Even Jesus wouldn't buy the rapture

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Opinion: Even Jesus wouldn't buy 'the rapture' - CNN.com

HBO has just launched a new TV series based on a novel by Tom Perrotta called "The Leftovers," which in turn is based on the fundamentalist Christian idea of the rapture. Apart from the title, which suggests a refrigerator full of stale food, the series looks promising.

The rapture notion goes like this: Jesus is coming back, and when he does, he will first return before a time of so-called tribulation begins, calling up into the clouds with him those who are "saved." Horrible suffering will then occur on the miserable Earth for seven years. Then Jesus will come yet again, for a final judging. There are many different versions of this scenario, so it's difficult to summarize. It's fair to say, however, that only fundamentalist Protestant churches bother to think about the rapture at all. (Catholics discount the idea completely.)

The rapture concept is relatively new. It started with an Anglo-Irish theologian, who in the 1830s invented the concept. This may come as a shocker to many, but it's a fact: Before John Nelson Darby imagined this scenario in the clouds, no Christian had ever heard of the rapture.

IMO, it is really just so whacked, so utterly bizarre that, out of whole cloth, this buy thought this up and now people actually buy into it.

But, I do agree with the op/ed - that the TV show looks promising. I hope they don't wreck with a bunch of preachy bible garbage.

Not only is the Rapture NOT in the Bible but many of these people think they're gonna' get raptured BEFORE the Tribulation so they won't have to go through it.

That's not true.

I'm convinced that the whole "rapture" thing was made up to make real God fearing people just roll over and take whatever oppression is heaped upon them in the false belief that they're gonna' stay clear of it in the end.

They won't be.

Too bad the editor from CNN doesn't have a Bible degree.

Okay, so you're saying you DO have a bible "degree", whatever the hell THAT is, and you're saying rapture is in the bible?

Actually, the author does cover that, but I'd rather hear it from a self-proclaimed authority.

Bible degree? :laugh2:

Yea from goobers skool of bibling mail order degrees

Stange how these christian slack jawed inbred pastors all have Doctorates from these unaccredited mail order chritian skools of bibling mills :eek:

Okay, so you're saying you DO have a bible "degree", whatever the hell THAT is, and you're saying rapture is in the bible?

Actually, the author does cover that, but I'd rather hear it from a self-proclaimed authority.

You to can have a bibling degree , just send in 79.99 and you to can be a doctor preacher of holy ghost biblin'!!!

http://www.ministers-best-friend.co...Two-Four-Year-with-Masters-and-Doctorate.html

Last edited:

You to can have a bibling degree , just send in 79.99 and you to can be a doctor preacher of holy ghost biblin'!!!

FREE DEGREES, Two-Year, Four-Year & Master's in Bible - Accredited

Day-um ... That's pretty pricey.

But, I guess they can make it back uh-marrying folk. Then, they can dee-clare them-self a church and get into making some big bucks.

That old time religion is quite a lucrative racket.

But, I guess they can make it back uh-marrying folk. Then, they can dee-clare them-self a church and get into making some big bucks.

There seems to be a proliferation of “Doctors” in the church today.

While many black pastors have called each other “doc” over the decades, there are many pastors who are pursuing their doctoral studies to be more effective in Gospel ministry.

There are also pimps, pimpettes, and false teachers who seek to acquire the title of “doctor” to make you think they’re more knowledgeable about scripture so that they can shake you down for more money.

How A Televangelist Becomes A ?Doctor?? | I'm Speaking Truth...

Get your biblin"degrees" within 7 days!!

No Classes
No Studying
No Fee
No Wait!!!

College Degree Fast, in 7 Days. Professional Graduate Package

Last edited:

Get your biblin"degrees" within 7 days!!

No Classes
No Studying
No Fee
No Wait!!!

College Degree Fast, in 7 Days. Professional Graduate Package

Thirty-seven different courses offered free of charge. Certificate awarded upon completion of each course. After the introductory course, you choose what you want to study. Diplomas and degrees also offered.:uhoh3:

courses

I'm not saying I have a Bible degree.

Six in 10 evangelical leaders, or 61 percent, say they believe in the Rapture of the Church compared to 32 percent who say the End Times doesn't happen exactly this way, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life survey.

The survey was based on responses from nearly 2,200 evangelical leaders at the Third Lausanne Congress on World Evangelization – a global gathering of 4,500 evangelical leaders from over 190 nations that was held last fall in Cape Town, South Africa.

Majorities of leaders from the Global South – which included Asia & the Pacific, Central & South America, Middle East/North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa – and the Global North – which included Europe and North America – with the exception of Europe believe in the Rapture of the Church.

Evangelical leaders from sub-Saharan Africa were the most likely to believe in the Rapture, with 82 percent subscribing to this End Times belief.

Survey: Majority of Evangelical Leaders Believe in Rapture; Imminent Return of Jesus

They have Bible degrees and they believe in the rapture.

I've listened to Dr. Oliver B. Green and Dr. J. Vernon McGee and they both believe in the rapture. Dr. Oliver B. Green found the rapture in the Bible himself so when the so called experts say it didn't exist till Darby or Scofield then you really are starting a debate based on personalities instead of evidence. The same unsaved teachers in the Church don't teach it yet they are hypocrites because they don't follow the Bible or believe in the Bible so when you say that teachers don't teach it, what you are saying is you believe in the apostates. God had apostles but never had a pope speaking for him. We're all more qualified to speak than someone who is a false teacher or who is unsaved. God's word is based on the Bible and He wrote it down so you can't lie.

Six in 10 evangelical leaders, or 61 percent, say they believe in the Rapture of the Church compared to 32 percent who say the End Times doesn't happen exactly this way, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life survey.

The survey was based on responses from nearly 2,200 evangelical leaders at the Third Lausanne Congress on World Evangelization – a global gathering of 4,500 evangelical leaders from over 190 nations that was held last fall in Cape Town, South Africa.

Majorities of leaders from the Global South – which included Asia & the Pacific, Central & South America, Middle East/North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa – and the Global North – which included Europe and North America – with the exception of Europe believe in the Rapture of the Church.

Evangelical leaders from sub-Saharan Africa were the most likely to believe in the Rapture, with 82 percent subscribing to this End Times belief.

Survey: Majority of Evangelical Leaders Believe in Rapture; Imminent Return of Jesus

I've listened to Dr. Oliver B. Green and Dr. J. Vernon McGee and they both believe in the rapture. Dr. Oliver B. Green found the rapture in the Bible himself so when the so called experts say it didn't exist till Darby or Scofield then you really are starting a debate based on personalities instead of evidence. The same unsaved teachers in the Church don't teach it yet they are hypocrites because they don't follow the Bible or believe in the Bible so when you say that teachers don't teach it, what you are saying is you believe in the apostates. God had apostles but never had a pope speaking for him. We're all more qualified to speak than someone who is a false teacher or who is unsaved. God's word is based on the Bible and He wrote it down so you can't lie.

So you're qualified to have an opinion but if anyone else does, they've got to have a "bible" degree.

How convenient.

And hypocritical.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I have more academic Christian books than my wife who does hold several Bible degrees and I've written more on the Bible. I've volunteered for people who did have Bible degrees and I went to a Biblical Institute.

Don't be sure that the information from CNN is correct because I can look it up in more resources than you whereas you might not be able to.

So you're qualified to have an opinion but if anyone else does, they've got to have a "bible" degree.

How convenient.

And hypocritical.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I have a college degree and my college degree teaches that they have to be credentialed which they are not.

Forum List

Back