" being wrong - well, what do you consider ethnic cleansing?

When I think of ethnic cleansing and the native tribes I'm thinking of the forced suppression of their languages, culture, religion, the expulsion from their tribal lands to "reservations", the forced Christianization of their children etc etc. And that is comparable to the expulsion of the Jews imo.

you left out the systematic persecution of left handed persons

Yes, Canada's going through a lot of penitence for that right now. They did all of that with their indigenous population.

Certainly there's no reason that can't be described as "ethnic cleansing". It does fit. I just get the sense that in practice it's usually a synonym for genocide. Perhaps it shouldn't be, or perhaps I misperceive.

.​

The Holocaust
The Rwandan conflict
The Armenian genocide
The Rohinga in Myanmar

It seems that the people murdering trainloads of Hindus and Muslems had intent don't you think?

the murdering of trainloads of muslims ---and hindus was not GOVERNMENT
POLICY------it was just Muslim/Hindu hatred------a kind of tribal thing. Are you
suggesting that recognized leaders INSTIGATED IT?

.​

The Holocaust
The Rwandan conflict
The Armenian genocide
The Rohinga in Myanmar

I believe that ETHNIC CLEANSING is a phenomenon that TAKES
PLACE in all human societies------it is a "more or less" issue -----and an issue
of "JUST HOW BARBARIC" it gets

It is simply the organised transportation of a foriegn ethnic group to the traditionally held lands of another ethnic group. There can be only one.

If you look at the Baltic states there is a case that ethnic russians who settled there were part of an ethnic cleansing to dilute the native people of those countries.
Another variant would be in Wales where the english have tried for centuries to stamp out the Welsh Language.
Australia is another disgrace.
I would also consider the treatment of Christians in some middle eastern countries and also South Sudan where it seems to be getting worse.
East Timor is a shocking story.

Ethnic Cleansing - what is it?

hillary-clinton-orange-pantsuit.jpg

Is that when you wipe an ethnic, like with a cloth or something?

you left out the systematic persecution of left handed persons

I'm sorry.

.​

The Holocaust
The Rwandan conflict
The Armenian genocide
The Rohinga in Myanmar

I believe that ETHNIC CLEANSING is a phenomenon that TAKES
PLACE in all human societies------it is a "more or less" issue -----and an issue
of "JUST HOW BARBARIC" it gets

I agree.

If you look at the Baltic states there is a case that ethnic russians who settled there were part of an ethnic cleansing to dilute the native people of those countries.
Another variant would be in Wales where the english have tried for centuries to stamp out the Welsh Language.
I would also consider the treatment of Christians in some middle eastern countries and also South Sudan where it seems to be getting worse.

How have the English tried to stamp out the Welsh language, when millions from tax payers' money has been spent on bi-lingual road signs, place names, and everything else municipal?

How have the English tried to stamp out the Welsh language, when millions from tax payers' money has been spent on bi-lingual road signs, place names, and everything else municipal?

come off it------learn a bit of history

Read a book.

Read a book.

I don't need to. I have family there.

Forum List

Back